Starvation Mode is Real, and ugly

Options

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you'll be recover.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Russell, thanks very much for your post. I think my metabolic rate must be in the negatives-- nothing is budging.

But, it's not going back on, either, with the extra calories-- so I know I'm onto something. 1.5 pounds up in 4 weeks of extra calories, with hormonal times around the corner, and extra sodium in my quiche (by accident) is actually very, very encouraging.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this Marla. I will definitely pass this important info to those that beat themselves up for going 15 cals over or trying to stay as close to their daily cals as possible. I have to say, I was one of those idiots but nomore!

~Jo:flowerforyou:
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Russell, thanks very much for your post. I think my metabolic rate must be in the negatives-- nothing is budging.

But, it's not going back on, either, with the extra calories-- so I know I'm onto something. 1.5 pounds up in 4 weeks of extra calories, with hormonal times around the corner, and extra sodium in my quiche (by accident) is actually very, very encouraging.

There are studies being done now on over-feeding and thyroid production. Over-eating does work because your bod has to metabolize every calorie you eat. Also it helps bring up your leptin levels.

You can do it!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    You're a strong person Marla. I went through the same type of thing (undiagnosed, of course) my first year on MFP and almost gave up. Was at the gym 4-5 times a week, sticking within 50 cals of my goal daily and meticulous about eating the right kinds of things and ended up stuck and gaining. Finally upped my cals quite a bit from what I was taking in and have finally started to inch my way down again. :flowerforyou:
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an amazing story...thank you so much for sharing with all of us!
    This has me thinking a lot now....did MFP say to be at 1400 calories a day? Because they told me to have 1430/day and I've been sticking with that (and usually not eating back all of my exercise cals for the most part)...now I'm worried about something similar happening...
  • Marla64
    Options
    I think MFP is a great tool. I love the site. I don't think their formula is the wisest.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I got my current information here. I'm now making a slight deficit-- my body right now supposedly needs 2500 for my activity level, et cetera-- and I'm eating 2100-2200. Much better than the 1200 calorie deficit I was putting my body through.

No freaking wonder my body rebelled.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is a great tool. I love the site. I don't think their formula is the wisest.

I got my current information here. I'm now making a slight deficit-- my body right now supposedly needs 2500 for my activity level, et cetera-- and I'm eating 2100-2200. Much better than the 1200 calorie deficit I was putting my body through.

Curious what MFP's maintenance was for you - with an active or very active setting? 9 kids alone has to put you there. :laugh:
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    Thank you for sharing with us...wishing you the best :flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you have worked so hard, only to discover you were starving yourself :frown: I really think you will turn it around though! You seem like the type who has the willpower, that's for sure. Good luck! I hope your body gives ya break and your metabolism returns to normal very soon. BTW, very well written post :love:
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    This is a very informative post...

It's just shook me out of feeling sorry for myself, for only losing 1 lb this week.... and made me realise that I just should be happy that I'm still losing....

plus I'm replying, so I can share this with a friend who is slowly coming to terms with what the negative effects are from eating too little calories....

Thanks...
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    Thank you so much for this!
  • Marla64
    Options

Curious what MFP's maintenance was for you - with an active or very active setting? 9 kids alone has to put you there. :laugh:

At 164, it would have me at 2220 for maintenance, 2470 right now at 200 pounds.

I never had myself at a very active setting, though, because I have a typing job and spend a portion of my day on my fanny. I'm seeing your point, whether you meant it or not, that MFP's settings might be more accurate than I thought-- I just didn't have myself at the right activity level.
  • Marla64
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you have worked so hard, only to discover you were starving yourself :frown: I really think you will turn it around though! You seem like the type who has the willpower, that's for sure. Good luck! I hope your body gives ya break and your metabolism returns to normal very soon. BTW, very well written post :love:

thank you!
  • Marla64
    Options
    This is a very informative post...

It's just shook me out of feeling sorry for myself, for only losing 1 lb this week.... and made me realise that I just should be happy that I'm still losing....

plus I'm replying, so I can share this with a friend who is slowly coming to terms with what the negative effects are from eating too little calories....

Thanks...

Yes, please share it-- there is so much misinformation out there, and people not eating enough. I know it goes against the grain of what we always have thought was proper, but again, I'm living proof that what we have thought was right, isn't.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Major victory at the moment-- I have never been able to run in the sunlight since beginning my weight loss journey.

I got to thinking the other day that perhaps the reason I wilt so flippin' fast in the sun, no matter the temperature, is because I haven't been receiving the proper nutrition.

I just ran 2 and a quarter miles, bright blue sky, bright sun shining. 45 degrees. Light jacket. (I'd rather hoped the run was longer-- I was a bit discouraged when I mapped it upon my return-- but, oh well-- )

Last year I would have wilted. My friends all know I "can't" run in the daylight.

I did it!!! And I came home and had a protein shake to replenish.

There's something to this proper nutrition stuff-- woo-hoooooo!!!!!!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

I never had myself at a very active setting, though, because I have a typing job and spend a portion of my day on my fanny. I'm seeing your point, whether you meant it or not, that MFP's settings might be more accurate than I thought-- I just didn't have myself at the right activity level.

Yeah, I understand activity level can be tricky. But honestly, even with a typing job, I really would think that the activity with the kids (I only have one and he wears me the hell out lol), and the running you do, would be at least active. Because even though you enter exercise separately, it seems to me that some women in your circumstances (with several kids and a high exercise level) often underestimate what they actually do on a daily basis (modesty is a virtue, but can be a problem in this case :tongue: )

I don't recall seeing it in the thread anywhere - have you thought about having BMR tested? I would think that could be really helpful for you. For you, at least, BMR and where your settings are at could be particularly problematic. You have several things going on that could either lower or raise BMR - and finding out which end of the scale you're on could at least get the basics on point. I don't know that it's important for a lot of people, but in your situation, it could be. Just a thought.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    So proud of you! Running in the daytime is a HUGE victory for you!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this! A lot really thonk fewer calories is better but your story tells them the truth
  • Marla64
    Options

Yeah, I understand activity level can be tricky. But honestly, even with a typing job, I really would think that the activity with the kids (I only have one and he wears me the hell out lol), and the running you do, would be at least active. Because even though you enter exercise separately, it seems to me that some women in your circumstances (with several kids and a high exercise level) often underestimate what they actually do on a daily basis (modesty is a virtue, but can be a problem in this case :tongue: )

I don't recall seeing it in the thread anywhere - have you thought about having BMR tested? I would think that could be really helpful for you. For you, at least, BMR and where your settings are at could be particularly problematic. You have several things going on that could either lower or raise BMR - and finding out which end of the scale you're on could at least get the basics on point. I don't know that it's important for a lot of people, but in your situation, it could be. Just a thought.

Yes, modesty in this case can be a problem-- I always had myself at "moderate."

I don't know how to have BMR tested. 'splain.