30 Day Challenge

Options

Replies

• singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Angela, can you get good frozen vegetables at your grocery stores? I shop at Costco, and their big bags of single and mixed vegetables are really good. They have peas, beans, corn (that's as good as my dad grew), combo of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots?, and a stir-fry combo. With just me in the house I can't use them up fast enough any more. Costco and Winco Foods are my main places to buy fresh fruits and vegetables at decent prices.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Singer, sure I can get good frozen veggies here. I've never checked labels on frozen, do they have added salt? Sure it would be better than canned vegs though even if they do. I'm going to start buying lower sodium everything. I even ate my baked potato while ago with no salt. I added 1 tsp of sour cream and didn't even notice that it wasn't salted. Anyone ever tried any salt substitutes?
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Singer, sure I can get good frozen veggies here. I've never checked labels on frozen, do they have added salt? Sure it would be better than canned vegs though even if they do. I'm going to start buying lower sodium everything. I even ate my baked potato while ago with no salt. I added 1 tsp of sour cream and didn't even notice that it wasn't salted. Anyone ever tried any salt substitutes?

My Mamaw used Ms. Dash all the time!
  • Can I jump in on 2-25-11 weighing in at 187. I'd like to be to 180 by March 14th! Thanks!
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Tomorrows challenge was suggested by someone and it's a good one!!

Now that we are on this weight loss journey, maybe food used to be your source of comfort. I know it was mine, sometimes it still is even though I'm trying to see food as fuel now.
    Anyways, instead of using food as a source of comfort, why don't we do something that has no calories! Pamper yourself! Tomorrow I want everyone to take 10 or more minutes to do something nice for yourself....take extra time in the shower, take a long bath, do your nails, give yourself a manicure, kick back and watch a movie you want to watch, get a haircut, whatever! Sometimes trying to lose weight can be stressful, so take some time out to take care of yourself!
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Can I jump in on 2-25-11 weighing in at 187. I'd like to be to 180 by March 14th! Thanks!

Sure! Weigh in days are Mondays and we have daily challenges everyday!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just went googling salt substitutes. Most are Potassium Chloride (KCl) or a combo of sodium chloride (NaCl) and KCl. Tastewise, KCl turns bitter if heated, so doesn't work so well for cooking. The articles I read said it's ok to use sparingly if you don't have kidney disease or use medication (even NSAIDs) that affects how potassium is excreted from the body. Excessive serum potassium can KILL you by causing cardiac arrhythmia or arrest, and use of salt substitutes has been implicated in some cases where people had underlying kidney disease. Most articles said "wean yourself from excessive salt use" as the safest course.

I'm going to treat myself to a new pair of walking shoes tomorrow.

Today, I ran out of time for a regular walk, so I hoofed it from Costco to Trader Joe's in the sunshine instead of driving to get some exercise in.
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Thanks for the info Singer....I figured there was a downside to salt substitutes. Guess I'll just cut back.

I had a sweet craving earlier and searched online for a low calorie cookie recipe. It was for Oatmeal Raisin cookies. Well I followed the recipe to the T, all healthy ingredients, such as applesauce, honey, wheat flour, etc. I was so pumped about a healthy cookie. Well they tasted like sugarless granola bars....Yuck! Now I know why they were called "diet oatmeal cookies". You will not eat more than one....more like one bite~ I won't share this recipe!

I love tomorrows challenge Jessica. We have all been working hard and deserve a pamper day!! Enjoy everyone:)
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Thanks for the info Singer....I figured there was a downside to salt substitutes. Guess I'll just cut back.

I had a sweet craving earlier and searched online for a low calorie cookie recipe. It was for Oatmeal Raisin cookies. Well I followed the recipe to the T, all healthy ingredients, such as applesauce, honey, wheat flour, etc. I was so pumped about a healthy cookie. Well they tasted like sugarless granola bars....Yuck! Now I know why they were called "diet oatmeal cookies". You will not eat more than one....more like one bite~ I won't share this recipe!

I love tomorrows challenge Jessica. We have all been working hard and deserve a pamper day!! Enjoy everyone:)

Thanks for the info Singer! Seems like cutting back is the best thing! I wish your cookies would have turned out great, I'm sorry. I'm going to look through my Biggest Loser cookbook and maybe post some recipes for desserts that they have in there. Maybe we'll find something sweet and good tasting yet!

I thought since tomorrow is Saturday the challenge would be fitting, even if some of you have to work then that's all the more reason to pamper yourself afterwards!
  • swtchrypie
    Options
    Jessica~ thanks for the artilcle! It was really good!!!

