The Zumba Crew - January

Options

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    i taught Aqua Zumba about a year ago- it's a tough workout- you will love it! have fun!

I bet I will....guess I'm gonna have to add aqua shoes to my dance shoes :laugh:
  • punkinbeanie
    Options
    I Love Zumba!!!
  • erinjoy002
    erinjoy002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i taught Aqua Zumba about a year ago- it's a tough workout- you will love it! have fun!

oooh this sounds fun!
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    just started Zumba today. i am very uncoordinated... so im a little discouraged but im gonna try and stick with it
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    just started Zumba today. i am very uncoordinated... so im a little discouraged but im gonna try and stick with it

Trust me, everyone feels this way in the first class, especially if you have an instructor who goes pretty fast. But I've found that it helps not to worry about the moves so much at first, just to keep moving to the beat, that alone will keep your heart pounding. After a few classes, things will start to fall into place. What I love is that the hour goes by so fast, you can hardly believe you've been working out that long when it's over!
  • dap9697
    Options
    It is so great to find an excercise that makes you want to do more! There is a gym opening up right around the corner from work that will be offering classes. I have the DVD's but I think I might get the Wii game too while I'm waiting.

I also try to inspire my friends to give it a go. I show them videos on my smartphone so they can see what fun it is. :smile:
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Just booked in for Zumba classes.So excited. My husband wants to get me the Wii and Zumba game. Going to give the classes a go first :0)
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

Trust me, everyone feels this way in the first class, especially if you have an instructor who goes pretty fast. But I've found that it helps not to worry about the moves so much at first, just to keep moving to the beat, that alone will keep your heart pounding. After a few classes, things will start to fall into place. What I love is that the hour goes by so fast, you can hardly believe you've been working out that long when it's over!

Listen to her, she has wise words! Just move your body and you will lose pounds. The steps come in time and practice!
  • colleen_mairead
    colleen_mairead Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just finished 40 minutes of Cardio Dance Party, I think thats what its called. I did it with one sister and as soon as we finished, the next youngest decided to do it herself. Its definitely a hit around my house.

Once I get the basic steps down, there are SO many Zumba locations in Mass, cant wait!
  • hooah_mj
    Options
    After a poor 15 minutes on the Elliptical, I decided to do a Yoga session....awesome as it was, it was just what I needed when I got home to fire up my Zumba Wii:tongue: tremendous workout...

Just as I finished up one 20 "expert" session, my daughter got home from classes and we pulled a 45-minute Zumba dance-a-thon :love: what a blast...I had sweat pouring & heart rate pumping :laugh:
    Felt so good that I scrubbed down the bathroom, ran the vacuum, changed the linens and did a load of laundry before the hubs walked thru the door!

This has been such a great day all around!
  • chiccaroline
    chiccaroline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    isn't it amazing how different instructors can be!? I have had some that were more fitness-y and some that were more dance-y. Both are great, I try to balance both in my class.

I am curious about what you like or don't like about your specific instructors. What makes the perfect class for you? I try to give plenty of cues, but some instructors don't give many at all. Do you all have favorite songs to dance to? I love Waka Waka!

Does your teacher face the class, or in the same direction as the class? beto faces his classes, but I prefer to face the mirror. What about you guys?

Hi from a Zumba lover in London. I go to Zumba classes three times a week at a dance school in South London and our teachers are professional latin and ballroom dancers so I guess our class is more 'dancey' which I love :happy: . There are two of them, one dances on a stage facing us, giving cues to the routine, the other dances amongst the class so that we can follow him if we need to.

We've just started dancing to Waka Waka, but we also do a cha cha to Sway which is my favourite. I'm thinking of getting the DVDs to use at home so that I can Zumba more, but I'm already doing classes three times a week and netball season starts again in four weeks time so I may not have time to do them and it might turn out to be a waste of money.
  • brittybee23
    brittybee23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Had a Zumba class this morning! I'm ready for Saturday... after a nap, maybe!! :) I haven't had my HRM for very long.... Does 721 cal. seem like an appropriate burn?? Just want to make sure! Other folks say MFP calculate calorie burn high, but since I've gotten the HRM, it's low.... Hope ya'll have a great weekend!!
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    Had my first Zumba class today and LOVED it. Yes, it wore me out and yes, I had to stop after about 40 minutes b/c I though I was going to puke...but I calmed myself down and got back in there to finish out the hour. I loved that it was definitely a no judgement zone and there were beautiful women of all shapes and sizes in my class. That definitely made it easier to finish after I was red faced and sweating like a sinner in church.

I can't wait for my class next week!
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a boat load of friends who have been doing Zumba for many months but I just never had the motivation to go. I started a local weight loss contest, and the gym membership during that time is free, including all classes, so I asked to sit in during one just to see what it was all about. Who was I kidding?!?!? SIT IN??? Heck no, even at my size, I couldn't help but join in! I absolutely love it and I wish I had gotten involved with my friends months ago! So as of right now, I have one class under my belt, and I am trying to figure out how I will continue to take classes if I don't win the contest (and free gym membership). I will also be buying the Wii game whenever I can afford that as well.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I was looking at the Zumba website and there are no local certified Zumbatomic (for kids) instructors nearby so I am going to check back after I am closer to my goal weight and if that is still true, I hope to become one. I think it would be great for kids to do, especially if their parents could go to a class at the same time!
  • dap9697
    Options
    Well, I've been on my diet plan a week now and I've been doing Zumba every day. So far I'm still not tired of it. In fact, I actually look forward to the workout. I have never said that about exercise. It was always such a chore for me. I'm so glad I found Zumba!
  • hooah_mj
    Options
    Had my first Zumba class today and LOVED it. Yes, it wore me out and yes, I had to stop after about 40 minutes b/c I though I was going to puke...but I calmed myself down and got back in there to finish out the hour. I loved that it was definitely a no judgement zone and there were beautiful women of all shapes and sizes in my class. That definitely made it easier to finish after I was red faced and sweating like a sinner in church.

I can't wait for my class next week!
    now that's a great post!
    zumba is fantastic...don't forget to hydrate before, during, & after :drinker:
    it'll help get in the necessary half your weight in ounces of water...
  • 086laura11
    Options
    im doing zumba once a week, wish it was more i really love it its great fun and your getting a great workout.....anyone thinking about doing it should definately go ahead its definately worth it
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Had a Zumba class this morning! I'm ready for Saturday... after a nap, maybe!! :) I haven't had my HRM for very long.... Does 721 cal. seem like an appropriate burn?? Just want to make sure! Other folks say MFP calculate calorie burn high, but since I've gotten the HRM, it's low.... Hope ya'll have a great weekend!!

That is close to what my HRM comes to after an hour long class. I have never hit the 800 mark but never been below 650.
  • Annerea
    Annerea Posts: 104
    Options
    Hi all

My gym started Zumba classes in January and I LOVE it!! It doesn't matter that I'm completely unco-orindated, it's such good fun!

But yesterday my hubby said a wife of a friend of his wanted to come along with me to her first class so she knew someone. My immediate reaction was - it would be sooooo much better if she DIDN'T know anyone, then you're not self-conscious/giggling too much!!