Pregnancy 2011-February

Options

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I find it surprising that you have not seen someone who was not before ckmama - but again like you said it probably depends on your area, etc.

I haven't before in person, but I've only been with my husband so I don't have a lot to compare to. :laugh:. Wait, actually, I might have babysat for one when I was a lot younger, but I was like 12 or 13 so don't think I really knew at the time one way or another how it was 'supposed' to look. :laugh:
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies on the website for pregnant women. I thought it was kind of high, but wasn't sure.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    The SUN is out. Excited to take my pups for a walk today... now only if I can get the hubby to come along...
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Ladies I need some help! I went to register Friday night and was looking at all of the different breast pump options and have no idea! Can you all give me some advice on brands, types, etc?? I will be breastfeeding from home for the first 4 months, then I'll have to pump while at work. Thanks in advance for the help!
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Ladies I need some help! I went to register Friday night and was looking at all of the different breast pump options and have no idea! Can you all give me some advice on brands, types, etc?? I will be breastfeeding from home for the first 4 months, then I'll have to pump while at work. Thanks in advance for the help!

I second that. Plus I was wondering if there is even a need for us to register for one since I'll pretty much be a SAHM with a few part-time hours on the side.
  • AnneElise
    Options

I third this question!
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options

I second that. Plus I was wondering if there is even a need for us to register for one since I'll pretty much be a SAHM with a few part-time hours on the side.

I think even if you are a SAHM you should have one. You can pump after a feeding to get an extra supply- breast milk will stay in the freezer for quite some time I am told. That way- if you are sick or very very tired daddy or someone else can feed the baby from a bottle in the evening/on the weekend, etc if you need a rest.

In terms of types though I have no idea!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

I went with what I have been told is the best next to the hospital grade one. I got a medela double electric pump, I will only be home for 6 weeks after and will have to have the baby on a bottle while at work afterwards. I figure I will try to hold out 3-4 weeks on giving her a bottle but then after that I will have hubby introduce the bottle so she will be fed while I am at work. I have had other pumps with each of my boys and both hurt, I played around with this one and it seems soft and gentle like the one I had used in the hospital with #1. There is also a super convenience with this one since it comes in a back pack, it is easy to take along and there is a storage bag you can easily stick in the fridge for the supply you pump.

Here is the link to the one I purchased, I got mine used on Ebay for just $60 so if you do not get one for your shower you may want to look on there. All of the parts can be steralized and even replaced but when you rent from the hospital they just steralize anyways and for what these cost and the length of time you will actually use it I say buy used and spend the difference on other stuff you will need for baby. I wont actually know how well it pumps until Brooklynn arrives, I doubt anything would come out if I tried right now :laugh: The pump has some pretty good review though so check it out.

http://www.target.com/Medela-Style-Advanced-Breast-Backpack/dp/B0011E75RK/ref=sc_qi_detaillink
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I've had the Medela electric double pumps recommended to me again and again.

Like Sheri said, if you look around on Craigslist & eBay, you can usually find used ones for WAY less than they cost new. There was one listed in my city on Craigslist for $75 on Friday. I emailed the woman but haven't heard back yet. I'll be buying new tubing & bottles so I don't have to worry about the used tubes & bottles being sanitary. New, I've seen the In Style Advanced range from about $230-$270 which is just too much for me to pay right now. I found a a place that sells the In Style Advanced models for about $230 so that makes it $195 if you have a 15% of coupon (@Burlington Coat Factory -- I've found 2 15% off 1 item coupons in baby magazine samples from my OB's office).

If I can't find a used one at a great price, I'm just going to grab a little manual pump & see what happens. I'll be home from work for 12 weeks so there's plenty of time to get one before I go back to work. I just don't want to drop $200 on a pump & then have my milk not come in or something. My SIL's sister dropped $300 on a new Medela then had an emergency c-section and she never started producing milk so she can't even use it. :ohwell:
  • 1fitmama
    1fitmama Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am probably opening a huge can or worms here... but what is everyone planning to do re: circumcision? (if you have a boy)

Personally for my husband and I, I don't feel we need to do it. Hundreds of thousands of men are not circumsized. It will hurt the baby. There can be complications.

