Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Yes, I think I've made it a couple times now. I truly do like it. I think this time I may add corn. I use more salsa than directed too, and a can of diced Mexican styled tomatoes. Mine is very soupy. I take some of the excess liquid and cook my rice in that. The whole meal is flavorful, and although it's more than 157 calories, it's well within reason for a dinner.

With the corn, tomatoes, mushroom and regular (not low fat or low cal) cream of mushroom soup, and a 1/2 cup of instant white rice, it comes up to a little more than 500 calories. I usually eat 500-700 calories at dinner, so this works great for me!

We are making it for dinner tomorrow night.
  • RKA625
    RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I made a little different version of this tonight (cream of chicken because I had no COM soup) and an extra 1/2 cup of salsa. *I* thought it was ok, DH and DS didn't like it (well, DS liked the chicken, but not the rice).

I think my slow cooker runs high or something, because I cooked it on low for about 7.5 hours, and the chicken was overcooked and soggy. I am glad I got too nervous and took it out early or the chicken would've been unfit to eat, and we would have had to trash it.

Anyway, I still liked it, I added some light sour cream too, and I ate my whole bowl. DH didn't finish his :frown:

My portions came to about 437 calories including the rice and sour cream (served 4 people).
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I made a little different version of this tonight (cream of chicken because I had no COM soup) and an extra 1/2 cup of salsa. *I* thought it was ok, DH and DS didn't like it (well, DS liked the chicken, but not the rice).

I think my slow cooker runs high or something, because I cooked it on low for about 7.5 hours, and the chicken was overcooked and soggy. I am glad I got too nervous and took it out early or the chicken would've been unfit to eat, and we would have had to trash it.

Anyway, I still liked it, I added some light sour cream too, and I ate my whole bowl. DH didn't finish his :frown:

My portions came to about 437 calories including the rice and sour cream (served 4 people).
    I find cooking mine for 4.5 hours is about the max I would go as by then it's perfect and shreds nicely. So if I actually wanted to have the breasts more intact I can't imagine how short of time to cook them.:laugh:

Recently read an article that crockpots of today (as in the last 4-5 years) are running much hotter than ones our parents used eons ago. The reason being is to be sure the food is cooked up more quickly and no food poisening occurs. The article made alot of sense. No matter what recipe I cook I always knock off at LEAST 2-4 hours to not burn the contents/over cook it. So if we're using a recipe that is from an older source (old recipe aka older cookbook etc.) we'd want to drop it down several hours or at the least keep an eye on it and check it then.

Just a tip I ran across....:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • RKA625
    RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks. IDK how old my crock pot is, but it's not a new one. I think it was my grandmother's, it's an older one with a brown ceramic bowl inside, vs the new white ones.

But yeah, I think next time it'll be like 5 or 6 hours instead of 8. :glasses:
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bumping to get in my topics...

Thanks!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    hahah I was just thinking of diggin this thread up...

I made this recipe again the other day with a few changes...

This time I used a salsa that had black beans and corn in it. YUM....great addition and the smell was divine from the Salsa cooking alone:drinker:

Then instead of cooking up brown rice I used whole wheat tortillas and spooned a bit of the shredded chicken into it and just folded it up...didn't add anything else to it. Perfect!

Love how this recipe is so basic, simple and yet you can do it so many different ways each time you cook a batch up!:bigsmile:

I think from now on I'll stick to using the torillas, it was just that good, simple and didn't have to wait on the rice.:laugh:

FC:heart:
  • todd4vt
    Options
    I made this last night and it was very good. Thanks.
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    finally made this last night for the family and everyone loved it..

I substituted cream of chicken for the cream of mushroom and waited and put the sour cream on the side...

my husband and kids all loved it!

Thanks!
  • njksharp
    njksharp Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    trying this tonight
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    This is one of the best and easiest recipes out there.
    I need to make a half order sometime soon.
    The full recipe makes about 2.5 meals for us, and I'm not a fan of leftovers.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    BUMP

Adding to my grocery list now :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    bump. Making it this week!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    this sounds so good, good thing i have 2 crockpots, otherwise i would have to wait to make it as the one i usually use, the lid handle broke and it is on backorder, going to make it tomorrow!!
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've got this recipe in my crockpot right now to try for the first time! It smells great!
  • indianagranny
    Options
    It does smell good - it is in my crock pot also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    NEED TO TRY THIS!:bigsmile:
  • plussizemommy
    Options
    I used this recipe before I started my weight loss, I omit the soup and use a bit of cornstarch to thicken up the sauce, then I shred the chicken and put it on sub buns, then added the sour cream. My hubby loved it!!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 157.2
    Total Fat: 3.3 g
    Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
    Sodium: 654.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 24.3 g

I was just wondering how big a serving size is, since there are only 4 chicken breasts and it says it serves 6?
  • smithiekat
    smithiekat Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i make my slow cooker salsa chicken like this:

4 boneless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 can yellow corn (you can strain the juice out)
    1 can beans (chili beans or black beans) with all the juice
    taco seasoning

dump it all in. i do it for 8 hours on low and shred the chicken before serving.
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    I made this tonight.....YUMMY! To lower the salt content, I have a spice recipe that you can use that tastes JUST LIKE the taco seasoning one. I used taco seasoning this time b/c I was in a rush, but here is the spice recipe with no salt.....

1 TBSP Chili Powder
    1 TBSP Cumin Powder
    1 TBSP Garlic Powder

I am going to make a big batch of this to have on hand, then it is handy to use!

I also used lo-fat cream of chicken soup instead because of no mushroom soup at home....it was great!