Last night we had company over and they made enchilladas (mexican is my achilles heal) then my husband bought me soda so need less to sayI kinda over did it a little. But today Im going to hit the pavement HARD! I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!!!!! pamper yourself!!!
  • jessicamarie81
    Options

Last night we had company over and they made enchilladas (mexican is my achilles heal) then my husband bought me soda so need less to sayI kinda over did it a little. But today Im going to hit the pavement HARD! I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!!!!! pamper yourself!!!

I thought it was worth a read, had a lot of good facts to keep us motivated :)

I love mexican so much too! I'm planning my calorie count for lunch as we speak, we're having tacos here and I love to make a taco salad, I'm going to see how it all adds up, not too bad, just the sodium, argh! An occasional soda is not going to break you either :) Men just don't understand do they? Mine bought Reeses Cups and another kind of candy bar last night and now they are sitting around looking at me! I just ignore them and munch on my Fiber One bars, lol.
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Hello all, I had to make a new thread because this one only goes to 20 pages, here is the new link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/181825-30-day-challenge-part-2

See ya there!
  • swtchrypie
    Options

I thought it was worth a read, had a lot of good facts to keep us motivated :)

I love mexican so much too! I'm planning my calorie count for lunch as we speak, we're having tacos here and I love to make a taco salad, I'm going to see how it all adds up, not too bad, just the sodium, argh! An occasional soda is not going to break you either :) Men just don't understand do they? Mine bought Reeses Cups and another kind of candy bar last night and now they are sitting around looking at me! I just ignore them and munch on my Fiber One bars, lol.

I put my hubby on here to see what his calorie count is and its like 2200 and some days he doesnt even touch it so he can eat candy and not see any effect. AHH! makes me so mad :) How do you make your tacos? I am not sure how they made the enchilladas but I am sure theres a lot of "sneaky" stuff that adds up in em. Before I had dinner I had 1100 cals left for the day and when I weighed myself this morning I gained 1.6lbs from the day before. hmmm haha. its ok though.
    I hid the candy out of sight out of mind! I love some fiber one bars though I am SO adding them to my grocery list! nummy!
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    I think I replied to old thread so getting ready to post on the new one so I can find it later on..........Have a great day everyone:)
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused... are we going to the other thread right now, or using this one until space runs out? I think the threads go until there are 500 posts, and we have about 400 right now.

Anyway, as far as today's challenge goes, I'm having a relaxing day. I do have to get some studying in, though, so I'm saving my pampering for a few days. I made an appointment for a massage on Monday, and I have a couple of other beauty appointments early next week. I've been meaning to schedule these, so I'm thankful for the reminder! I'm definitely looking forward to the massage because I've been kind of stressed lately, and I can feel it in my back :(.
  • lesleed
    lesleed Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, after a week of funeral "stuff", too much family and food (why do people bring SO MUCH GOOD FOOD :) when someone dies?) I am back. We needed a change of scenery so took off for the beach for the week. Good news is that there is a gym right here for me to keep working out. Bad news is there is no scale. I am gonna see if I can find one for the weigh in tomorrow. Good job to everyone who has been working so hard this week! I sure hope I can get right back into it!
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, after a week of funeral "stuff", too much family and food (why do people bring SO MUCH GOOD FOOD :) when someone dies?) I am back. We needed a change of scenery so took off for the beach for the week. Good news is that there is a gym right here for me to keep working out. Bad news is there is no scale. I am gonna see if I can find one for the weigh in tomorrow. Good job to everyone who has been working so hard this week! I sure hope I can get right back into it!

Don't worry - take one day at a time and you'll be back in it! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Saturday's challenge - pamper yourself - I went shopping; the first time since starting the challenge. And I found slacks a size smaller! YEAH!!! It was a good feeling but I've got a lot of work still to do.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever tried any salt substitutes?

I'm "back" just coming off of the stomach flu. Didn't log cals yesterday, but I'm pretty positive I'm negative given that I didn't keep anything down until 7pm.

There's is an amazing salt substitute called Bragg's liquid amino. Its (obviously) in liquid form, but works great. you can get it at health food/organic stores (whole foods, sunflower etc). I can get it at my local safeway, but I also live in Boulder, mecca for "healthy eating" Also, their apple cider vinegar is amazing. Best ever. It's got live yeast and it makes it so much tastier and healthier, and has much less salt than conventional vinegars.