Why do women wear tank tops to the gym more than men?

Options

Replies

• godot77
    Options
    I like to show off my sexy arm fat.
    LOL!! Me too.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i wear them because i live in the south and july is regularly 100 degrees outside. and who likes wet stinky fabric bunched up in their armpits while they are trying to do something? Not this gal. In fact if my gym was cool with me working out in my undies i totally would. because their a/c sucks and it gets hot in there. what do you have against seeing arms and shoulders? are ankles off limits too?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Don't care what any one thinks of my tank tops.

I wear them b/c I like them- I hate baggy shirts and I refuse to justify what I'm wearing to anyone.

Secondly- I'd take my tank top over the open sided nipple shirts men tend to wear- with the sides cut out so all that's there is a front strip a bottom hem band and a back strip off the collar.

Seriously. WTF.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Because going topless like a lot of guys do is generally frowned upon because of certain frontal accessories.

When I see a woman topless, I never, ever frown.

never.

:wink:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Most people I see at the gym are in tanks or fitted T-shirts. I thought it was because baggier clothes could get in the way of arm movement while lifting, but now I know it is because we are all showing off. I mean, I already knew I was showing off, but now I don't feel like such an attention *kitten*.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Because going topless like a lot of guys do is generally frowned upon because of certain frontal accessories.

When I see a woman topless, I never, ever frown.

never.

:wink:

I have seen things in the locker room that could change that.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I got some tanks from Frederick's of Hollywood. Super on sale and I needed new work out stuff. You know what? those things are made of supper thin material, baggy and the most comfortable darn work out shirts I have ever worn. I hate my shoulders feeling constricted, so that's why I go for tanks. Also, unless I specifically go out to buy a shirt that is too big or is uni-sex cut, I can't stand women's shirts for working out. The baby-doll cut is too restrictive. Oh and then if I do get a baggy T-shirt, then the seems chafe my armpits. TANKS ALL THE WAY!
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Because I don't think about other people when I pick out what clothes are comfortable for me to wear at the gym.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    T-shirts make me feel restricted. I don't like the way they bunch up around my middle. I don't like the way they make me feel suffocated on the top. And I don't like the way a lot of the women's tees arms are cut.

But yeah, let's go with attention whoring.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I wear tank tops all the time because I feel like I am choking in a tee shirt when I'm working out! I cannot stand the feeling of a sweaty tee and then it starts clinging to you and pulling at the arms and neck!! I also won't wear ANY jewelry either for the same reason. It's just me but if I'm working hard, the last thing I need is for stuff to get in my way.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I don't care what I wear when I work out. I'm there to better myself and I don't try to look pretty doing it. However, women's workout clothing consists of tanks and short shorts. When I run, this is great. When I lift, I prefer to not wear short shorts.
  • lisq89
    lisq89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Because women are more likey to buy clothing specifically for working out, and men are more likely to wear an old t shirt, or one from a corperate event or sponsored run.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to wear a t shirt when I am working out, it's too restrictive and just not comfortable.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    << I work out in that. The joys of exercising at home.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Because the more skin showing, the better ventilation. I wear tanks and I haven't shaved in over a year. SORRY DUDEBROS.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    At my gym it is the opposite with men showing there small bodies and muscles LOL. The guys who have muscle definition to show usually keep it cover. I cannot say why the reason is so. Ladies do not wear tanks but they do wear skintight clothes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i wear them because i live in the south and july is regularly 100 degrees outside. and who likes wet stinky fabric bunched up in their armpits while they are trying to do something? Not this gal. In fact if my gym was cool with me working out in my undies i totally would. because their a/c sucks and it gets hot in there. what do you have against seeing arms and shoulders? are ankles off limits too?
    Don't you know that if a man sees a woman's ankle, he will RAPE HER??? Because he just can't help himself. Those ankles, they're just so tantalizing.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    In modern Western civilization, it is acceptable for women to wear clothes that are sleeveless (dresses, blouses), even in business and formal settings. For example, at my wedding, my wife's entire bridal party wore dresses without sleeves, while my party had to wear shirts, vests, a coat, and even pants...so in a gym environment, it seems reasonable that more women would wear tank tops.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I probably do it for the attention.

I mean, they have those catwalk-machines there right?

Heelathon-250933-1024x768.jpg

I like you.

Also, fixed it for you.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    rumsfeld.gif

So. damn. funny!