Why do women wear tank tops to the gym more than men?

Options

Replies

• Whagwan83
    Whagwan83 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wear vests as I get very hot and uncomfortable very quickly in a T.

Even when I play sport like football (soccer) and tag rugby I wear a vest top, even in the depths of winter. (I've even played in the snow before and my only concession was to wear a short sleeve compression top under my vest.)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    They're sexier? And this is important to women. :bigsmile:
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Well I can't stand feeling restricted and tank tops don't pull when I move my arms. Also, have you tried on women's clothing?? Most t shirts for working out have tiny little sleeves that pinch in the armpit area, or they're ginormous and flap about. Has nothing to do with wanting to show off my guns (although a nice biproduct) and has all to do with my own comfort and free range of motion.
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? The only thing that matters is that they're working out.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    "makes a note to self: tomorrow at the gym i must wear full lenghth joggers and a hoodie"

Oh no, thats right, i want to be comfy whilst working out and not in clothes that will make me pass out from being too hot.

nearly all my tops (for gym or every day wear) are vest tops, they are comfy. Im not completely sure what the issue of having arms on show is??, its not like they are topless (like some men) or working out in little lacey knickers.

heres an idea for you>>>>>> instead of perving on what the ladies are wearing and checking out their arms, you could actually concentrate on your work out
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Women are far more likely to be attention *kitten*, that's why.

Or maybe because if you actually workout, it gets hot??? ~SMH at this~
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I don't know but in my experience women tend to wear less clothing than men overall. Compare a skirt and blouse to a suit and tie, or board shorts to a bikini. I'm really not too upset by any of this.
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options
    Great topic...I am retired military and workout on base. A couple of years ago the base commander implemented a policy neither men nor women could wear anything sleeveless, in fact the had desk clerks that would make you leave if you tried to work out in anything but sleeved shirts. the policy went even further with a photo board of what was and wasn't acceptable attire for the gym. Thats when a lot of friends joined local gyms. He is gone now and everything is back to normal but I thought I would share.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Because going topless like a lot of guys do is generally frowned upon because of certain frontal accessories.

Might make work out harder!! No pun intended :noway: :love:
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I wear them because I can't afford all the expensive workout clothes and tanks are a cheap alternative.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It's easier to spot if you're getting manly arms if they're uncovered so you can immediately run to a Zumba class to fix the problem.

I just like tank tops. It never crossed my mind about "showing off" my arms. Besides....it's the gym. Why would I want to peacock in for a bunch of people whose attention I don't want anyway!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I wear both kinds in moisture wicking fabric ( found some half off at K-mart recently). Though I did wear a big t-shirt at first and found myself constantly adjusting it; were it was trying to fall off one shoulder or the other.
    Also I do like seeing my guns. :)
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yup - I hate being able to "feel" my clothes when I'm working out - find it distracting - it's the same reason I wear booty shorts or compression pants instead of sweats. That said, almost ALL the guys under 50 in my gym (and some over 50) wear tanks as well.
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wear a tank top because I'm too fat to wear a sports bra only, and anything more is too much. I am really susceptible to migraines when I get too hot, so when I workout, I like to stay as cool as possible
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    I like to see the muscle working, and I am proud to show off what I have worked hard for. Shrug*
  • luna8318
    luna8318 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Double Post >.<
  • luna8318
    luna8318 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't even like my arms, but the shirts are 1) comfortable, and 2) more easily available. I hadn't even thought about what others might think before seeing this post.... Why does everyone think women HAVE to care about what others think of their clothing choices?
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    because it's freaking hot and i try to wear as less as possible. i am 50 pounds over weight and believe me i have nothing to show off, i just prefer to be comfortable.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I wear tank tops at the gym because I'm more comfortable, less hot, and....yeah. I don't do it to show off my arms or shoulders haaha
  • in_lieu_of
    in_lieu_of Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm an attention *kitten*...my attention. All my hard work, and the first place it showed/shows up if my upper body, arms, and back. So yup, to inspire me on my squats that I feel haven't done a daggone thing, I see my biceps while squatting and feel like SOMETHING is working.