Man Cave - Any Guys on MFP?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    let's get this thread going again. i'll post a question and see if that helps

1. do you have a short term fitness goal?
    2. what about a long term one?

my short term goal is to have a 1000 lb total in the bench press, squat and power clean. right now i'm stuck at 855 lbs
    my long term goal is to run an ultramarathon. the Canadian Death Race is the one i'd like to run one day.

Do I have a short term fitness goal? To bike over 25 miles in one stretch which I did today with a 27 mile ride. That means I need a new goal. I will have to think about that.

As for a long term goal it is to get a six pack for the first time in my life hopefully within the next year. This will require some body redesign which I have sort of started already although my main focus right now is still to get to my goal weight of 165. Then I will re-evaluate.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    1. short term: Slow bulking until end of September. Currently 78kg. Hopefully get to about 82kg or so. Also trying to keep ab bf calipers at 14mm or less.

2. 80kg & 8%ish BF. DL BWx3, squat BW x 2.5, bench BWx1.5, SOHP BWx1, 25 muscle ups, handstand pushups for reps.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    Options
    let's get this thread going again. i'll post a question and see if that helps

1. do you have a short term fitness goal?
    2. what about a long term one?

my short term goal is to have a 1000 lb total in the bench press, squat and power clean. right now i'm stuck at 855 lbs
    my long term goal is to run an ultramarathon. the Canadian Death Race is the one i'd like to run one day.

1. short term goal: lose an extra 12kg by Dec 28, break the 30min 5km barrier and run my first half-marathon in May 2012.
    2. long term: to start and finish the Coast To Kosciuszko one day.. after a few marathons and 100k races.

As much as I enjoy slow long runs, improving my pace and distance is my goal by the end of 2011, losing an extra 12kg will help me get there.
  • theberg
    Options

Do I have a short term fitness goal? To bike over 25 miles in one stretch which I did today with a 27 mile ride. That means I need a new goal. I will have to think about that.

As for a long term goal it is to get a six pack for the first time in my life hopefully within the next year. This will require some body redesign which I have sort of started already although my main focus right now is still to get to my goal weight of 165. Then I will re-evaluate.

Half century or metric century (62 miles) I'm working on the metric.
  • ryno1974
    ryno1974 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Man Cave what a great idea thanks OP.

1. Short term goal finish C25K
    2. Long term goal run 10k, and lose a bunch of weight!!
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    Well I came back.

Short term goal: to get back to the 256.5 I was when I stopped coming here.

Long term goal get down to the 250 that was my goal when I stopped. Set that goal for Christmas. If I make that then I want to work my way down to 225.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    1. short term: Slow bulking until end of September. Currently 78kg. Hopefully get to about 82kg or so. Also trying to keep ab bf calipers at 14mm or less.

2. 80kg & 8%ish BF. DL BWx3, squat BW x 2.5, bench BWx1.5, SOHP BWx1, 25 muscle ups, handstand pushups for reps.

Injuries screwed that up a bit. Didn't get anywhere near 82kg. Got to 79kg, cut a bit and now 77kg again. Got dexa scan at 77kg and 7%BF.

1. Continue hip/groin & shoulder rehab. Do exercises I can and hopefully get that 140kg squat soon.

2. 2. 80kg & 8%ish BF. DL BWx3, squat BW x 2.5, bench BWx1.5, SOHP BWx1, 25 muscle ups, handstand pushups for reps.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hey I just spotted this thread. After seeing all the "ladies only" threads (I regret it every time I take a peek), its glad to see a beefy, blokey thread on offer. With 8 pages too (and counting!)

Going back to the original questions, here's my 2 cents after spending over 110 or so days on mfp:

1. While Strength Training - Is there a creative or unusual exercise you do for strength training your Chest, Back, or Arms besides the traditional presses, rows, and curls? I've heard about kettleballs and seen some odd exercises at the gym.

My answer: Don't laugh at me but I strength train using heavy weights only once a week. Dunno why but it seems to work for me. I do lots of walking and have great calves (from lugging all that weight around), therefore I concentrate on upper body. Bench press, Shoulder pushes, arm curls, bent over rows. I actually keep a set of dumbells upstairs to make sure that I do not miss my routine for when it is too cold, I'm too lazy to go downstairs etc. But then again I have been sedentary for many years so no surprise that "any" exercise is better than none!

2. Beer, Brats, and Football - One advantage I see that guys have is we will occasionally treat ourselves with wings and beer, etc every once in a while. Do you do this, if so - what’s your standing rule? (i.e. got to be good 5 days before I can loosen up on a Saturday for the game). Does it harm you or hurt you?

My answer: I have just started playing touch footie with a bunch of old mates and new friends. Burns a lot more calories than watching footie on tellie - and even more fun. Having said all of that, yep I do enjoy watching a good game at the stadium or on tellie and I do indulge in the usual snacks. My weakness is pizza, I cannot stop. I make sure that if I over indulge too much that I need to kick myself into doing added exercising and tightening up on the cals over (at least) the next few days.

