Just for Today

Options
I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 20 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, i find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Replies

• NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That's the way to do it! And when it gets very hard I tell myself (food or whatever reason) that I just have to get through this half of the day. Or even this hour. When it's real hard, it's just about right now.

It's nice to have a plan and say that's how it will be. That's not how it works in my reality! Think about the future, but live in the moment.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Just for today, I walked by the bakery without grabbing one of the free cookie samples for my son and I.:wink:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I love this. It reminds me of my Grandmother. When she quit smoking (at age 65) she told herself everyday, "if I don't smoke today, I can smoke all I want tomorrow". She never smoked again and she is 94. Love that woman!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It's so awesome to read this, you have the idea down perfectly! You will succeed, and your life will be amazing for it! Your son will certainly pick up on your good habits and develop healthy habits of his own. How fantastic!! :bigsmile:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Love This!!!!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • Lakeside54321
    Options
    That is good stuff! Thanks for the encouragement
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I am going to park further away and use the stairs.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I am going tohide out in my bedroom because I have the munchies and I shouldn't be in the kitchen:laugh:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I am going to listen to my body. I will eat because I'm hungry, not because I'm bored or just having munchies.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will not beat myself up for the mistakes of yesterday. Nor will I repeat them.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will think before I eat.
  • cyndigirl
    Options
    This is so true. I actually had a discussion with a friend who joined MFP with me and we are attacking the health issues a little differently, but with the same goal of changing our lives, and not contuinuing the roller coaster. We talked about weighing ourselves, and I explained my justification for weighing daily (even though most would advise against it) is that "one cookie away" theory. I can see the results of the one cookie within a day or two on my scale in the morning, and then I am less likely to have two cookies and undo all the good I have done...because we all know how easy that is. I like your idea of changing the "I'll start tomorrow" mantra from being about getting healthy to treating yourself. I can see how thinking tomorrow I might let myself have a treat, but today I need to make good choices may help with feeling like F.O.R.E.V.E.R. was sitting on my shoulders! ;) Thanks for the reminder of how important each day is!
  • nicolelabadie
    Options
    Thank you for your words, "Just for Today". I logged in today, after being away for a few months. Asthama, diabetes, and food intake are daily frustrations. Today I woke up with the mind-set that "today" I would turn a corner. I entered my current weight, reviewed my goals and sat down to a healthy breakfast. Then, I read your message. It spoke to me. Thank you so much!!
    nicolelabadie
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will turn to my water bottle, not to the food cart to get me through the day.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will remember that food has calories and sugar, even if I'm just grabbing a handful of cereal everytime I pass through the kitchen. PS I don't normally like cereal, but my hubby brought home chocolate frosted flakes (Thanks a lot) and they are good.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will believe in myself. I can do this and I WILL!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will not give up in despair!:noway:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: When I feel like I'm going to scream or run away from home, instead of turning to to a "sugar band-aid" to sooth my soul, I will turn on my ipod and listen to a favorite song.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will put blinders on and not compare myself to anyone else (not even myself at a different time period).