Carbs and Pain...is there a connection?

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Some people have allergies or bad reactions to certain types of carbs. Wheat is a big allergen these days it seems. My cat is allergic to corn.... and some people are, too. Some of the carby foods you eat may not be compatible with your body (for lack of a better way to explain it).

I have a natural recipe I use to reduce pain and inflammation. It has to do with curcumin, which is present in turmeric. So I use a cup of milk, 1/4 tsp of organic turmeric, 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, and 1 tsp of honey, and a liberal sprinkling of black pepper. Cook together until steaming, and drink. Pain levels should reduce in about half an hour.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Some people have allergies or bad reactions to certain types of carbs. Wheat is a big allergen these days it seems. My cat is allergic to corn.... and some people are, too. Some of the carby foods you eat may not be compatible with your body (for lack of a better way to explain it).

I have a natural recipe I use to reduce pain and inflammation. It has to do with curcumin, which is present in turmeric. So I use a cup of milk, 1/4 tsp of organic turmeric, 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, and 1 tsp of honey, and a liberal sprinkling of black pepper. Cook together until steaming, and drink. Pain levels should reduce in about half an hour.

In regards to the bolded, yes, absolutely. That is a far cry though from saying carbs are bad for you...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @GaleHawkins and several others in the low carb group would say their lives have improved tremendously due to the reduction in pain and inflammation that they found with low carb eating.

Gale also has autoimmune diseases so I don't know if that applies to the general population.

Thankfully getting off sugar and carbs resolved my active autoimmune diseases. I am quite certain had I done this 40 year earlier I would have had a normal healthy life.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034518/

I now understand epigentics trumps genetics in many.

Many people will refuse to modify their eating just like I did for 40 years. Knowing that my kids have same genetic factor for Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) as I do always concerned me.

It was when the Rheumatologist‎s wanted me to start on Enbrel injections and in my case I saw a real risk of dying from cancer as a side effect did I get my butt moving and brain engaged.

30 days after cold turkey going off sugar and all forms of all grains first of Oct 2014 on a hunch that it might manage my joint and muscle pain my 40 years of subjective pain levels of 7-8 dropped to levels of 2-3. Two years later I am still managing my pain by my way of eating.

6 months later my IBD was totally resolved and has not flared even one day in the past 18 months after being active for 40 years. Long term skin issues resolved. Brain fog lifted. Lost 50 pounds without trying as a side effect. Maintained at 200 pounds eating 2500 calories daily for last 18 months. Ditched my power chair. I can walk well and get in and out of vehicles unaided now. Bleeding gums and dental issues resolved plus no new cavities. Looking forward to life vs being house bound. Company is returning to profitability. I treat my wife and kids better. Actually I could go on and one.

While I can not tell another what is triggering their health crisis I can tell you what stopped my health crisis and is REVERSING it. I just left off sugar and all forums of all grains. Before and after labs proves my case.

My action two years ago without my then understanding meant I had gone to a WOE (Way Of Eating) that was LCHF (Low Carb High Fat).

Pre LCHF (two years ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

9 months of LCHF (one year ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

17 months of LCHF (Aug 2016) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

The new doctor said keep doing what I am doing because it is working and that now Total Cholesterol has to be at >290 before they consider statins, etc. She was not hype pro LCHF but she said the numbers proved it was working for me. I think my numbers helped her better understand the first year of LCHF sending Cholesterol through the roof is NORMAL for some. I refused statins last year because I knew it was normal to shot up because the body takes a while to stop producing high cholesterol that is produced to protect against high inflammation.

IBD now? I thought it was IBS? Big huge difference. And btw the chance of getting cancer from biologics is very low. Just pointing that out since some people have to take them. No matter what I eat I can't have a semi normal life without Remicade. Sure it raises my cancer risk a little but I'd love to live long enough to get that cancer plus it cuts down the inflammation in my intestines a lot and the more inflammation in the intestines the higher the colorectal cancer risk, much higher than the risk from biologics.