Hubby is cut, so he of course feels his son should be too. But that was almost 30 years ago and times have changed now. I am so torn!

We chose not to circ our son b/c we are not religious and are no medical reasons to circ. I haven't encountered any problems and my son is almost 2 1/2.
  • 1fitmama
    Options
    Hey ladies! Sorry I wasn't around to comment the last couple of days. My internet was out.

We went to the Dr. today and had our 18wk ultrasound. We are having a little girl!! I'm so excited! We already decided on our girl name awhile back: Emma Jolie Miller. I can't wait to meet her.

Congrats on your girl! :heart:
  • 1fitmama
    Options
    Pump-I have a Medela Pump in Style-single pump. It works great and I've had it for 5+ years.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    I've had the Medela electric double pumps recommended to me again and again.

Like Sheri said, if you look around on Craigslist & eBay, you can usually find used ones for WAY less than they cost new. There was one listed in my city on Craigslist for $75 on Friday. I emailed the woman but haven't heard back yet. I'll be buying new tubing & bottles so I don't have to worry about the used tubes & bottles being sanitary. New, I've seen the In Style Advanced range from about $230-$270 which is just too much for me to pay right now. I found a a place that sells the In Style Advanced models for about $230 so that makes it $195 if you have a 15% of coupon (@Burlington Coat Factory -- I've found 2 15% off 1 item coupons in baby magazine samples from my OB's office).

If I can't find a used one at a great price, I'm just going to grab a little manual pump & see what happens. I'll be home from work for 12 weeks so there's plenty of time to get one before I go back to work. I just don't want to drop $200 on a pump & then have my milk not come in or something. My SIL's sister dropped $300 on a new Medela then had an emergency c-section and she never started producing milk so she can't even use it. :ohwell:

Yes new is just too expensive, definately check on Ebay though I bought this one when I was only like 12 weeks because I had been doing research and decided to check prices. The auction was about to end and the next bid was only $60 so I didnt even think twice, I just placed my bid and won. I think shipping was like $10 or $15 bucks but I figure I can still get a good amount of money back on it and the investment wouldn't be anymore than a cheap one. I dont know if waiting the 12 weeks is a good idea though in introducing a bottle, sometimes baby refuses so that is why I want to do it in a few weeks. Mamatoabunch just said to make sure that you are not the one giving it to her. Have hubby introduce the bottle that way your baby knows that you will provide her with a breast and others will give her a bottle. That is our plan
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I dont know if waiting the 12 weeks is a good idea though in introducing a bottle, sometimes baby refuses so that is why I want to do it in a few weeks. Mamatoabunch just said to make sure that you are not the one giving it to her. Have hubby introduce the bottle that way your baby knows that you will provide her with a breast and others will give her a bottle. That is our plan

I figure they'll never be stubborn enough to starve themselves rather than eat what is available so I don't worry - will he won't he take a bottle or a boob? I let the hospital nursery keep and feed him at night while I was there. It was just easier and let me sleep a little. If I hadn't had a C/S I probably would have had them bring him in to eat. I had no interest in him rooming in. I sometimes gave him a bottle too when he was a little older and sometimes B/F just depending on where we were or what we were doing. He had no problem going back and forth.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

I think even if you are a SAHM you should have one. You can pump after a feeding to get an extra supply- breast milk will stay in the freezer for quite some time I am told. That way- if you are sick or very very tired daddy or someone else can feed the baby from a bottle in the evening/on the weekend, etc if you need a rest.

In terms of types though I have no idea!

I am a stay at home mom and have had one all along. My first purchase was not right for me, it was a manual and only one pump. Way too time consuming. My second has lasted me a long time and will be on its third baby! I have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced Backpack and it is awesome. It has two pumps (so you can pump both breasts at the same time) and can be used with electric, battery, or manual operation. I highly recommend it.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I figure they'll never be stubborn enough to starve themselves rather than eat what is available so I don't worry - will he won't he take a bottle or a boob? I let the hospital nursery keep and feed him at night while I was there. It was just easier and let me sleep a little. If I hadn't had a C/S I probably would have had them bring him in to eat. I had no interest in him rooming in. I sometimes gave him a bottle too when he was a little older and sometimes B/F just depending on where we were or what we were doing. He had no problem going back and forth.

