Any flexitarians? How do you explain your diet to others?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Trying too hard at what? At answering a direct question? I'm not just throwing this term out there for no reason. When someone asks a question, I answer it. Just as others answer that they are gluten-free, or low-carb, or any other number of diet options. I answer in the shortest and easiest answer possible.
    Maybe you don't need to "splain nothin" but I will answer a question when it is asked.

I don't know. Im with JRocka. If you say flexitarian, then you have to explain what that means. And then people will look at you funny because it's kind of like you just eat a traditional omnivore diet, which most people do...

Much easier to say, sometimes I like to eat veggies. Today is that kind of day.

I don't get the need to explain everything. If someone cares that much, then they are weird to me.

Explaining is not a big deal to me. It's a conversation. Usually people who ask are simply curious, so I answer their questions. Saying I "have to explain" makes it sound like a chore. I didn't intend for it to sound that way. I was just answering the OP as to what I say when specifically asked.
    Maybe in your area people who are not vegetarian often forgo meat, but I live in a very rural, very hunter-oriented area. There is always meat on the table, and some will even feel slighted if you don't take some.

I would never ask someone something about what they are eating BUT if I did, and they responded with "I'm a flexitarian" it would be natural to ask, "what is a flexitarian?". I think the term draws unnecessary attention to your diet. It's silly. You eat like most people. Why not just say, I'm not having meat because I don't feel like eating meat right now. Putting a label on something that is really quite normal is just silly to me, no matter where you are from.

And, yes, upon learning that a flexitarian is actually just a regular 'ol omnivore, I would roll my eyes and think "pretentious:"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not asking because I do not care what you eat.

As long as you are eating well rounded and balanced moderated food- hit your macros and are successfully meeting your goals- I'm wildly happy for you.

It doesn't need a label. It's what you like to eat. That's all there is to it.
    It just seems strange to me that you don't care what I eat, but you do care what I call it.

Now that's a a discussion we ARE having. I just don't get why everything needs a name- I'm not a name/label person.

and also a lot of this
    And, yes, upon learning that a flexitarian is actually just a regular 'ol omnivore, I would roll my eyes and think "pretentious:"
    because at some point someone is going to ask me and say- hey are you a flexitarian and then I might be forced to punch someone in the face because it's just silly.

I still feel like you're over estimating my "care" and underestimating the likelihood my boss is not in- and I'd rather be researching Alaskan meat diets than cleaning my desk ;)
  • susanyounkin
    susanyounkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options

As long as you are eating well rounded and balanced moderated food- hit your macros and are successfully meeting your goals- I'm wildly happy for you.

It just seems strange to me that you don't care what I eat, but you do care what I call it.

Now that's a a discussion we ARE having. I just don't get why everything needs a name- I'm not a name/label person.
    I still feel like you're over estimating my "care" and underestimating the likelihood my boss is not in- and I'd rather be researching Alaskan meat diets than cleaning my desk ;)

LOL! I'm avoiding my work too. I've got a stack of papers to grade, I just can't face right now.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Because we've all gone to parties where we have hear ad nauseum about someone's special, but not really special, diet plans. :laugh:
  • susanyounkin
    Options
    Trying too hard at what? At answering a direct question? I'm not just throwing this term out there for no reason. When someone asks a question, I answer it. Just as others answer that they are gluten-free, or low-carb, or any other number of diet options. I answer in the shortest and easiest answer possible.
    Maybe you don't need to "splain nothin" but I will answer a question when it is asked.

I don't know. Im with JRocka. If you say flexitarian, then you have to explain what that means. And then people will look at you funny because it's kind of like you just eat a traditional omnivore diet, which most people do...

I don't get the need to explain everything. If someone cares that much, then they are weird to me.

Explaining is not a big deal to me. It's a conversation. Usually people who ask are simply curious, so I answer their questions. Saying I "have to explain" makes it sound like a chore. I didn't intend for it to sound that way. I was just answering the OP as to what I say when specifically asked.
    Maybe in your area people who are not vegetarian often forgo meat, but I live in a very rural, very hunter-oriented area. There is always meat on the table, and some will even feel slighted if you don't take some.

I would never ask someone something about what they are eating BUT if I did, and they responded with "I'm a flexitarian" it would be natural to ask, "what is a flexitarian?". I think the term draws unnecessary attention to your diet. It's silly. You eat like most people. Why not just say, I'm not having meat because I don't feel like eating meat right now. Putting a label on something that is really quite normal is just silly to me, no matter where you are from.

Seeing as you think that regular ol' omnivores eat vegetarian dishes, you probably wouldn't ask. Where I live, only vegetarians eat the vegetarian dishes. Sad, but true. But at least those who have asked haven't been rude enough to then roll their eyes at me. ;-)
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. No need to read into it! A simple answer will suffice :)
  • susanyounkin
    Options

Because we've all gone to parties where we have hear ad nauseum about someone's special, but not really special, diet plans. :laugh:

If they don't want to hear anymore, all they have to do is stop asking follow-up questions.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    "Are you a vegetarian?"

My response "No."

Keep it moving.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Seeing as you think that regular ol' omnivores eat vegetarian dishes, you probably wouldn't ask. Where I live, only vegetarians eat the vegetarian dishes. Sad, but true. But at least those who have asked haven't been rude enough to then roll their eyes at me. ;-)

I'm not saying I would do it to your face. Just probably behind your back when you walk away.

All kidding aside, any time I have ever been questioned and my response has been "this looks good to me," no one has ever followed up with more questions.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I usually just say I'm trying to eat less meat, but am not a vegetarian.
  • susanyounkin
    Options

I'm not saying I would do it to your face. Just probably behind your back when you walk away.

All kidding aside, any time I have ever been questioned and my response has been "this looks good to me," no one has ever followed up with more questions.

Maybe it's just my family. :drinker:
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    no one eats 100% meat all the time (except for that weird guy who eats only raw meats and his whole mouth is blood stained)

There are not many people who eat 100% meat all the time. There are some though. Also, I'm pretty sure that guy's mouth is not "stained" by the blood. That shot was almost certainly taken intentionally to be sensational. It's like saying a vegan's mouth is strained green because you take a picture of them right after they chew up a huge batch of spinach and have a bunch all over the inside of their mouth.

I agree- but you knew exactly who I was talking about didn't you ;)

I know certain cultures eat a VERY high percentage of meat- (thinking Alaska here)
    nope... I'm trying to research and even their diet is not that high in meat
    Traditional Inuit diets derive approximately 50% of their calories from fat, 30-35% from protein and 15-20% of their calories from carbohydrates, largely in the form of glycogen from the raw meat they consumed.[22]

so even then- for a culture that eats mostly meats and fats- it's more fat than meat- still not that high on the meats.

Sorry but this is silly. Where do you think the "fat" comes from for inuit? Organic grapeseed oil? Cold-pressed almonds? Or blubber from a large marine mammal? Maybe not "meat" in culinary terms, but certainly an animal product. Do you consider bacon "meat"? duck skin? They are both much higher in fat than protein.

One of the best adaptations we've achieved is the ability to thrive in high carb, low carb, high animal product, low animal product diets. See Inuit or Masai Vs. Vegan Buddhists. Yes, they do have their challenges, but it's not like we're effing pandas that can only eat one thing.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    no one eats 100% meat all the time (except for that weird guy who eats only raw meats and his whole mouth is blood stained)

There are not many people who eat 100% meat all the time. There are some though. Also, I'm pretty sure that guy's mouth is not "stained" by the blood. That shot was almost certainly taken intentionally to be sensational. It's like saying a vegan's mouth is strained green because you take a picture of them right after they chew up a huge batch of spinach and have a bunch all over the inside of their mouth.

I know certain cultures eat a VERY high percentage of meat- (thinking Alaska here)
    nope... I'm trying to research and even their diet is not that high in meat
    Traditional Inuit diets derive approximately 50% of their calories from fat, 30-35% from protein and 15-20% of their calories from carbohydrates, largely in the form of glycogen from the raw meat they consumed.[22]

so even then- for a culture that eats mostly meats and fats- it's more fat than meat- still not that high on the meats.

Sorry but this is silly. Where do you think the "fat" comes from for inuit? Organic grapeseed oil? Cold-pressed almonds? Or blubber from a large marine mammal? Maybe not "meat" in culinary terms, but certainly an animal product. Do you consider bacon "meat"? duck skin? They are both much higher in fat than protein.

One of the best adaptations we've achieved is the ability to thrive in high carb, low carb, high animal product, low animal product diets. See Inuit or Masai Vs. Vegan Buddhists. Yes, they do have their challenges, but it's not like we're effing pandas that can only eat one thing.

I'm sorry I don't believe anyone was implying that it wasn't... I was merely pointing out it wasn't as high in protein as I thought it was- because when I think all meat diet I tend to think of higher protein.

They eat all the blubber off the animals- where as most of us don't- which also ramps up the fat content- I wasn't implying the fat comes from some where else- you're right ridiculous and I'm not sure where you got the impression that's what I was saying.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's just silly to give normal eating preferences it's own label- I don't order meat every time I go out (I do most of the time- but not EVER time) and I never have a name for whatever the hell i"m eating.

it just sounds pretensions and way harder than it needs to be.

I think I'm more concerned about how/why people are having to answer this question to often that it's an issue- I have heard more questions HERE about what I eat- and others eat- than I do in real life when people are watching me eat- it's just unfathomable to me how this is SUCH an issue we need extra names. Flexitarian is a goofy name for someone who eats what they want.

why won't the world just stop. trying.so hard.

