Why do so many women care what men prefer?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Because they have a need to reproduce and to do that, they feel compelled to compete for the sexual attention of the best males. So nature.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I only care about what my husband prefers...ok, that's a lie. I still do what I want.

My husband told me he doesn't like combat boots and flannels on women even though they are back in style. I might just get some to spite him. The late 90s were awesome.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Men are very visual. Women are compatible with that. It's part of evolution.
    Science bishes. :tongue: lol

:glasses:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I only care about what my husband prefers...ok, that's a lie. I still do what I want.

My husband told me he doesn't like combat boots and flannels on women even though they are back in style. I might just get some to spite him. The late 90s were awesome.
    Wear that right and it's awesome!

But that's more early-to-mid '90s. If there's one thing I know, it's Grunge. Bring on the Pearl Jam.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    hmm? It's an idea spread by classical economists followed by Austrian economists, rejecting labor theory of value (Marx and others who believe value is proportional to the societal labor put in). Not pseudo-intellectualism. Not scientific fact either.

it forms the basis of modern free market philosophy

Your post would've been quite helpful without the "hmm?". I find the addition vaguely condescending. Is that what you were going for?

I do have to read more about the specific theory. I mentioned that.

My point is the idea that worth is generated only through the process of having more than one person evaluate and try to compare how much they want an entity/object is self-evident. It is the very nature of the concept of worth. I would assess it pseudo-intellectualism if it is merely a discussion of what seems obvious, regardless of pedigree. If it, however brings out new concepts, I'd love to know more.

And based on the new information you provided above, if the theory is a discussion of potential practical applications to an economy that's also understandable, if drier, but quite frankly, less interesting to me.

But, I do want to find out more. So, thanks. :smile:

"hmmm" because you implied a question but it went unasked (is it pseudo intellectualism or not).

The potential application is more for economic theory. Like you said, it's rather obvious for everything else. It brings out a number of concepts in economics, yes. More importantly, if you accept it as truth, then it completely rules out Marxism, communism, populism in many forms, etc. Labor has no ownership of a product outside a contract. Price equilibrium hinges on subjective theory of value.

I'm sure it has applications outside econ, like this topic for instance, but it's not as interesting.

I think it also has applications to art, public financing, etc. Example: If "art" is produced, and no one will buy it at any price, does it have value? do governments and other entities fund the creation of of art that can't be sold (holds no subjective value)? Should it be bought and stored for display at a later date? it has interesting elements when you look at subjective value over time, as value changes with time.

sorry for the thread derail.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

But that's more early-to-mid '90s. If there's one thing I know, it's Grunge. Bring on the Pearl Jam.

Maybe we were just slow to pick up on the trend here, or at least I was. It was definitely high school for me and I graduated in 98.
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Really sick of the insecurity answer. How about because it's only natural to want to appeal to the opposite sex ... it's called sexual selection. If only we could admit to ourselves that we want to secure a sexual partner instead of berating other women for wanting to do exactly that. Disclaimer: not to be mistaken for putting up with abusive, degrading, or non-reciprocating partners, aka making sammiches for a demanding man who never makes you sammiches in return and doesn't respect you.
    Agreed times a thousand.

I agree with this as well. What is wrong with trying to appeal to the opposite sex, if it is within reason?
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Really sick of the insecurity answer. How about because it's only natural to want to appeal to the opposite sex ... it's called sexual selection. If only we could admit to ourselves that we want to secure a sexual partner instead of berating other women for wanting to do exactly that. Disclaimer: not to be mistaken for putting up with abusive, degrading, or non-reciprocating partners, aka making sammiches for a demanding man who never makes you sammiches in return and doesn't respect you.
    Agreed times a thousand.

I agree with this as well. What is wrong with trying to appeal to the opposite sex, if it is within reason?

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with it.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    I like making sammiches.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Why can't anyone be real about this topic?

Men are allowed to have preferences, same as women. And if a man does have a preference that precludes a relationship with you, wouldn't you like to know that upfront so as not to waste your time and energy on him?

Caring about a man's preferences does not equate to trying to mold yourself to meet them.

I think the more important issue here is why so many women seem to believe that men all collectively prefer the same things.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Men are allowed to have preferences, same as women. And if a man does have a preference that precludes a relationship with you, wouldn't you like to know that upfront so as not to waste your time and energy on him?

Caring about a man's preferences does not equate to trying to mold yourself to meet them.

I think the more important issue here is why so many women seem to believe that men all collectively prefer the same things.

Srs.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Srs.

Yeah! I agree!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i only ever care about a mans opinion if i want to have intercourse with him

and even then its very little

i look however i want to look ...its all about me
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't. If I did, then I might be someone I didn't like.
    I like me the way I am. Take it or leave it..

don-t-care-o.gif[/url]
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Maybe we were just slow to pick up on the trend here, or at least I was. It was definitely high school for me and I graduated in 98.

I love flannel. I'd wear it even if my husband hate it...he likes it, so I'm good there. He does hate it when I eat in bed, but I do it anyway, b/c I'm slightly disgusting!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    of course they need to know what they prefer.

white bread or brown bread

hot mustard or mild mustard

ham or turkey.

if you dont know what they prefer, you cant make the right sandwich