I completely agree. I didn't have a c-section but I also had my children stay in the nursery at night. If they are hungry they will eat. I fed my kids with both methods (back and forth) and have never had any problems with breast feeding whatsoever with any of them.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    If I need extra milk I hand express, I don't respond to a pump. I don't have pump suggestions other than if you plan on pumping often get an electric. You can rent a pump until you are sure you will need it, it isn't something you need right away unless you have a medically compromised baby or a baby w/ a cleft lip and/or palate. Hospitals will often provide a pump in that situation or you can rent at that point. Otherwise, put baby to your breast. All babies are born to nurse. BTW virtually all women will have milk come in, hormones are released after the placenta is delivered that signal milk production. It can take longer if it is your first baby or if you had a c/s. All your baby needs until then is your colostrum, baby's tummies are very, very tiny at first and don't need much at a feeding, just feeding often.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    Having the baby stay in the nursery has never been an option for me, at Kaiser they have the baby stay with the mom in her room. I have only seen one baby not in the room and they had it out at the nurses station crying all night. The mom had postpardon depression and refused to have the baby be around her. From what I have seen a majority of the hospitals around here have baby stay with mom, I don't know anyone who was even given the option to put the baby in the nursery.

My friends last 2 kids would have starved, they absolutely refused a bottle and would just not eat. The kids would cry for hours, fortunately she never had to leave them for very long. I hope that I can release for the pump because I plan on not using any formula this time around and hubby has been given strict orders not to let the baby out of his sight while I get my surgeries. He is to make sure they do not dare give that girl a bottle, the did that with my oldest and he NEVER latched, I was too sick with an infection and high fevers and we didnt think it would hurt anything. My second did not get a bottle in the hospital as all and was good at latching, I never thought he got enough to eat because I listened to mom and timed him on each breast and such. This time around I have read so much I am not listening to anyone, I will let her eat for as long as she wants,even if only on one breast since my pump has the option to pump one or both.
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i used the manual Avent. it was ok, but with large breasts, it was difficult and I couldn't pump much. plus i had carpal tunnel syndrome really bad and couldn't pump without loosing feeling in my hands.
    http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3404931

I've also used the Ameda hospital grade pump. it was AWESOME!
    http://www.ameda.com/ameda-products/ameda-elite-electric-breast-pump

i also tried the Medela Symphony hospital grade. it didn't work for me.
    http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breast-pumps/223/symphony-breastpump

For this next baby, i'm going to get the Avent IQ electric pump. :) i still have the old manual Avent pump, but i never exchanged it when the BPA crisis came out, so I want a new one. considering the old one is 7 years old and not BPA free.

it was REALLY nice to have a frozen supply for a night out or just a break. when the baby starts eating food, you can use it to make cereal or add it to mashed potatoes or put it in baking. (muffins, etc)

We didn't have a nursery in the hospital where DD (#1) was born. one night, she was crying and a nurse came in and offered to take her to let me sleep. :) sooooo nice! when DS (#2) was born, I asked the nurse if she could take him b/c he was up 2 nights and cluster feeding. I was TIRED! they kept him at the nurses station. again, nice break. :)

DD didn't get a bottle, but when older switched between breast, expressed breast milk in a bottle, and different kinds of formula with out a problem, until 6 months. then she caught a virus that started killing off her immune system, and wouldn't take anything but breast. refused bottle since.
    DS got a bottle in the hospital but wouldn't drink more than half an oz. he refused paci's and bottles, even tho i tried. :grumble:
    he was exclusively breast fed. finally took a paci @ 2.5 months, then refused the paci @ 8 months and never took it again. and never took to a bottle. :grumble:

our community has since built on to our main hospital to assimilate the 2 older hospitals, and I haven't been in the new maternity ward. I don't know what it will be like, but i've heard it's NICE.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    hmmm. I can't really imagine not having the baby stay with me at night... but I guess I really have no idea. I will just see how things are going.

Does anyone remember having gas problems around 14 weeks? Now that I am not getting sick I am feeling soooo gassy. Anyone have a solution for that?

Just graded papers for 4 hours while watching the superbowl... the joys of teaching :D