30 Day Challenge

Options

Replies

• oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    ceejay - thanks for the great info. The 2nd article was particularly helpful for me. I also found this site to be helpful as well:
    http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/weight-maintenance-calculator-women

I was able to determine that MFP has my cal intake set a bit low (1200 when it should be no less than 1269). Over the last week and-a-half I've been trying to workout to balance my cal intake so that I will be able to eat enough to feel satisfied but that I don't go over my allotment between daily allowance + workout cals. Even to the point that if I'm hungry in the evening or over 800 cals before dinner, I'll make myself get in a little extra exercise first (I even did that tonite before I read this). But after today's challenge, reading up articles/posts and doing a little on-line digging myself, I think I should probably tone it down a bit and not be so compulsive about being under cals.

Last night I felt a little guilty that I had nut crackers and low fat cheddar right before bed because I was so hungry, which pushed me over my cals for the day. But now I'm looking at that a bit differently - that was my body tellign me that it needed just a little bit more to be healthy and safe. I'm going to work over the next week to listen to the voice that says "listen lady, I'm legit hungry, so feed me!" :laugh:
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Anytime you can feed the "munchies" with a few crackers, etc. instead of half a bag, it shows you are beginning to think about what goes in your mouth. I had consumed all my calories for last night, including a very satisfying steak and a late night snack, but just before bedtime, I felt the need for something else--so I ate 3 tortilla chips, and that settled it down. Previously, I would have piled several large handfuls of tortilla chips onto a platter, covered them with a bunch of shredded cheddar cheese and chowed down, and then felt uncomfortably stuffed. I consumed way more empty calories this past winter than was good for me, just by mindless snacking.

47 minutes/2.6 miles walking today. The forecast is snow tonight, so walking tomorrow may not be on the schedule.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Wow Ceejay, I read both of those articles and they are extremely informative. I hope everyone gets a chance to read these. I think this was a great topic for discussion and I don't know about the rest of you but it really opened my eyes and makes so much more sense. Thanks for the info Ceejay as I"m sure everyone here is interested in losing but doing it within healthy limits. Knowledge is power and we are not only losing weight but getting smarter in weight loss.. This is great:)
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, busy day here, been gone all day, still need to do my BMR!

I wanted to post tomorrows challenge, someone sent me a message and suggested this and I think it's a good one:

No eating in front of the TV. Isn't that good? Why some of you might ask? Eating in front of the TV causes mindless eating and you are not focusing on your food and really enjoying it. I know I've been guilty of this many times, as well as eating in front of the computer. So tomorrows challenge is sloooooow down and ENJOY your food, eat slowly and I guarantee you'll stay full longer without all the distractions!
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    My BMR is 1506...very interesting, I agree with you all when you say just eat back your exercise calories if you are extremely active...it seems like so many people on this site tell you to do it but only you have to figure out your own groove and see what is working for you! I came across this blog post one day and I really think it was very helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/1fitmamaoftwins/view/the-1200-calorie-starvation-mode-68416
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I like today's challenge. I always find it more enjoyable to have a nice, slow-paced meal with actual conversation instead of mindlessly eating while staring at the TV. Thanks!
  • swtchrypie
    Options
    I agree I love todays challenge! I always seem to be eating in front of the tv. It's a horrible habit!
  • nikki8marie
    nikki8marie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was a kind of record for me with drinking water, 12 glasses! When we started this I wasn't a big water drinker, I wanted something with flavor. Now I've noticed that I crave plain water but I still have some tea or add one of those crystal light packets once in awhile. Although I was too low on my calories yesterday, I just wasn't hungry and I have been trying to listen to my body more.

I like the goal of not eating in front of the tv or computer. This used to be a huge problem for me because thats how I grew up doing it, dinner was on the couch watching Survivor. So today I will have my meals at my own table. First, I have to clean off the mountain of junk that got left there. Anyone else find that their tables quickly become just another junk drawer?
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    I don't have a TV, but I have been slowly succumbing to the temptation to eat in front of the computer, since the kitchen table is also my desk! So yes, I like the challenge as well! Its good to focus on what you're doing. Helps you enjoy the food, slow down, and fill full!
  • sheilabennett
    Options
    Normally this would be an AWESOME challenge for me... But I won't be home tonight or tomorrow to eat, so i won't have that problem. However, I am going to make this a monthly challenge for me, and try to go without eating in front of the computer (my tv) for the month of March.

