The Daily Water Cooler Thread

Options
Hello all! This is a new thread I'm starting that I hope will be maintained for the entirety of 2011. This isn't a thread where I'll be doing a competition and taking starting weights and ending weights. It's called The Daily Water Cooler because it's meant to be a constant thread for the people who want to participate. The idea is that at least on Mon-Fri the same people log in everyday and say something, wether they're just responding to other posts or mentioning something else. Your weight loss so far, struggles, etc. You can post on the weekends, of course, but I find small groups more helpful than just posting to thousands of people and I'm mostly focused on getting individuals devoted to logging into the thread on a somewhat daily basis. That being said, whether you're maintaining your weight, looking to lose 50+lbs, or just 5 to 20, this is meant to be a less stringent, non-rule-based thread. You make your own rules and share whatever you want at the Water Cooler.

So here goes-I'm Em and I'm looking to lose about 20 more lbs in my weight loss journey. I'm short, so we short ladies know what a big difference a lb makes. New Years rolled around and I decided I really needed to be committed this year to a healthier lifestyle. I used to work out pretty prolifically but I stopped about a year and a half ago because life just didn't seem to afford that time with all the new responsibilities I had. Anyway, I'm not in a race to get where it is I want to be, I just take one day at a time, be it triumph or failure. I think I perform better with my weight loss/health goals when I'm not overly focused on them. If I think about them daily, but not in an overly judgmental or "keeping up with the Jones'" manner, I actually improve. I try not to jump on the scale everyday because when I was doing that it really didn't aid me in any way. I'd get upset with the number or I'd gain two lbs in a day, when I shouldn't have (so you know that's water weight) but it doesn't change the fact that you'd be emotionally annoyed. Anyway, enough about me!

Is anyone else looking for a ten minute break from the daily grind?

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    That sounds fantastic. I too would luv to see the scale move down - but ultimately I want to make better choices. Be more active, more healthful food choices, show my minion the right things instead of just saying them. That being said, I won't pass up a superb home-baked treat. like the brownies I'm about to make for the big roundball tourney at school this weekend. Happy Weekend! Grind only two days away...sigh...
  • slm4
    slm4 Posts: 37
    Options
    What adorable children!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Now - see, I think your pic rocks!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    My attitude regarding my weight loss matches your statement. I too want to get healthier and continue to lose weight but I need to take it one day at a time and realize I will make some unwise choices at times. I do log in daily to this site just to track my food and exercise and read comments for motivation and stay in touch with my goals. If I dwell on the numbers on the scale or on everything that goes into my mouth I end up gaining because somehow I burn out and sabotage myself. I don't have a timeline for the pounds to come off but am focusing on the first 30 pounds for now. I know that I feel better already and I like to measure success by how my clothes and body feel, not the number on the scale because that frustrates me to no end.

So thanks for starting this thread and I will comment daily regarding what is on my mind or to vent, encourage others, etc.

I'm in MInnesota with single digit and below zero temps this week so staying warm is a priority for now! Have a nice day!:ohwell:
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Glad to see your post also jr - "Life is a Journey!! Not a destination" Or rather - not a number. BrRRRR! Glad I can hunker down at home today -25 wind chill with blowing and drifting snow.
  • momstime
    Options
    I too am short. I had always been thin until the last 2-3 years. Between sitting all day working and sitting on the weekends watching kids sporting events, I have gained quite a bit. I work long hours and unfortunately work from home, so it is hard not to snack all day. I really want to lose 17 lbs. I have not been exercising as of yet and have just focused this week on trying to eat better. I really want to try to fit in the exercise and am hoping if I can lose the first few lbs, this will motivate me to make time for the gym. Do you know if walking on treadmill really burns many calories? I have really gotten out of shape and would like to start slow.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Walking on a treadmill or anywhere at a brisk pace is good cardio and will burn fat and calories. The results don't appear too quickly but keep it up and it's also good for your heart. I need to follow my own advice because I feel like I'm gaining or at least retaining water and the scale goes no where. I plan to keep moving and avoid the scale for awhile since it is not reinforcing for me. One day or is it one moment at a time?
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Very lazy today. Did some light cleaning and then have been reading and watching football. Didn't feel like exercising today but Zumba is tomorrow night. Can't wait...
  • slm4
    Options
    momstime-I KNOW what you mean about being a busy individual but working at home. It's incredibly difficult and challenging and it IS much harder to not snack all day. I was really struggling with the daily grazing last year. It was beyond ridiculous. It got to a point were I'd eat a meal and turn around and open a bag of this or that because I knew I had to go work on x, which was sort of stressful. My stress-eating really became a vicious cycle because I'd feel a little pressure to do whatever report it was that needed doing, but eat 800 calories in the space of 5 min, then I'd stress about that, etc etc. Currently, I've become much more successful at stopping those terrible habits. And, yes, walking is great exercise, although, as jrbanta mentions, it's not the most prolific calorie-burner. I hadn't walked for some time because we got freezing temperatures where I am but as soon as the sun came out again I took my dogs on a walk an I swear I really felt some muscles in my legs and backside the next day. From a 30 minute walk! If you have pets or a friend, walking outside is something I find to be the best. I think it's very therapeutic and it's wonderful for breaking you out of the encased house mentality. I find that being at home all day, no matter how busy I am, or how good I've been, doesn't compare to making that time to get out of the house for at least 15 minutes. If 30 minutes seems like alot and too much, you can do 2-15 minute walks. That's actually what I do, but in succession because I'm walking one dog and then the next. I know for many people it can seem as if you should be able to spare an hour or more a day for a gym visit, and I would love to, but I live in the country and that drive to anywhere is 40 minutes. And 40 minutes back. And however long I'm there....I used to be able to devote that type of time to it when I was younger and single. But the responsibilities of the home, etc, our location, make that much more difficult. I also feel like working around the house or tending the yard actually is a great calorie burn, though admittedly it doesn't target certain muscles or engage my heart in a way that it's beat is elevated, as it needs to be, for a good cardio. All the same, I'm on a new effort to see if I can't at least put away a short 20-30 min workout at least 3-5 times a week. Some days it just doesn't happen and I really don't focus on it. I know this last Friday I actually made my way to doing the first 20 min of the Jillian Michael's DVD 6 week abs, and I swear I gained 2-3 lbs on the over the weekend just because I guess my muscles have seemed to have blown up a little and maybe it's water weight. I'm sure it will go down later on, my husband just thinks I shocked them. But I do feel great from it. I don't know if you have children or pets, or neither, but it can be hard to work out at home sometimes just because of all the distractions that I think women feel more compelled to take care of as they arise, rather than focusing on the workout. It never fails that the day I actually throw on some gym clothes and stick a DVD in, my pets suddenly find themselves needing to lay down on the living room floor, in front of the tv, and get into all kinds of shenanigans but, if I were doing anything else, would be peaceably sleeping somewhere NOT in my workout spot. I know when I was younger I'd just get up at 4:30 or 5:00 am and bang that work-out out, and it really worked to do it that early.
  • slm4
    Options
    Everyone keeps mentioning this Zumba thing and I must confess I have utterly no idea what that is.....?
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    heard of Zumba - never done it - but it sounds like fun. Some sort of dance-dance workout. I think there is a new Wii version? I have a bunch of Michelle Dozois DVD's (Peak 10, Breakthru Fitness, 10-minutes Solutions) and luv them. I'm not a big Jillian fan - yelling isn't my thing. MD for some reason just makes me want to keep going. Monday's almost in the can! Then off to the store, grab the minion, start dinner and do me some Cardio Strength. Fingers crossed - I'll still have the gumption once I get that far!
  • slm4
    Options
    I know what you mean about the yelling-I'm not sure how much I'd like that in person but the DVDs I have of hers show a bit more of a toned-down side. She still gives a hard workout but without the yelling. But yes, she can be a bit intense. I haven't heard of Michele D.-maybe I'll check her out sometime...
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Going to try making my 'old' recipe for Porcupine meatballs (just meatballs with rice) with ground chicken tonight. I made turkey meatloaf last week and even Thing 1 and Thing 2 ate it - plus seconds! Happy Tuesday all - could really use a caffeine jolt, but will have to make due with the water until I get home.
  • slm4
    Options
    i read the wildest thing today on metabolism-it was featured in the Daily Mail. It talked really about how you just want to make sure you elevate and keep your BMR high so that you'd always be burning calories throughout the day but it gave all this advice that I guess I'd be leery of because it talked about using caffeine to help out, etc. It even mentioned cigarettes help increase your heart rate, though I hardly think they were advocating smoking it was a bit of a bizarre read.....I don't drink caffeine, though my husband does. I find it just makes me way too hyperactive and I don't need it. Ugh. I worked out the other day and I swear I gained two pounds on the scale from water retention or something because I haven't used those muscles in forever! It always really freaks me out when that happens.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I did a killer Cardio Interval yesterday and am off today. Even my feet hurt! I am a chronic scale watcher. I don't want to be, but am. Yesterday was up (from my weekend workouts?) today I was down - hoping it stays down - have to post weigh in for this 'live healthy' challenge that my sis made me sign up for. The chicken meatballs were pretty good. Thing 1 gave a thumbs up - Thing 2 licked one and then walked away. That's my boys!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Okay I was able to read all the posts and can catch up with the discussion. I LOVE Zumba. I just started a class through our community adult education classes. It is an aerobic work out to music that incorporates salsa, merengue, somba?, etc dance steps along with other movements to work the various muscle groups. Lots of hip movement, squats, kicks, running, leaping, jumping, etc. to music. My teacher is like a Gumby doll. She can move all her body parts at the same time in different directions. The workout really gets your heart rate up, you sweat a ton, and feel great when done. It's fun, you laugh, and attempt to master your coordination at the same time. I am not a good dancer and have difficulty with the hip movements. We did a ton of squats last night so my muscles really were sore today. Right now Zumba is the latest craze in aerobic/dance workouts. I hope it continues because I want to stay in this class each session. I wish it was twice a week. There are DVD workouts coming out, I think Wii or Play Station 3 may have a Zumba workout.