@singingflutelady I am glad you have found a way to manage your health concerns that works for you because that is what counts in the end.

I did not want to do Enbrel and my pharmacist strongly advised against me starting Enbrel injections in my case. Basically it would have been foolish in my case when all I had to do was basically stop eating sugar and all grains to start fixing my autoimmune related health issues.

With AS sometimes IBD does tag along but the doctors where never clear because they never figured out anything for sure. I think mega dosages of fish oil for the past 20 years protected my colon perhaps and I know it took a bite out of the joint pain.

https://hindawi.com/journals/jir/2013/872632/
    The Link between Ankylosing Spondylitis, Crohn’s Disease, Klebsiella, and Starch Consumption

Abstract

"Both ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and Crohn’s disease (CD) are chronic and potentially disabling interrelated conditions, which have been included under the group of spondyloarthropathies. The results of a large number of studies support the idea that an enteropathic pathogen, Klebsiella pneumoniae, is the most likely triggering factor involved in the initiation and development of these diseases. Increased starch consumptions by genetically susceptible individuals such as those possessing HLA-B27 allelotypes could trigger the disease in both AS and CD by enhancing the growth and perpetuation of the Klebsiella microbes in the bowel. Exposure to increased levels of these microbes will lead to the production of elevated levels of anti-Klebsiella antibodies as well as autoantibodies against cross-reactive self-antigens with resultant pathological lesions in the bowel and joints. Hence, a decrease of starch-containing products in the daily dietary intake could have a beneficial therapeutic effect on the disease especially when used in conjunction with the currently available medical therapies in the treatment of patients with AS and CD."

In my case I expect Klebsiella pneumoniae was the triggering factor. The fact when I cut out sugar and all grains and started taking a lot of coconut oil two years ago and my pain resolving after 30 days clearly my old way of eating was a triggering factor since I was 63 that the time. As the article indicates cutting starch containing foods could have a beneficial therapeutic effect on both AS and Crohn's disease.

What was the results of you going off all sugar and grains for 90 days? My pain dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 levels in only 30 days but it took 6 months for the IBS/IBD to fully resolve. Recovering muscle mass took longer to start.

It was the allelotypes in the kids that drove me to find a diet that could be preventive or help recover from AS and CD. After my diet fixed me my stressing over the future health of my kids dropped a million points. Crohn's is in my family.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I just said that because every other post you said IBS and now you are claiming to have IBD and was just pointing out there is a big difference between IBD and IBS. Did they ever do colonoscopy and endoscopy? It should be quite evident in those. I know there is a link between AS and CD but usually the person is diagnosed with both. Any doctor that doesn't check is irresponsible.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @GaleHawkins and several others in the low carb group would say their lives have improved tremendously due to the reduction in pain and inflammation that they found with low carb eating.

Gale also has autoimmune diseases so I don't know if that applies to the general population.

Thankfully getting off sugar and carbs resolved my active autoimmune diseases. I am quite certain had I done this 40 year earlier I would have had a normal healthy life.

Many people will refuse to modify their eating just like I did for 40 years. Knowing that my kids have same genetic factor for Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) as I do always concerned me.

It was when the Rheumatologist‎s wanted me to start on Enbrel injections and in my case I saw a real risk of dying from cancer as a side effect did I get my butt moving and brain engaged.

30 days after cold turkey going off sugar and all forms of all grains first of Oct 2014 on a hunch that it might manage my joint and muscle pain my 40 years of subjective pain levels of 7-8 dropped to levels of 2-3. Two years later I am still managing my pain by my way of eating.

