Hiking/Photography

Options

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Morning folks...thought you might find this interesting, an article on 'Cloud Collecting'...there's a teaser slide show too.
    Enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/science/29clouds.html?ref=science
    That's so cool, Loopy. Lol. Love it!
  • Sam_Hain
    Sam_Hain Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lmao, the squirrel butts were cute (well, as cute as a fuzzy butt can be!) but really not what I was trying to get in the shot!
    I did manage a couple of awesome shots that I was pretty happy with, though so I won't complain about the butts too much, lol.

I have a fuzzy butt... *poses for the camera*
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Surprised no one has mentioned the Kalalau Trail on Kauai as a fav hike yet. Gorgeous 12mi trail where you can get amazing photos of the Na Pali coast.

I love all types of photography but I seem to have the most fun doing underwater photography/video. Following a majestic sea turtle or trying to snap a decent shot of a darting fish or eel just makes me smile from ear to ear:happy: ...which then causes me to choke on the rush of water:ohwell:
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi have been reading this thread I am from UK and love walking, hiking etc our favorite area to walk is the 3 peaks area in the Yorkshire Dales
    Day1035.jpg
    Whernside007.jpg
    NorthYorks006.jpg
  • BlindFaith
    Options
    I have a fuzzy butt... *poses for the camera*

OVERSHARE :laugh:

Are we talking like peach fuzz or full on Yeti? :tongue:
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    OVERSHARE :laugh:

Are we talking like peach fuzz or full on Yeti? :tongue:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    Hi have been reading this thread I am from UK and love walking, hiking etc our favorite area to walk is the 3 peaks area in the Yorkshire Dales
    Those are beautiful!
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    Surprised no one has mentioned the Kalalau Trail on Kauai as a fav hike yet. Gorgeous 12mi trail where you can get amazing photos of the Na Pali coast.

I love all types of photography but I seem to have the most fun doing underwater photography/video. Following a majestic sea turtle or trying to snap a decent shot of a darting fish or eel just makes me smile from ear to ear:happy: ...which then causes me to choke on the rush of water:ohwell:
    Haven't been there as of yet (big *fingers crossed* on the "yet"), but it sounds amazing.

Lol. Haven't been underwater with my camera either. I'm too paranoid to trust any of the cases and too far away from any real coast to justify trying to get a real underwater camera. :laugh:
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I love hiking, one of my favorite things to do. I live in a really small mountain town in Colorado, so I have tons of places I like to hike. Around this time of year I always start getting antsy for the snow to start melting so I can go play in the mountains. I have also been in love with photography for as long as I can remember (www.sunflowerstudiophotography.com). I am a camera snob and only use nikon cameras! Right now I have a nikon D40, would like to upgrade eventually, but I do love my camera :smile:
  • robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta, so my favourite place to hike around is in Kananaskis if I'm looking for scenery, or in Canmore if I'm looking for some vertical. Bragg Creek is good for caving if that's what you're into!
    I'm still relatively new to the mountains, so I'm planning on checking out Lake Louise and Banff area this summer.

Photography-wise, I'm an outdoors-y "bring my camera along" type of photographer. I'm not the most hardcore photographer, but I love to capture that great shot!
    Edit: I shoot with a Rebel XSi cuz I'm a canon-junkie :)
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    <----Canon junkie too, since I bought my first Rebel in '95? Lol.
  • vmisslin
    vmisslin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You folks notice there are some things (landscapes in particular) that you can be the worst photographer in the world and the pics you take are just fantastic just because thing you are taking the pic of is just that gorgeous?

I'll have to get some Alaska pics up that I took with a Sony Cybershot WAY before I knew anything about photography.

Sometimes you get lucky and the shots create themselves - sometimes you find a setting you can work with by accident. I found that just reading the manual for my CyberShot made those "sometimes" moments happen a lot more often!

Now I have a D5000 and I still turn to the CyberShot for some things, but I'm trying to learn everything the DSLR can teach me. Manual/manual....those "sometimes" moments are often SO close, but so frustratingly hard to get! Generally I'm a macro person - love the little things way close up - but I like stills and my dogs and some people and landscapes too (my tracker is a recent shot from a trip to San Fran to see my sister! Pretty sure it came from my Droid, actually...).

So far I've only hiked around the lake by my place, and a little around the Chesapeake Bay area - hopefully that gets expanded this summer!
  • Sam_Hain
    Options
    Lesson Learned: Don't forget the stroller when you have a 4 yo and a 2 yo when you got to Yosemite.

Have to go through my pictures still and process them. Hoping to have them up on my deviant art page by the end of the week.

A special thanks to Kityn for helping me carry the babies on the 4 mile total hike to see "big trees".
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    A special thanks to Kityn for helping me carry the babies on the 4 mile total hike to see "big trees".

*smooch* Least I could do after convincing you we HAD TO see the big trees. :wink:
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

*smooch* Least I could do after convincing you we HAD TO see the big trees. :wink:

awwwww
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    awwwww
    Ridiculous. I know. Can't help it. :tongue:
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new here but love to hike. I live in mountains in WA state. We camped in Glacier park in Montana last summer and drove to Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise area. Did short hikes as we took grand kids.

kityngirl I have done the trail in Kauai you are talking about but only to the water fall which is about 4 miles in but great hike. We usually just go to the beach which is 2 miles in. Last time it started to rain at the beach and we thought oh it will stop in ten minutes...NOT...we hiked in pouring rain and mud to waterfall for miles...will never forget that hike and how good the drinks felt after!!!! lol

We own a every other year timeshare in Kauai for the last 10 yrs that is why we go there a lot. This is my year off and we went to New Orleans for anniversary so boss says no more trips for me this year!!!

Yesterday we hiked to top of Icicle Ridge in my area, you can see all over the valley as you climb higher. But in the past (14 yrs ago) I lived with my daughter when she was in high school near Yosemite and I hiked to top of Half Dome, that is my most courageous hike for me!
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    But in the past (14 yrs ago) I lived with my daughter when she was in high school near Yosemite and I hiked to top of Half Dome, that is my most courageous hike for me!

*jealous* I can't wait to get back and be able to do some of the more difficult hikes. I really want to do the Dome and the upper Yosemite falls, plus get up to Tuolumne Meadows area at Yosemite. The Dome and Meadows were still closed due to snow last week. Going to try to plan an early June trip sometime in the future so the waterfalls will still be flowing but all of the areas would be open. :happy:
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    June is a great time to go to Yosemite or May the falls are at their fullest. Just be careful if any patches of snow left if you go early on the many steps, they get real slippery and on the way to Vernal fall which is on the trail to the dome it is slippery and misty in early spring and you can get very wet.
  • Sam_Hain
    Options
    I may go back to Yosemite solo in June or try to find someone around here willing to go with me. Don't really have the vacation time for it though...