Team UK - February 2011

Options

Replies

• gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Irns I have my activity set to lightly active but am infact active. I've done this because for 3 days a week I have more restful days and I hope it balances over the week. My lightly active includes: 8 hours gardening a week. 14 hours housekeeping (not my own), walking the dog daily for 25 mins on hill, doing my own housework, shopping and general walking to and from everywhere. On top of that I can have up to 4 - 6 massages to do a week (more in the summer), some are full body which takes an hour.

Exercise for me is when I don my leggings, hrm, and hit the high percentage heart rate and sweat.

This has worked for me. I sometimes go way over my calories (I'm talking 1,000s if I have a bad day and can happen once or twice a week) and I find this allows for me to have these days without putting on weight.

Looking back to xmas when I put on 4lb, I had two full weeks off of everything apart from exercise, but forgot to lower my cals so that was a lesson learnt for next year.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I watch biggest loser UK and US it gets me so motivated to lose weight!! also seeing them working hard and losing those lbs makes it fun to see their weigh in every week, makes me all nervous for mine as well! love it

I really wish they would show their workout stats. I mean it's TV it's got to be edited, I really want to know/see how much time and cals they burn on those machines !!!

I got watching some videos on the ITV website as I went their to enter the biggest loser competition. It goes in to more details about the exercise routines and shows a day in the life of a contestant. Although still edited it does show more of the reality of it
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I dunno how big anyone here is with blogging, but I just had to tell you about this blog: http://ms*****cakes.blogspot.com

It is a blog about a woman's journey to lose weight and exercise, and it is an inspirational blog. Every single problem, doubt or fear you've ever felt, Sheryl's had it, and conquered it. Whenever I'm looking for inspiration, I have a quick read of a couple of her posts and feel like I can get myself back on track. Have a look if you fancy :)

Just a note though - some of the images she posts aren't always SFW (safe for work), so maybe its a blog for home viewing!

xxx
  • idharris
    idharris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm quite enjoying The Biggest Loser but the blatent advertising for the "The Biggest Loser Club" website and shakes etc. is annoying me. It is as if the programme is a side-thought for the advertising.

Saying that I am right behind the Black Team though. Ben has such the right attitude.

On the point about the portion size, I thought they were using that website to track their calories etc? Shouldn't the personal trainers be keeping an eye on the contestants?
  • lrns88
    Options
    I'm quite enjoying The Biggest Loser but the blatent advertising for the "The Biggest Loser Club" website and shakes etc. is annoying me. It is as if the programme is a side-thought for the advertising.

Saying that I am right behind the Black Team though. Ben has such the right attitude.

On the point about the portion size, I thought they were using that website to track their calories etc? Shouldn't the personal trainers be keeping an eye on the contestants?

Oooooh true I'd completely forgotten they'd been tracking their calories. Maybe they've been under-estimating.......or lying!

Definitely agree with Ben - I love his attitude, and I really want him to win!
  • yvonnej1
    Options
    I thought they were on a pretty low calorie diet, so my initial thought was it just shows that if you really limit calories but keep working out hard your weight loss will stall as your body starts to cling on to every bit of nourishment it can. After all it goes against most of what we're taught about losing weight sensibly and sustainably.
  • yvonnej1
    Options
    Along a similar line just found this link on another thread, it explains that you can't actually lose more than 1-2 pounds of fat per week and if you lose more weight it will water, muscle etc. http://marckent.com/288/why-the-scale-lies/
  • lrns88
    Options
    Along a similar line just found this link on another thread, it explains that you can't actually lose more than 1-2 pounds of fat per week and if you lose more weight it will water, muscle etc. http://marckent.com/288/why-the-scale-lies/

This is why most experts tell you to throw away the scales and go by inches lost instead.
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    I had a great January - since New Year's I lost 8.4 lbs (but only 7.8 lbs on MFP as I gained some over Christmas!) so I'm well chuffed. It's been a month of eating better, feeling better and exercising way more. Let's hope Feburary is going to be just as good, not just for me but everyone else :smile:
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I only caught a bit of The Biggest Loser on Monday but I admit I did turn over when I saw the clip of that cake-bingy bit. I'm sorry, but what on earth is that trying to prove?! Wouldn't we all inhale as much free cake as we could if locked in a room with it?! I was shocked by the lack of weight loss though - people that size doing that amount of exercise should be losing weight! No chat about muscle gain or anything, as they must be losing more fat than the muscle they have built up! As mat_lock said, it must be food. Next weeks could be interesting!

