Marijuana and weight loss?

Options
Firstly, I'm not condoning drugs as a weight-loss solution!! Just to make that clear, lol :wink:

But I'm curious what the effects of marijuana smoking on weight loss are. I know alcohol can halt loss for 24 hours (or so I've heard) and is brutal on your liver - but there's not really any info on pot smoking. Now, besides the fact that you can easily eat a day's worth of calories in one sitting, does it cause any other (weight-related!) problems? (Yes, I'm aware of all the other downsides - thanks in advance, haha. )

Which would slam you with more toxins? Alcohol, which we all KNOW screws with your liver, blood, and body.... or weed, which sits in your body fat, wrecks your lungs and supposedly has hundreds of chemicals in it?? :huh:

Replies

• mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i don't know the science behind it, but the munchies is enough!!!

marijuana and weight loss are two words that don't belong in the same sentence!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I dont smoke weed, but I do think alcoho is way worse because our society has an issue with binge drinking.

Not too sure of that whole 24 hour weight loss thing.

And as in anything, it depends on the person. I happen to know someone who does smoke a joint or two a day and goes to work functioning, etc. But if he doesn't smoke his weed for whatever reason, he does not have much of an appetite at all and can't afford to lose any weight.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Well, weed tends to make me hungry and lazy, so i'm going to say the effects are: Not good.

Plus, I don't even want to think about how many calories would be in a pot brownie....

Though, personally, I would rather smoke pot than drink. It's a lot more 'clean'- in that the pot that you smoke isn't that far removed from what grew on the plant. Alcohol is man-made, full of chemicals.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'd ask Snoop if he were a close friend of mine, but besides the munchies that are associated with THC ingestion [along with the lung function, fat solubility, and other toxins from inhaling lit greens you mentioned], I'm not too sure what other effects on weight loss that herb has.

But between the 2, I'd say alcohol is a little more detrimental. I used to do both, and then some.
  • iamkelskels
    Options
    Actually, from my experience, heavy heavy pot smokers tend to lose weight after awhile.. At least at my high school they did. The guys who were really heavy pot smokers lost a lot of weight after a certain point. Even stepping outside of that group, one of my good friends (we don't really speak anymore) starting smoking weed heavily last year (and still does), and the last time I saw him I noticed he had majorly slimmed down much like the other guys at my school had.
    I have no idea if there is any science to back that up, but that's just what I've seen. I've never smoked pot, so that's all I know lol.
  • johnsanderswalls
    Options
    Okay...first off, marijuana doesn't have a ton of chemicals in it...just getting that out of the way. But the downside is the affect it has on your metabolism. It will slow it down and will make it harder for your body to burn calories.

but damn...pot brownies sure are good...LOL

Drugs are bad...mmmkay!

John
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    makes guys get more estrogen makes girls get more testosterone....oh and the munchies!
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any proof in marijuana helping weight loss. One of the side effects is the 'munchies' afterwards so surely you'd just gain weight if anything? :laugh:
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic... marking so I can read responses later :)
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    I think both marijuana and alcohol can be damaging to weight loss efforts. Marijuana stimulates appetite - that's why they recommend it to people with certain medical conditions. Alcohol has calories that are really worthless, IMO - they provide no nutrients so they're wasted calories and there's always the risk of binge drinking that can do serious damage to various organs.

I will say...if I was going to pick one vice, I'd pick the weed as long as I grow it myself.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Haha, thanks guys. I've pretty much experienced what you've all said, but was hoping for a different answer, lol! It's not so much that I want it to make me lose weight, as much as it is that I don't want it to make me GAIN weight like alcohol does (trying to cut back on that... the alcohol that is).

Not that I'm admitting anything (lol), but I'm an occasional smoker at best - I still have a job & full-time university to be on top of :)

John - I live in toronto, it's not uncommon to find all kinds of crap added to it, unfortunately. :frown:

So I guess the consensus is that there's no long-term metabolism damage?
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    back in my chronic days i must've gained like 30 pounds because all i'd do is blaze and eat. after a significant decrease of marijuana consumption though, there is the loss of appetite, which i'd solve by blazing!

a vicious cycle, i know! i'm going to look into this, this topic has sparked my interest!
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it promotes weight loss, BUT YOU ARE AWESOME for posting this topic. Good luck:smokin:
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it promotes weight loss, BUT YOU ARE AWESOME for posting this topic. Good luck:smokin:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Of COURSE, this happened to a friend, and a friend-of-a-friend. I wasn't participating! :smile:

Some people were smoking weed and decided to make a trip to the college coffee shop to get something to eat. They discovered that the shop had some special chocolate cake. They decided to purchase one piece to share, brought it back to their room and ate the most DELICIOUS piece of cake EVER. Went back for piece number 2 and managed to stop after that one.

The next day, they went down to the coffee shop to see what was so special about that cake. There was one piece left, so they purchased it. It was the most dried out thing with the beginnings of mold starting along one edge. Needless to say, that third piece didn't get eaten.

How many calories are in mold? :laugh:
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat EVERYTHING when I smoke. I can't go near that stuff while I'm on a diet.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    forget weed if you want to lose weight smoke crack.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Marijuana can actually make you GAIN weight. It can cause SERIOUS munchies and is known for it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any in decades, but most stoners I've known over the years were stringbeans.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I had to stop blazing to lose weight! I couldn't say no to munching at night when I got home from my second job, the munchies urge was just too strong to control....now that I don't smoke (60days) i've been able to easily keep my appetite on check and the weight just started shedding off!

I miss weed though...but it was the right decision
This discussion has been closed.