6 months later my IBD was totally resolved and has not flared even one day in the past 18 months after being active for 40 years. Long term skin issues resolved. Brain fog lifted. Lost 50 pounds without trying as a side effect. Maintained at 200 pounds eating 2500 calories daily for last 18 months. Ditched my power chair. I can walk well and get in and out of vehicles unaided now. Bleeding gums and dental issues resolved plus no new cavities. Looking forward to life vs being house bound. Company is returning to profitability. I treat my wife and kids better. Actually I could go on and one.

While I can not tell another what is triggering their health crisis I can tell you what stopped my health crisis and is REVERSING it. I just left off sugar and all forums of all grains. Before and after labs proves my case.

My action two years ago without my then understanding meant I had gone to a WOE (Way Of Eating) that was LCHF (Low Carb High Fat).

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

The new doctor said keep doing what I am doing because it is working and that now Total Cholesterol has to be at >290 before they consider statins, etc. She was not hype pro LCHF but she said the numbers proved it was working for me. I think my numbers helped her better understand the first year of LCHF sending Cholesterol through the roof is NORMAL for some. I refused statins last year because I knew it was normal to shot up because the body takes a while to stop producing high cholesterol that is produced to protect against high inflammation.

IBD now? I thought it was IBS? Big huge difference. And btw the chance of getting cancer from biologics is very low. Just pointing that out since some people have to take them. No matter what I eat I can't have a semi normal life without Remicade. Sure it raises my cancer risk a little but I'd love to live long enough to get that cancer plus it cuts down the inflammation in my intestines a lot and the more inflammation in the intestines the higher the colorectal cancer risk, much higher than the risk from biologics.

@singingflutelady I am glad you have found a way to manage your health concerns that works for you because that is what counts in the end.

I did not want to do Enbrel and my pharmacist strongly advised against me starting Enbrel injections in my case. Basically it would have been foolish in my case when all I had to do was basically stop eating sugar and all grains to start fixing my autoimmune related health issues.

With AS sometimes IBD does tag along but the doctors where never clear because they never figured out anything for sure. I think mega dosages of fish oil for the past 20 years protected my colon perhaps and I know it took a bite out of the joint pain.

The Link between Ankylosing Spondylitis, Crohn’s Disease, Klebsiella, and Starch Consumption

Abstract

"Both ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and Crohn’s disease (CD) are chronic and potentially disabling interrelated conditions, which have been included under the group of spondyloarthropathies. The results of a large number of studies support the idea that an enteropathic pathogen, Klebsiella pneumoniae, is the most likely triggering factor involved in the initiation and development of these diseases. Increased starch consumptions by genetically susceptible individuals such as those possessing HLA-B27 allelotypes could trigger the disease in both AS and CD by enhancing the growth and perpetuation of the Klebsiella microbes in the bowel. Exposure to increased levels of these microbes will lead to the production of elevated levels of anti-Klebsiella antibodies as well as autoantibodies against cross-reactive self-antigens with resultant pathological lesions in the bowel and joints. Hence, a decrease of starch-containing products in the daily dietary intake could have a beneficial therapeutic effect on the disease especially when used in conjunction with the currently available medical therapies in the treatment of patients with AS and CD."

In my case I expect Klebsiella pneumoniae was the triggering factor. The fact when I cut out sugar and all grains and started taking a lot of coconut oil two years ago and my pain resolving after 30 days clearly my old way of eating was a triggering factor since I was 63 that the time. As the article indicates cutting starch containing foods could have a beneficial therapeutic effect on both AS and Crohn's disease.

What was the results of you going off all sugar and grains for 90 days? My pain dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 levels in only 30 days but it took 6 months for the IBS/IBD to fully resolve. Recovering muscle mass took longer to start.

It was the allelotypes in the kids that drove me to find a diet that could be preventive or help recover from AS and CD. After my diet fixed me my stressing over the future health of my kids dropped a million points. Crohn's is in my family.

Your pharmacist told you to stop the sugar and you would not need Enbrel? Cool!! I will be asking my doctor if I can do the same thing!
  • GaleHawkins
    edited September 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

Abstract

Your pharmacist told you to stop the sugar and you would not need Enbrel? Cool!! I will be asking my doctor if I can do the same thing!

