Marijuana and weight loss?

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    A guy in the flat next to me smokes Marijuana and the stink of it and hearing him hack up his lungs is enough to put me off for life.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The last guy that came into my Thai Boxing class stoned I knocked out with a shin kick to his neck. When he got up one of my students then knocked him out with a spinning back elbow. In my gym we prefer there to be no smoking and no drugs please. If you do smoke around us it will be bad for your health.

I wish the Diaz brothers would walk into your gym.

mPnxE.jpg

tumblr_mbkonqyeB41qgar4mo1_500.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Apparently the THC causes your blood sugar to drop and that's why you ge munchies (don't take my word as gospel, just what I read!) and I get BAD munchies so I try to avoid it unless I'm having a cheat day. Although if I only have healthy food it's not so bad, just means I eat tubs of cottage cheese before even leaving the kitchen lol

What you've read is correct.

http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(13)00200-3/abstract
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I prefer to hit a small pipe or a bong because there are no calories. A bottle of wine is a different story. I'm not afflicted by "the munchies" when I burn so it's still a huge bonus to smoke vs drink FOR ME.

Edited to establish that English is my first language
  • kayjay14
    kayjay14 Posts: 18
    Options
    Google is your friend.. :laugh:
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/08/marijuana-slims-pot-smoking-linked-to-lower-body-weight/

'A new study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology finds an intriguing connection between marijuana use and body weight, showing that rates of obesity are lower by roughly a third in people who smoke pot at least three times a week, compared with those who don’t use marijuana at all.'

I do not know the science behind this, but I do know, that when I drink, not only am I getting the calories from drinkng, I'm also prone to late night snacking.
    If I smoke, I sometimes munch, but mostly I don't. ( I mean, my friend does not get the munchies when she smokes)

Other than the increase in appetite when smoking, I have not heard/read anything that would lead me to believe Marijuana has an impact on metabolism or processing foods.
  • technobunny
    Options
    Study conducted by the American Journal of Medicine on The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults.

http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(13)00200-3/fulltext
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have friends who smoke it occasionally, and from what I've seen, it's a food fest free for all.

Nope can't see how that would contribute to weight loss.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Unless it causes you to be too lazy to exercise or munch out uncontrollably, then I think it's agreeable with weight loss. That's where a lot of people get caught up though. It takes A LOT of self control and willpower to overcome munchies.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I am unable to get it these days because I don't know anyone who is safe to ask about it, but I've noticed that the pain relief alone made me want to get up and move, either dancing or going for a nice walk. And as I recall, munchies tend to subside with repeated use, particularly if you are not trying to get absurdly stoned every time. Everything in moderation.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    All I can say is "everything in moderation." I smoked non-stop when I was in my teen years and I didn't see any ill effects of it, other than lethargy and the munchies, but as a teen, you still have energy once it wears off and that awesome metabolism that seems to die as you age. However, as an adult, I could smoke multiple times a day and still be conscious of what I'm eating. I never pigged out on snacks in my older years. It can lift your mood, ease aches and pains and depending on what strand you're using, you could actually have energy to be productive! I'm not saying it's for everyone, especially for people who can't control their appetite, but it has it's uses.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    The last guy that came into my Thai Boxing class stoned I knocked out with a shin kick to his neck. When he got up one of my students then knocked him out with a spinning back elbow. In my gym we prefer there to be no smoking and no drugs please. If you do smoke around us it will be bad for your health.

tumblr_lxtq1fDmPb1r8058ko1_500.gif

:laugh:

I still can't believe that message. If it's not trolling, it is assault IMO. I have several friends who train seriously (and compete) and they would never act like that to anyone in their gym. You take shots at your own gym members, because their opinions on marijuana are different than yours?

Talk about giving mixed martial arts a bad name. Every single MMA gym I have ever been to would NOT condone that kind of behaviour.
This discussion has been closed.