Good luck ladies!
  • singer201
    Options
    Yes, my kitchen table is where I pile everything. When I had family at home, we ate at the table all the time, but now since there's just me, my first meal of the day is in front of the computer and the last (late night after work) is in front of the TV. I do sit at an actual table with other people for my main meal at work. This challenge will take some habit-breaking. The other night (off work), I did set a small table (though still in front of the TV) with a plate of salad, plate of fruit, and my entree, plus a cup of tea.

Snowy and icy today, so exercise will be sweeping snow off the driveway instead of walking.

You're right, drinking water has become much easier. I've been over the minimum by a couple of glasses the last two days.
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Same here with my kitchen table, I wish it wasn't so. My son has a little table in the living room he eats at and then I usually eat on the couch, and my boyfriend eats at his computer behind me. We're still in the same room but spread out, lol. We need to be eating at the table!!!
  • oliviawink
    Options
    My work day was crazy today, so I didn't heed this challenge for breakfast or lunch. I did both of those while working. I hate it and I do it all the time. My job is one that is easily 50hrs a week, but since I can no longer put in those hours with my baby, I end up cramming work in during "lunch" and "breakfast". And for dinner I eat alone during the week b/c my baby's in bed before I can get to dinner and hubby works nights. Oh the life of a working mom..... But I'm going to try today's challenge for dinner and see how it goes.

But I had a great sneaking in exercise this morning. I am in educational administration in a preschool program. I was covering a teacher today for her to get caught up on some things. When it was outside time a bunch of the kids and myself ran "races". Dang, 3-5 year olds can be FAST! It was great fun for me and them and helped up all work on our healthy habits. Inspired me to consider getting back into running races again soon. Maybe this summer I'll hit some 5ks...
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Hope everyone had a terrific day and was able to not munch while watching tv. I don't know what it is about watching tv that makes you want to eat. Maybe it's all the food commercials but I managed to not do that tonight:)) Great challenge Jessica!! We have had bad storms here tonight with tornado warnings. Got pretty rough for awhile but hopefully it's all passed. I think everyone is doing great with the water drinking....it makes such a huge difference! Also sounds like most of you are doing good on the exercise too and I think we are all having a learning experience. Ok for tomorrows challenge.

********FRIDAYS CHALLENGE********

Easy on the salt! I didn't really realize how much salt I was consuming daily until I started keeping up with a food diary. If you haven't already you can add sodium so you can track that. Salt causes our bodies to retain water and can inhibit weight loss resulting in weight gain. I checked today and the American Heart Association recommends no more than 2300 mg (1 tsp) a day or for middle aged persons-1500 mg or less. Listed are some high sodium foods: processed meats, bacon, sausage, ham, canned soups, potato chips, frozen dinner and cured meats. The best thing to do is just read labels. I'm amazed at how many food items contain salt. Diet sodas also contain quite a bit of salt. I think this can also be a huge benefit for us all so let's start cutting back on the salt and see if this doesn't increase our weight loss:) Have a great night ladies:)
  • oliviawink
    Options
    Today is going to be interesting for me. We have an all day meeting at my work with muffins provided for breakfast, a potluck for lunch and unhealthy snacks in the afternoon. GRAND TEMPTATIONS! Also, I'm supposed to join a friend for beers and aps after work. I'm going to do my very best to be balanced today; eat a little bit of fun stuff but also not go crazy. I know it's going to be hard (these work things always involve lots of chocolate and pretzels - killer combo!), but I'm going to tell myself that I have goals that I'm working toward and I need to be mindful to meet them.

Starting my day with a healthy bowl of oatmeal so I won't be hungry and tempted to indulge on muffins. And the potluck dish I brought is low cal, so I'm going o make that a priority at lunch.

Might skip workout tonite. I've done 14 days of workouts in a row and I'm damn sore. Think I need a recovery day.

This is also going to make it tough to watch the salt today, b/c I don't know what's in other people's food. All-in-all, I was surprised to see that I'm pretty good on salt. My one place where I get the most sodium is my daily diet coke, and with all the things I'm "giving up" right now, I'm just not willing to part with my 1 DC for the day.

