Any flexitarians? How do you explain your diet to others?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Seeing as you think that regular ol' omnivores eat vegetarian dishes, you probably wouldn't ask. Where I live, only vegetarians eat the vegetarian dishes. Sad, but true. But at least those who have asked haven't been rude enough to then roll their eyes at me. ;-)

People where you live who aren't vegetarians NEVER eat anything that doesn't have meat in it?

I don't believe that.

what I am finding interesting is that we have two things here.... specific vegetarian dishes... and then none meat dishes.

So if you order a none meat dish- it's okay- but if you specifically order a vegetarian dish- that's when you might get labelled.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what's the difference and why people are making a thing of it.
    Well, I'm a vegetarian (an actual one who does not ever eat meat -- not sure why people think they're vegetarians when they eat meat???) and I don't know the difference.

I guess at a wedding or something where you're choosing between chicken, fish or the vegetarian option? Or on a trans-Atlantic flight that serves food and that's an option?

In a restaurant, I just order something without meat. We went to a steakhouse Tuesday night and I had potato soup and cheese sticks. At parties, it's usually buffet-style and I simply choose foods that don't have meat in them. No one cares. People seem overly concerned with accommodating vegetarians. I have yet to go somewhere that didn't have something I could eat because most sides and finger foods don't have meat in them. I make due.

And if there isn't anything for me, I'm not there to eat, anyway. I'm there for the company or the event or whatever. I'm not going to die of starvation if I have to skip a meal or eat later.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ...[....snip]
    I simply choose foods that don't have meat in them. No one cares. People seem overly concerned with accommodating vegetarians. I have yet to go somewhere that didn't have something I could eat because most sides and finger foods don't have meat in them. I make due.

And if there isn't anything for me, I'm not there to eat, anyway. I'm there for the company or the event or whatever. I'm not going to die of starvation if I have to skip a meal or eat later.
    kind of what I was thinking really- or perhaps you and I are just missing something LOL

I mean I obviously eat meat- and even I can make my way around a table with plenty of none meat items- because there is usually plenty of said "other" things. I just don't understand the big to do (because if I walk away from a luncheon party- usually I have whatever plain meat I can find- and I raid the veggie tray like it's my job- mostly b/c I don't eat pastas/breads- so- even with veggies I make out pretty well- and then if I took off the meat and add in pasta type dishes- I would be fully fine with no meat products. )

people I think like to make things harder than they are- and they like to worry.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think your last paragraph says it all: Why should you defend the way you eat?

As a vegetarian myself I don't feel like I have tell people what I eat or don't. Even when I'm invited to dinner somewhere I don't tell people I'm one unless they specifically ask me if I have any dietary restrictions. If they don't I will bring a dish I can eat to share with all. Most people make a salad and I can partake of something my host makes.

I don't think that being a vegetarian is work. It comes natural to me and I don't judge others for eating meat. Being a vegetarian or vegan doesn't make anyone morally superior. You have to do what works for your body and your health and it seems to be different for different people.
  • susanyounkin
    susanyounkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Seeing as you think that regular ol' omnivores eat vegetarian dishes, you probably wouldn't ask. Where I live, only vegetarians eat the vegetarian dishes. Sad, but true. But at least those who have asked haven't been rude enough to then roll their eyes at me. ;-)

People where you live who aren't vegetarians NEVER eat anything that doesn't have meat in it?

I don't believe that.

Believe it or not, but around here even the freakin green beans are made with ham. The baked beans are topped with bacon slices. So going to Christmas dinner is a pain in the rear. The salads offered usually have some kind of meat in them too, whether it's shredded chicken or crumbled bacon. I always bring a fully veggie salad and only my immediate family eats it. I can eat the mashed potatoes, the white rolls, and the buttered corn. Sigh. So yeah, when your plate looks like what you brought yourself and a tiny scoop of mashed potatoes and buttered corn. It brings out questions.
    I didn't say they never eat anything that doesn't have meat in it. I said they don't eat the vegetarian dishes. So if we go out to a restaurant and I order the salad (that doesn't have steak or chicken or salmon) then it comes along with a happy helping of questions. Anything from "where do you get your protein" (even if it has beans or chickpeas or even cheese) to "how can you eat that rabbit food?"
  • susanyounkin
    susanyounkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I don't believe that.

what I am finding interesting is that we have two things here.... specific vegetarian dishes... and then none meat dishes.

So if you order a none meat dish- it's okay- but if you specifically order a vegetarian dish- that's when you might get labelled.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what's the difference and why people are making a thing of it.

The difference as I see it is whether or not it is an entree. I am using the term vegetarian dish to mean a main entree that is non-meat.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

I guess at a wedding or something where you're choosing between chicken, fish or the vegetarian option? Or on a trans-Atlantic flight that serves food and that's an option?

Has no one here attended one of those all-day corporate training events where a buffet lunch is served and one of the wait staff enters the room and bellows, "Who's getting the vegetarian/gluten-free plate?" Granted, it's the most expeditious way of identifying which guests get the Special Meal, but does draw attention to the outliers.
  • 2013Rickenbacker
    2013Rickenbacker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was recently at a BBQ and ate one of the Veggie Burgers, and the questions I got were endless. I was ony eating it because I liked it so that's what I told people, but they just looked perplexed. Eventually I started telling them I wasn't deep enough to be a vegatarian and they seemed pretty satisfied with that answer. I don't know what that says about me, and I really don't care. :) Anyone for a veggie/beef burger?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Has no one here attended one of those all-day corporate training events where a buffet lunch is served and one of the wait staff enters the room and bellows, "Who's getting the vegetarian/gluten-free plate?" Granted, it's the most expeditious way of identifying which guests get the Special Meal, but does draw attention to the outliers.
    If there's a buffet, I wouldn't request a special dish for being a vegetarian because there would be plenty of non-veg options.

And, no, I have never seem wait staff do anything like that in any situation. That should be worked out beforehand.
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    if i were in your situation i would probably feel as such: anyone who would get offended by the food i eat is not someone i care enough about to explain my dietary habits.

and leave it at that.
  • anomar6
    anomar6 Posts: 12
    Options
    I eat what I want when I feel like it and don't feel a need to explain it to anyone.

Now please pass the rabbit tongue and the fried ant larvae.