Does anyone have some new ideas for quick and easy snacks I can pack for work. I like to eat a morning and afternoon snack to keep my metabolism going and my blood sugar more stable. I have cheese sticks, nuts, vita top muffings, and fruit. Any other ideas that may keep my on the right track? I'm not weighing in because the scale is not my friend. I also find as I exercise the scale seems to go up or stay the same from muscle or water retention and it frustrates me to no end. I'm feeling so much better so I'm focusing on that and my daily successes so far. I'll weigh in in February sometime. I need to measure my waist etc. but have to find the measuring tape first. My jeans felt loose today!:bigsmile:
  • my8kidsmom
    my8kidsmom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi guys :) Another Zumba lover here. I just joined in and am looking for to getting to know everyone :)

jrbanta: I love greek yogurt for a quick snack :)
  • TexasTKD9
    Options
    Hey everyone! Another shorty here standing at 4'10" and I agree 1lb does make all the difference to us shorties!
    I not only want to lose the weight that I've put on over the past 3-4 years I want to make a lifestyle change. That's my biggest goal right now. Not only for my health but to feel better about myself! I didn't do so hot today seeing as I just finished a king size candy bar but I'm getting right back on track tomorrow no matter what!!!
  • slm4
    Options
    For snacks I know I'll give my husband some hard boiled eggs or a half a cup of veggies. I've also packed him apple slices with some peanut butter to dip in or a handful of almonds. Of course, I give him granola bars, too, or multigrain fig newtons and, if he's anything like yours, I showed up with lunch only to find him finishing off a snack pack of oreos....I'll eat fresh melon, apples, peanut butter and reduced sugar jelly on a wheat puff or rice cake. I like brussel sprouts as a snack. If I've just worked out I'll make a protein shake with slim fast or a protein powder and throw some banana in that. Carrots are good, too. If you have a probelm putting too much ranch dressing on them you an pack them with a side of sour cream mixed with a small amount of ranch dressing. Oatmeal with honey is a weakness and a great little power boost in these cold months.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    For a chocolate treat I like the unsweetened almond milk with some lite chocoalte syrup, at work it's usually grapes and almonds and those 90-calories fiber one bars.