This....
    If you eat meat sometimes that just makes you a normal omnivore... Why does there need to be a special snowflake label for this?
    Let's not be so pretentious about being a "normal" eater and choosing between meat and vegetable sources as the mood strikes.
    Seriously if someone tells me they are a flexitarian, they are going to get my very best "are you kidding me with this baloney?" face (not that I would question what someone is eating in the first place)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    However, the concern here is that other people tend to need labels and categories to make sense of me. Right or wrong, that's the reality in my experience.

The reality (IMO anyways) is that you feel the need to provide people with labels that they can apply to you.

If someone asks whether or not you are a vegetarian you can simply say "no".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For about 6 months, I've been eating primarily vegetarian, but haven't entirely given up meat, and don't intend to. I eat meat maybe 2-3 meals a week or so, usually on the weekends, usually at restaurants or take-out. I don't cook with meat at home. I hear folks like me are called 'flexitarians'. I'm not super concerned about labels, but I find that my eating preferences are confusing to other people. Let me explain.

When I order a veggie option, almost always someone immediately asks me if I'm vegetarian, to which I can't really respond yes because I often order meat-containing dishes at restaurants. Plus, vegetarians work really hard and I don't want to be inauthentic in calling myself a vegetarian. I don't want to say 'no' either, especially if the meal we are sharing is a catered event (which often happens at work) and I've requested a special vegetarian option. So I usually go into detail about how I eat vegetarian most of the time, but eat meat sometimes, they usually have a lot of questions, and I end up getting annoyed, and then some people can get rude or are just dumbfounded. People seem to be comfortable with people fitting into the categories of vegetarians or meat-eaters, but have trouble with the ambiguity of someone who orders vegetarian meals but who is not technically a vegetarian. It's like they don't know what to do with me..

Clearly, the solution is that people should be able to eat whatever they want and not have to defend it, but that's not the reality. So my question for other flexitarians out there.. how do you identify yourself to others? How do you answer that question "are you a vegetarian?"

How about, "No, but this sounded yummy."
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    "No. Not a vegetarian. Just not a big fan of meat."

I've used that response many times, and the resulting conversation usually goes like this:

"How can you not like meat? It's sooo good!"
    "Umm, well, not to me it isn't"
    "What's not to like about a big juicy steak, it's yummy!"
    "Just not my thing, but glad you enjoy it"
    "That's really weird, I don't get it". (pause) "Will it bother you if I order a steak and I'm eating it in front of you?"
    "No, not at all. It doesn't matter to me what you choose to eat" (Hint: and it shouldn't matter to you what I choose to eat!!)

I can't tell you how many times that exact scenario has played out, pretty much every time I eat in a group setting.

So you have a conversation with someone who is concerned about offending you. Sounds really awful.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    [...]that weird guy who eats only raw meats and his whole mouth is blood stained[...]

[...] Also, I'm pretty sure that guy's mouth is not "stained" by the blood. That shot was almost certainly taken intentionally to be sensational. It's like saying a vegan's mouth is strained green because you take a picture of them right after they chew up a huge batch of spinach and have a bunch all over the inside of their mouth.

Yep, I knew exactly who you were referencing. That guy's diet is about as extreme as they come. Plus, some of the meat he eats is intentionally spoiled. Definitely not your standard diet by any accounts. LOL
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    So you have a conversation with someone who is concerned about offending you. Sounds really awful.

Call me Captain Obvious here, but the annoying (hardly "awful" :wink: ) part is the implication that one's personal choice is an aberration, and having to defend it.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    [...]that weird guy who eats only raw meats and his whole mouth is blood stained[...]

[...] Also, I'm pretty sure that guy's mouth is not "stained" by the blood. That shot was almost certainly taken intentionally to be sensational. It's like saying a vegan's mouth is strained green because you take a picture of them right after they chew up a huge batch of spinach and have a bunch all over the inside of their mouth.

Yep, I knew exactly who you were referencing. That guy's diet is about as extreme as they come. Plus, some of the meat he eats is intentionally spoiled. Definitely not your standard diet by any accounts. LOL

so weird- didn't he say he was trying to convert his girlfriend? Or wait- she was like a vegetarian- it was a really weird relationship they had going on. That whole thing was weird.

Yeah- the Eskimo's do something like that that too- they wrap food up and store it for several months (if memory serves me correctly) a while- some sort of fermented delicacy. so weird. I like my sushi obviously raw- and I know you can consume beef raw- but I tend to not want to- I'll eat a rare steak- but if it's still purple rare- I will send it back for a few more seconds on the barbie- no sense eating something when literally 30 second will solve the problem.