3. Do you incorporate sports into your regimen (Racquetball, Karate, etc) - do you find it effective?

My answer: Aside from touch footie, no, but can see real value in doing something fun. Might take on squash again

4. What is a staple in your new diet that works well and keeps you full.

My answer: I try to eat porridge or good quality cereal on most mornings (Goodness Superfoods has a great range). Keeps me full and regular. Lunch and dinner always varies but you can't go past lean cuts of meat such as chicken breast, lean steak etc to keep you full.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I love how this thread keeps coming back.

I am currently involved in the 12th Turbulence Training body transformation contest so all my workouts are from the Turbulence Training stuff. I am currently focusing on Body Weight workouts as I like the flexibility it gives me for workouts when I am away from home. When I change workouts again in November (TT have you changing workout programs every 4 weeks) I will likely go back to the weights until the end of the contest in December (10th I believe). I doubt I will win, but I am getting a good change in my body, so I can't complain. Who knows I may win, that would be a bonus in my mind even if it was second or third.

Going to have some challenges this weekend as I am camping with a bunch of guys so most of the foods is going to be things like steak, and the beverages beer.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    In on man thread.

1. While Strength Training - Is there a creative or unusual exercise you do for strength training your Chest, Back, or Arms besides the traditional presses, rows, and curls?
    I like to stick to the basic compounds for the most part.
    For shoulders I like to throw in push presses, chest I like doing flys (well hate them but they give me a good pump). Back I like deads and shrugs.

2. Beer, Brats, and Football - I don't drink often. So when I do, I get the beer I want. Life is too short to drink light beer. New Castle and Guinness are two faves.
    I treat myself to wings and junk food on occasion too. Nothing wrong with a good cheat meal.

3. Do you incorporate sports into your regimen (Racquetball, Karate, etc) - do you find it effective? I played soccer a lot last year. I was really really lean from all the running. definately helps with cardio, and keeping things fun.

I'm trying to gain so my staple is whole milk. Easy cals, protein.
    But for weight loss, I do a lot of carrots.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Man Cave....Awesome. I've noticed a few guys post about the Warrior Dash. I've done it, it was awesome. (See my profile pic) That's the Warrior Dash in a nutshell right there. Best day ever. Any other guys done the Warrior Dash?
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Man Cave....Awesome. I've noticed a few guys post about the Warrior Dash. I've done it, it was awesome. (See my profile pic) That's the Warrior Dash in a nutshell right there. Best day ever. Any other guys done the Warrior Dash?
    I've done two of them and am looking forward to next year already. There are a couple of other similar races that I might try also.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • rileysowner
    Options

I was seriously thinking about it, but a chronic injury of my knee flared up in May and to this day causes me discomfort, although not as much as it did for the first few months after it flared up. I figured running injured was not something I wanted to do. Maybe next year, although my surgery is not scheduled until Oct 31, 2012, so maybe not. I will wait and see what my knee is like.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Started a Man Cave group in the Groups section. Guys feel free to join up.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wondered how come I haven't seen this post before. But as much as I like the opposite sex, sometimes some male oriented post are good to read. We do have different brains. My main exercises are bike riding, and mix martial arts. plus what ever I do in my barn. Sometimes I walk with my wife, and other times just punch my bag, and ride my ss bike. I haven't stay in touch with football as much, but watch occasional games.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I forgot bouldering and rock climbing when ever possible it is difficult I live in flat FL. but do have a small bouldering wall on my barn that I use frequently.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    You haven't seen it because it quickly scrolls off. That is why I started a group for men. I liked the title man cave, but apparently few men want a group based on who has joined, or not in this case.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    My exercise is either DDR or Badminton, both of which can be classed as HIIT. A minute or 2 of high intensity, then between 10-30 secs rest. Almost tabata-esque, and it's worked wonders for me! :D

I don't really like setting goals, as (a) ill be disappointed if i don't make it, and (b) I feel like i'm tempting fate if i do set them.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

1. While Strength Training - Is there a creative or unusual exercise you do for strength training your Chest, Back, or Arms besides the traditional presses, rows, and curls? I've heard about kettleballs and seen some odd exercises at the gym.

2. Beer, Brats, and Football - One advantage I see that guys have is we will occasionally treat ourselves with wings and beer, etc every once in a while. Do you do this, if so - what’s your standing rule? (i.e. got to be good 5 days before I can loosen up on a Saturday for the game). Does it harm you or hurt you?

3. Do you incorporate sports into your regimen (Racquetball, Karate, etc) - do you find it effective?

Can't believe I am just now seeing this thread. Cool.

1. I am enjoying adding Power Cleans to my regimen. I am focusing on compound moves primarily.
    2. I limit my cheat meals to no more than every couple of weeks, and then it is only one meal. Typically pizza and beer.
    3. Not yet. I would like to add some rock climbing as I get lighter and stronger.
    4. Sweet potatoes and grilled chicken. Makes for a great lunch while at work.