I wondered that also but surely that amount of exercise would of counteracted the food they ate and they should of still ad a loss if within their calorie limit ? is that not how it goes ?
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I've done photos and measurements because my PT said if you're exercising loads you might not lose weight, but you'll lose inches. That's what I'm hoping anyway!!!

This is the trouble i am having ihave lonst about a lb but lost and inch and can feel my stomach getting harder underneath the layer of fat so i'm trying to not feel disheartened about the scale i am a bit of a scale checker :-(
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have to admit i am a scale addict too. Really must learn to leave them alone except for my Wednesday Weigh Day!! :blushing:
  • JimJam87
    Options
    Hey guys.
    Lost 0.5lb last night but I havent really been trying this week...off to the gym tonight though to kickstart my week!!
    I'm now a member of the Northern numpties :) GO TEAM NORTH!! But I dont really know much about the thread...is it weight and inches? and what day do we check in?
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's just percentage weight loss.
    Whenever is your normal weigh day, you need to then tell Rosy on or before Saturday morning.
    I weigh Friday nights for the competition but my official weigh ins are on Wednesdays for myself.
  • lrns88
    Options

I only caught a bit of The Biggest Loser on Monday but I admit I did turn over when I saw the clip of that cake-bingy bit. I'm sorry, but what on earth is that trying to prove?! Wouldn't we all inhale as much free cake as we could if locked in a room with it?! I was shocked by the lack of weight loss though - people that size doing that amount of exercise should be losing weight! No chat about muscle gain or anything, as they must be losing more fat than the muscle they have built up! As mat_lock said, it must be food. Next weeks could be interesting!

I wondered that also but surely that amount of exercise would of counteracted the food they ate and they should of still ad a loss if within their calorie limit ? is that not how it goes ?

Well thats in theory what would happen: as long as you burn more than you eat you'll lose weight. They must have been inhaling blocks of cheese to only lose about 1lb each!!
  • allana3uk
    allana3uk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone!

I'm so pleased to discover a UK thread here! I'm Ang, and I joined MFP on Monday to rack my calories for the Rosemary Conley Amazing Inch Plan. I'm doing it at home since there aren't any classes that I can make it to. I've previously lost weight with Weight Watchers which I loved until they changed to ProPoints and my weight started to go up!!

Anyway, I am currently on 1200cals a day for the next week and a bit, then bumping up to 1400cals, and finally going on to a more generous (hopefully) allowance. I must admit that I was totally bricking it about eating so little, but I'm finding it surprisingly okay and have even managed to find the energy to exercise. Anyone else doing RC?
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Welcome allana, I've done RC, SW and WW over the last quarter of a century at some stage. I've found that this has been the only thing that has worked for me. I think thats because I've stuck with foods I love just having smaller portions and gradually making them healthier versions.
  • fatgirlslim47
    Options
    Hi Everyone, have just found the Team UK and would love to join you all!! I joined MFP in January and after a few mishaps I seem to have got into the swing of things. I have lost weight in the past with weight watchers but I really didn't want to pay loads of money to join a class with support only once a week so I am finding MFP is really helping me.

Jackie
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for creating the new post Mat - I was avoiding my laptop like the plague cos I seemed to be physically attached to it for a couple weeks!

Hope everyone is doing ok and I'm really pleased to see a couple more newbies. Welcome!!!!
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Anyone else wondering how many calories you burn supporting England against Wales in the 6 nations? :tongue: