The Zumba Crew - January

Options

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba as well!!! I started taking a class last April at my daughter's dance studio. I was hooked!!! I now take it in 2 other places as well!! I bought the Zumba dvds from a friend that didn't use them and am hoping to get the Wii Zumba soon. I can't dance but through Zumba I am learning to shake things up at least!!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i love zumba! just came back from class tonite and it was a huge dance party. :D what are your favorite zumba songs (or salsa songs)? my teacher got me into the the song "lo eres todo" by guaco. great band! i'm trying to build up my itunes library so i can just zumba at home and make up some moves when i can't go to class for some reason. would love to know what your fave songs are!
  • jjcollins83
    Options
    hi im jessica and im a Zumbaholic also!!!! been doing to for 4 days and lost 2 lbs!!!!
  • Buterphly
    Buterphly Posts: 112
    Options
    hello I was planning on buying the wii zumba, and was wonderung if it estimates the calories burned like wii fit does? Maybie?
  • jstlikeme
    Options
    HI...is the hype as good as it says? If so have any of the Zumba chatters tried the beachbody products like Turbo Jam etc.., what were your results. Thanks

Ty
  • jjcollins83
    Options
    HI...is the hype as good as it says? If so have any of the Zumba chatters tried the beachbody products like Turbo Jam etc.., what were your results. Thanks

Ty

Yes it is!!!! Been doing it only 4 days and have lost 2in and 2 lbs.
  • gcems304
    Options
    I'm having trouble adding Zumba to my exercise diary. What should I use? Dancing or Aerobics, general or something else?

Thanks
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So glad to see so much interest.

I forgot to introduce myself! I am Emily, I am first a mom to twins who will be 1 on Friday! Secondly I am a Zumba instructor and yes, it is definitely worth the hype.

For those of you who were asking and don't know, Zumba is a latin dance based aerobics class that is so much fun. It challenges your body and your mind, and the more you do it, the more fun you have because you begin to learn the moves and can just enjoy dancing for an hour.

As for calories burned - I definitely suggest getting a heart rate monitor if you truly want to know what you are burning. There are many levels of zumba and the intensity in which you dance really affects the calories burned. For example, on a day that I am not feeling well and I do all of the moves low key, I will burn 450 calories, but if I am feeling energized and do all of the moves over the top, I will burn as many as 1200 in an hour! SO the point is, it varies widely.

I just got back from my class tonight and it was great. I am glad to see so many people using the video games, but I definitely suggest getting into a class to check it out. It is SO much fun, and it usually causes great friendships to form!
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    I love Zumba. I was taking a class here in town and the courses are $5 during the week and half price on Friday!!!! It's so affordable because it's in conjunction with the local schoold district. It had to be helping because I lost 15 lbs within about a month, stopped taking lessons because of a back problem and gained 10 lbs back!! Recently got Zumba for wii haven't tried it yet but I hope I love it! For whomever loves guaco song, it's not one our instructor uses but it's a great song!
  • babygirl16878
    Options
    Zumba rocks! I got Zumba for my Wii right before Christmas and its absolutely amazing. I have always had a hard time sticking to the same workout after a few times because it would bore me to death but not Zumba. It is so fun I don't feel like I'm working out. I just dancing! I am actually considering buying the Zumba DVDs too! Rock on Zumba!
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a Zumba class before, but I'm starting a Zumba class tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it, everyone I know who has tried it, loves it! Can't wait!
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    I have gone to one Zumba class and have had several workouts on the Wii with Zumba and am looking forward to some upcoming classes in the next few weeks. I love it and it is so much fun and a great workout!
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    The word "Zumba" got me interested has I hadn't a clue what it meant. So I looked it up on YouTube. WOW!! This looks great. But I have two left feet!! Can't dance for the life of me. Might just check to see if there are any classes near me tho'
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!!!!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    The word "Zumba" got me interested has I hadn't a clue what it meant. So I looked it up on YouTube. WOW!! This looks great. But I have two left feet!! Can't dance for the life of me. Might just check to see if there are any classes near me tho'

me neither and I am hugely out of shape but I bought the dvds for home and will use those until I can keep up with them then try a class (for the life of me I CANNOT calypso on my left leg- weird, I know)
  • 7QueenJ
    Options
    I'm actually about to start as soon as I get off from here!!
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    For those of you looking for a Zumba class near you. You can use this web link to find a class/instructior near your location. http://www.zumba.com/us/

I doesn't matter what you look like when you do it as long as you move, and enjoy yourself.
  • tigra78
    Options
    My husband bought me the zumba for kinect for Christmas that I wanted. I haven't tried it yet but today that is about to change -- I'm a 33 year old, happily married, stay at home mom to 3 children who (along with my husband) has really left herself go the past year. I've done so well the past 15 years to maintain my high school weight (aside from pregnancies) up until the past year. My main problem is I've stopped exercising ... I haven't really been eating more than usual. Along with missing my sexy body (lol) I miss having the energy I use to have. So today I re-start my exercise routine and get back to my healthy high school weight!
  • danaaaaa
    Options
    i have the Zumba DVDs and i love them ! :D it's so challenging at first but after a couple of days you'll get the hang of it. it's amazing. =)
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I wanted to make a little note about those of you who feel that Zumba wouldn't work for you because you have 'two left feet' or no coordination. Guess what?! It doesn't matter! What is really important is that you keep your body moving and your heart rate up! No one is there to judge you or to tell you that you did it wrong, and really to be honest, everyone else is so busy looking at their own self or feet that no one is even watching you.

The more classes you attend the more comfortable you get with the moves, and until you get the hang of how the moves work you can just march in place or do jumping jacks or whatever to keep your heart rate up. If you feel uncomfortable going to a class, try to get your hands on the dvds, use youtube or one of the games so that you can get an idea of what the moves are like.

Try it, you'll like it!