Starvation Mode is Real, and ugly

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    So proud of you! Running in the daytime is a HUGE victory for you!

I Know!! Thanks, Sara-- I'm stoked right now!!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Yes, modesty in this case can be a problem-- I always had myself at "moderate."

I don't know how to have BMR tested. 'splain.

They often offer RMR (similar to BMR) testing at gyms (don't usually have to be a member), or you can check with your doc. Basically just gives you a much more accurate estimate of your BMR. In your situation, you may not be "average" - so you might be outside the curve that most BMR calculators cover. I think it usually costs around $100. If you do a search on "RMR test" for your area, you could probably find some places that do it.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I've seen other people talk about it on here & if memory serves correctly, Registered Dieticians can also test for it. I'd like to look into it for myself, actually. Wanna go together, Marla? :drinker: Find some place in PA. :laugh:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I've seen other people talk about it on here & if memory serves correctly, Registered Dieticians can also test for it. I'd like to look into it for myself, actually. Wanna go together, Marla? :drinker: Find some place in PA. :laugh:

Yeah, I would assume most RDs have the capability.
  • Marla64
    Options

Actually, I think I heard of one in the Bahamas!!! Whaddyasay?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

marla pm me the town you live in in PA, I'll look up bod pods and hydrostatic testing for you. they aren't super expensive (usually fifty bucks or so), and you'll get your body fat, TDEE, and a few other very useful numbers from them.
  • Marla64
    Options

marla pm me the town you live in in PA, I'll look up bod pods and hydrostatic testing for you. they aren't super expensive (usually fifty bucks or so), and you'll get your body fat, TDEE, and a few other very useful numbers from them.

Done--

Thanks!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Major victory at the moment-- I have never been able to run in the sunlight since beginning my weight loss journey.

I got to thinking the other day that perhaps the reason I wilt so flippin' fast in the sun, no matter the temperature, is because I haven't been receiving the proper nutrition.

I just ran 2 and a quarter miles, bright blue sky, bright sun shining. 45 degrees. Light jacket. (I'd rather hoped the run was longer-- I was a bit discouraged when I mapped it upon my return-- but, oh well-- )

Last year I would have wilted. My friends all know I "can't" run in the daylight.

I did it!!! And I came home and had a protein shake to replenish.

There's something to this proper nutrition stuff-- woo-hoooooo!!!!!!!

Holy crap - starvation mode turned you into a vampire? Now I have heard it all....

Where you supplementing to any degree while on your low cal / high exercise binge? Perhaps a multivitamin?

If not it could be a magnesium deficiency leading to light sensitivity which has now been remedied through diet. Where you having headaches as well?
  • Marla64
    Options
    Major victory at the moment-- I have never been able to run in the sunlight since beginning my weight loss journey.

I got to thinking the other day that perhaps the reason I wilt so flippin' fast in the sun, no matter the temperature, is because I haven't been receiving the proper nutrition.

I just ran 2 and a quarter miles, bright blue sky, bright sun shining. 45 degrees. Light jacket. (I'd rather hoped the run was longer-- I was a bit discouraged when I mapped it upon my return-- but, oh well-- )

Last year I would have wilted. My friends all know I "can't" run in the daylight.

Holy crap - starvation mode turned you into a vampire? Now I have heard it all....

Where you supplementing to any degree while on your low cal / high exercise binge? Perhaps a multivitamin?

If not it could be a magnesium deficiency leading to light sensitivity which has now been remedied through diet. Where you having headaches as well?

A vampire?? maybe that's why I hate garlic! :wink:

Actually the issue was basically just overheating. I'd get one mile into a run, and just die. I could run at dusk, as the sun was setting. But, anything when the sun was casting a shadow would just totally wipe me out. I couldn't run another step.

Multi-vite? :embarassed: Much to my husband's frustration, not with any responsible regularity. He gets so mad at me.

No headaches.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options

OK...the vampire thing had me cracking up!! But seriously Marla, CONGRATULATIONS!!! God always takes our sufferings and uses them! He is certainly using this really difficult situation for you and blessing so many other people! Huge thumbs up!!

Donna
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    A vampire?? maybe that's why I hate garlic! :wink:

Actually the issue was basically just overheating. I'd get one mile into a run, and just die. I could run at dusk, as the sun was setting. But, anything when the sun was casting a shadow would just totally wipe me out. I couldn't run another step.

Multi-vite? :embarassed: Much to my husband's frustration, not with any responsible regularity. He gets so mad at me.

No headaches.

You hate garlic? Damn, my life wouldn't be worth living without it but then I am more wolf than bat ;)

Well I am glad a) that it isn't a magnesium deficiency and b) you get to experience the pleasure of running outside with the sun in your face and the wind in your hair. The world is a wonderous place and over and above the way we look experiencing things like that make life such a joy.

Re: a mult vitamin. It's a good insurance policy but I don't think strictly necessary. If you eat a good, healthy diet then you will probably have the bases covered already.
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Done--

Thanks!

You promised me Bahamas! :sad:
  • Marla64
    Options

Done--

Thanks!

You promised me Bahamas! :sad:

snapoutofit.gif

Uh, I mean-- consoling2.gif
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    :laugh: I like the hug, but I'm confused by the physical abuse. You never cease to amaze me, Marla. :wink: Have a great night!
  • Marla64
    Options
    :laugh: I like the hug, but I'm confused by the physical abuse. You never cease to amaze me, Marla. :wink: Have a great night!

I'm a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

maybe that's why I'm so fat??
  • lpummell73
    lpummell73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wow...thanks for the info!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Don't make me come over there, young lady! *hugs*
  • Marla64
    Options
    Really, really struggling today-- have no idea what's going on.

No change in weight, but the bloating is unbelievably out of control. I can't fit into any of my pants. Every cell seems to be positively overloaded with water and fat--

It always seems worse the days after I exercise-- anybody have thoughts on that? I'm looking positively, woefully rotund today in my stretchy pants and all-covering hoody.

Very sad in New Jersey this day-- can't look in the mirror without sobbing. I need to get a grip.

I've worked so hard. I've never stopped. I've done all the "right" things. This just freaking sucks.
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    BUMP ! .. this brought me back to my senses ..I wish you all the best hun, hope you get back to your healthy self
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    this is what i keep telling people. dont sweat it if you go over on a few days so long as when you switch the setting to maintenance level you have not gone over that you wont put on weight, but if you eat to few calories you will store what little you do eat. to many people get obsessed with "oh no i cant have' AND DOING TOO MUCH EXCERCISE AND NOT EATING THE BURNED CALORIES WILL MAKE YOU GO INTO STARVATION MODE.. slow and steady keep it off, is the best way, we didn get big overnight no way we will lose it that way