Keep up your great work and resolve everyone. March is almost here and amazingly, the challenge is almost 1/2 over!
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Good luck with all those temptations today! When I was working for doctors there were so many temptations from drug reps bringing food in and from coworkers too...being at home I can regulate those temptations a little better!

About sodium, argh! My biggest enemy....I never even realized how much I was taking in until I started logging it. I also never realized how much was in frozen meals, like the Lean Cuisines I was eating all the time. I cut those out. Any kind of processed meat is way high in sodium too and I never noticed. Well now I do! It's often unavoidable but I'm working on it. I find myself watching it just as close as calories now.

My food diary got mixed reviews yesterday! Some said way to go, some said I wasn't being healthy. I went over on sodium and under on calories. I was sooo full from taco soup I made yesterday and everything else though.

Fluid retention runs rampant in my famiy...my mamaw had severe problems with it, sometimes having to go to the hospital to get drained! My aunts and uncles and me all have problems with ankle swelling. My mom has high blood pressure..her mom had several strokes.....kinda scary, I need to do something in my 30's to prevent these things.

Does anyone have any low sodium foods and recipes they would like to share? I would love to find out, I need some help on this.
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    I know Jessica, it is scary! I've been running on the high side with my blood pressure for years now (pre-hypertension) and now I know why. Geez I'm eating way too much sodium! I can't believe that cottage cheese has so much salt in it. Thought is was supposed to be good for you! I retain water really bad too and I'm definately going to keep an eye on this sodium. I'm sure this can have a huge effect on losing weight. Good luck to everyone and read those labels.
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    I know Jessica, it is scary! I've been running on the high side with my blood pressure for years now (pre-hypertension) and now I know why. Geez I'm eating way too much sodium! I can't believe that cottage cheese has so much salt in it. Thought is was supposed to be good for you! I retain water really bad too and I'm definately going to keep an eye on this sodium. I'm sure this can have a huge effect on losing weight. Good luck to everyone and read those labels.

My dads mom really struggled with sodium, it was sooo hard for her to not have any salt at all and now I see why, it's hard to live without it. Now that I am really looking at labels it's amazing to find out. I think anything with the word "cheese" in it has high sodium...and that is bad because I love cheese!
  • singer201
    Options
    Yeah, I was SHOCKED at how much sodium cottage cheese has. I was planning on using it as a reasonable fat, high protein food until I read the label. I guess I'll stick to Greek yogurt, but that's a little higher in sugars than I really want. After doing some reading, I've lowered my sodium counter to 1500 mg to warn me. It's hard to stay that low if you eat more than a couple of processed foods per day.

In the last two weeks, I have had only one prepared-meal food--Ivar's clam chowder (yummy, but packed with sodium). Other than bagels (only half at a time) and small portions of pastrami, all of my other food has been fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts and home-prepared meats. I can really tell the difference in my food diary. About the only way to really reduce sodium is to prepare most of your meals from whole fresh foods so you know what's going in them. It's a whole new way of thinking for me, but it's the way my mother cooked when I was a kid (long time ago, now)--nearly everything from scratch. About the only convenience food she used was Campbell's soup.

I have the pleasure of going to work in the afternoon and have no kids at home, so I have time in the mornings to eat a leisurely brunch, prepare a meal for work, and plan an after-work snack. I know it's harder for you who work daytime jobs and have kids to get ready in the mornings.

I have border-line high blood pressure, too, that I'm hoping will return to normal as I lose weight, become more fit, and eat better.

This is a great challenge group--you've made me consider AND make habit changes that are really GOOD for me. Thanks!
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    You are very welcome Singer and I know that cutting back the salt is great for everyone. I'm just amazed at the food items that contain salt. It's tricky because what seems to have the highest salt content is not salty tasting. I do cook most of my foods at home but canned veggies are loaded with salt too. Gosh what to do? I love fresh vegetables but hard to get this time of year. I grow a garden every year and can and freeze but they never do last long enough!! Cutting back on the sodium becomes more important as you get older but I think everyone should be aware of how much is in the foods we eat. I hardly ever eat anything processed, don't buy frozen dinners but still having a heck of a time keeping mine down. Now I know why my blood pressure is so high. Goodness! I read that drinking lots of water helps and also lots of potassium. Not sure how these react with the salt but supposed to compensate somehow. Good luck everyone......not doing so well with this challenge but it is something I'm going to be working on daily now:)