Well you know that is not what I said I do not understand why you would ask your doctor what you can eat and cannot eat as an adult.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins

You repeat your eliminating personal triggers story from thread to thread, constantly talking about the dangers of appropriate medication and I consistently find a large amount of your advice passively dangerous for the vast majority

You lost weight and improved your overall diet ...this is an accepted way to address many ailments..the weight loss is key

For you personally you clearly have food triggers ..I'm pleased you have relief as a result ..although am often surprised as you claiming a 1/4 mile walk a day as exercise rather than activity

But others, who have never been overweight, have exactly the same condition as you do, the majority have not found relief in dietary adjustments ..if they had the major AS research bodies would be promoting your woe wildly and they do not.

Fat people need to drop weight to help their symptoms in many conditions by
    Some of those with auto immune disease can benefit by identifying and eliminating personal food triggers
    All will benefit from being as active as possible
    There are a wide raft of medications out there, each has side effects but you weigh up the cost benefit with medical advice on a personal basis

I know your are evangelical about your personal story, I get it, for you its miraculous turn around going from fat, bad diet slim, good diet and experiencing the benefits ..you are fairly unusual there is a very small subset with your condition that experience such benefit from trigger elimination

after years of watching these threads and seeing people counteract your "science" with significant studies and theories from reputable sources I just wish you would temper your insidious claims on appropriate medication...I find it concerning and actually quite offensive

appropriate medication, after years of attempted dietary intervention, is something that in my family we have found a miraculous salve to the ongoing pressure of a debilitating condition

Appropriate medications are vital for the majority to prevent long term harm because the constant flaring is what causes long term damage

Appropriate medication should absolutely be a personal discussion with a real life medical team who knows your case, monitoring results, test results and previous responses

All medication have side effects which must be weighed up against the alternative

enough

@Sued0nim I agree with your statement about "Fat people" even though it is not a positive term.

Not sure why you assumed my weight was involved in my pain rather than the other way around. Close to 100% of obese people had another health related issue first that triggered the obesity.

50 years ago I can remember being up in tobacco barns housing tobacco this time of the year weighing 160 pounds with tears streaming down my face due to the pain in my arthritis pain in my feet.

I had both hips replaced 1 August 1991 and when I got home 5 weeks later I weighed 172 but still have the joint and muscle pain.

In prior posts here I have repeatedly but not often enough perhaps 30 days after I stopped eating sugar and all forms of all grains that my subjective pain levels of 7-8 dropped to 2-3. Oftentimes I have stated it was 45 days before I lost the first pound of weight but was loosing inches before the weight loss started.

In the process of earning my OD degree from Southern College of Optometry in 1986 successfully completing many hours of Pharmacology was a requirement. I do agree with you that all drugs have side effects.

You know my name, what I look like and my LinkedIn resume. Since I use my real name you know you don't have to read my posts.

You also know that I have not told others what food to eat or not eat nor what medication to take or not to take.

I am an old guy that has and will continue to suffer because other doctors didn't know about eating wrong. In fact an MD told me I needed something like the Enbrel injections to manage my pain. I did plan to start Enbrel injections even over the objections of my pharmacist had getting off of sugar and all the grains not managed my joint pain well. Thanks.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nevermind
  • J72FIT
    Options

Not sure why you assumed my weight was involved in my pain rather than the other way around. Close to 100% of obese people had another health related issue first that triggered the obesity.
    No, close to a 100% of obese people triggered their obesity by simply eating too much.

While I agree it boils down to energy in energy out I want to say this, there are people who seem to be predisposed to becoming obese. Why? I do not know. No one does, but it is real.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

No, close to a 100% of obese people triggered their obesity by simply eating too much.

While I agree it boils down to energy in energy out I want to say this, there are people who seem to be predisposed to becoming obese. Why? I do not know. No one does, but it is real.

I agree. Yes, there are always outliers.

But for the vast amount of people who ended up being obese (and I was one of them) the reason was simply because we ate too damn much. I took responsibility for that, made the necessary changes and lost the weight.

The danger in an unsupported claim such as Gale's going unchallenged is that the average person reading that can all too easily walk away with the belief that their obesity is not a direct result of their own actions, is not within their control to change, and will resign themselves to being obese because, "It's not my fault."

And that is not only misinformed, it's dangerous. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Just because you might be predisposed to obesitiy through genetics does not mean you don't have power to control your weight. I was put on a diet when i was an infant. I apprently showed up fat, stayed fat through my adulthoood, then decided to chuck that "you are big boned," "your aunts are also big," and "youre not that fat," crap and decided to do something about it. I may have the predisposition to be fat but i refuse to be fat now. It's my choice.

Weight loss got rid of the majority aches and pains, but now I am under the care of my GI and a Registered Dietician to help wtih other health issues, specifically GERD, Gatritis and IBS.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No one cares about my carb pain but I ate all the donuts, candy, bread, and sugar yesterday and the pain is only at a 4/10 today. I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

If anyone gets the pain I'm talking about, shoot me a private message or a friend request. Not joint or muscle pain...that bruised feeling of the skin.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    No one cares about my carb pain but I ate all the donuts, candy, bread, and sugar yesterday and the pain is only at a 4/10 today. I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

If anyone gets the pain I'm talking about, shoot me a private message or a friend request. Not joint or muscle pain...that bruised feeling of the skin.

I get that sometimes, but have never linked it to foods....I should take note. For me it's usually *nearish* a joint, but is definitely a skin pain.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I get that sometimes, but have never linked it to foods....I should take note. For me it's usually *nearish* a joint, but is definitely a skin pain.

Oh okay. Yeah it's all over for me. It's the worst around flanks but I feel it in my thighs, stomach arms, back, neck, and...face. Carbs make my face hurt lol. Eh.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Just because you might be predisposed to obesitiy through genetics does not mean you don't have power to control your weight. I was put on a diet when i was an infant. I apprently showed up fat, stayed fat through my adulthoood, then decided to chuck that "you are big boned," "your aunts are also big," and "youre not that fat," crap and decided to do something about it. I may have the predisposition to be fat but i refuse to be fat now. It's my choice.

Weight loss got rid of the majority aches and pains, but now I am under the care of my GI and a Registered Dietician to help wtih other health issues, specifically GERD, Gatritis and IBS.

Absolutely agree. Just pointing out for some it's harder then for others. Life is unfair like that. But again, agree with you 100%..
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Weight is always a factor in pain when we are talking about joint issues

And

I know you have advised people not to take prescribed medication as well as putting out your generic warnings against specifically biologicals

I also know you have done so by PM

That is the part I object to the most

Why do you post false statements like the above?

What medication and food strangers consume is their own business.

I had had s hunch for a while that cutting out sugar and all grains might fix my pain. I said when the MD wanted me to start Enbrel injections and I researched the possible side effects I motivated to act on my hunch.

I tried to taper off but failed so I went off cold turkey first of October 2014. The first two weeks were hellish but 30 days in when I went back to the doctor the pain was dropping like a rock. The doctor was taken back when I passed on the Enbrel injections in favor of the diet option for pain management.

I do not know why cutting the sugar and grains is reversing my autoimmune diseases nor if it would work for anyone else or not.

I know that it doesn't cost $30,000.00 a year as does Enbrel to test eliminating optional foods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Oh okay. Yeah it's all over for me. It's the worst around flanks but I feel it in my thighs, stomach arms, back, neck, and...face. Carbs make my face hurt lol. Eh.

Your face? Wow. For me its arms, legs etc. Backs of my upper arms and backs of calves worst.