Insults

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what the worst insult that you have been given was?

For me the ones that are the most difficult are the ones that are just below the belt.

My inspiration was today, I was watching the Biggest Loser UK and my other half said 'I can't believe the crap you make me watch, if I wanted to watch fat people work out, I would just follow you when you go to Zumba class.'

Nice.

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Oh wow thats really really messed up.If my husband had said that to me I would have given him a swift kick below the belt.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Ugh. Sorry about that. One insult my hubby gave me was back when I wouldn't share my weight with him and he was talking about some "fat woman" at work. He guessed her weight at a weight that was really close to mine at the time. I was completely insulted but couldn't even tell him because I didn't want him to know what my weight was.
  • Rebeccamoore
    Rebeccamoore Posts: 21 Member
    I hope you slapped him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been called thunder thighs before which really upset me. I know insults aren't very nice, but insults always inspire me to carry on! (after the shock of what someone has said has passed!) Does anyone else feel the same? You can do it! Keep up the good work and he'll eat his words when you get to goal! :flowerforyou:
  • mine was from my dad. I have a lot of cousins and in the summer we would all go to my Grandmother's house on a lake. We were all out there swimming and my dad came up to me (i was like 10) and whispered in my ear, "you're the fattest one here" and swam away.
    Thanks A-hat!
    Funny though because the other day I went to the DR to talk weight and my parents were watching my son while I was gone. I came home and was talking to my mom about what the DR said and my dad was like "you were too skinny" (referring to right before I got pregnant)
  • FearAnLoathing
    No body thats mattered to me has ever said anything like that to me,ive ben called fat *kitten* by people I dont know but never a loved one.
  • Sounds like he was in the running for worst Father in the lake.
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what the worst insult that you have been given was?

For me the ones that are the most difficult are the ones that are just below the belt.

My inspiration was today, I was watching the Biggest Loser UK and my other half said 'I can't believe the crap you make me watch, if I wanted to watch fat people work out, I would just follow you when you go to Zumba class.'

Nice.
    I would put put on a sex ban for that comment, what a terrible thing to say.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I have never experienced insults relating to my physique, but an acquaintance has been asked a few times "when is it due?" when she isn't pregnant. The people who say this are usually old ladies who say so very innocently and don't mean to insult.
  • My other half constantly comes out with insults! (dunno if he realises or not!) Last one was when i was wearing a corset :blushing: and i took it off and he said "wow that really sucked you in!" To say the least i wasnt impressed!

My dad constantly tells me in fat and need to lose weight which is why i havent seen him in a year!

To be honest i just ignore them anyway as its whats in my head most of the time!
  • My dad was much the same - always made it known to me when I was a child that I was too fat, and said I should just live on lettuce for a while so I could be normal - this was when I was age 7 or so. He always brought me a Terry's Chocolate Orange when he visited (he didn't live with my mum) - talk about mixed messages. And the odd thing is that when I look back at photos, I was FINE. Not a little gangly stick like some kids, but still absolutely fine.

My brother at xmas was taking a pic of me, and said 'wait a minute I'll just zoom out. Not because you're so fat or anything though'. I genuinely think he didn't mean it like that but I think of it every day and it spurs me on . Next xmas he'll have to zoom in, I'll be soooo tiny!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    owie. hearing these stories hurts my heart for you. :(
  • That's very mean of your other half to say.

The worst insult I ever had and I still carry around with me everyday is:

"Why are you even bothering to lose to weight again, you know you will gain it all back anyway"

That was said to me by a so-called friend. To this day whenever I drop a few pounds, I sigh and tell myself what's the point and head for the fridge. I have been fighting this battle of the insult for 4 years now. :(

Whoever said "sticks and stones will break my bones, by words will never hurt me" were so wrong. Physical wounds heal, emotional wounds you carry forever.

Try not to be like me and let those words get you down. Go to Zumba kick some butt, lose the weight and rock on girl!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • FearAnLoathing
    Wow I dont get how some parents can say things to thier children like the things ive heard on this site.It crap like that that causes eating disorders or at the very least low self esteem.
    My dad used to say some pretty messed up things to me as a child not about weight diffrent stuff and I know it greatly affected me.
    I tell my kids everyday they are beautiful wonderfull perfect
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Oh my gosh.. I am sorry that you have to hear something like that from your own hubby... that really sucks..
    My ex said to me one day... notice EX... that if I ever hit 200 lbs he would leave... well I hit 200 + and he never left.. but I did still kick his *kitten* to the curb.. I will not tolerate negative people in my life.. He supports me now more than ever before... well he can suck up.. I still aint taking him back!! LOL
    We only talk cause he is the father of my son.. otherwise I wouldnt
    Just remember you are beautiful .. and Yes... I would give him a good kick below the belt for saying that to you!! The nerve of some people!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    My parents ( mainly my father) would tell me "If you lose weight, you would be beautiful." I have heard this since I was about nine.
  • BrightonChick
    BrightonChick Posts: 48 Member
    I was out at the pub with a girlfriend watching the Rugby when we got chatting to a few lads. One of the lads asked where we were from, my friend answered ''Cornwall, where the best pastries are made'' The lads replied ''And I can see your mate eats them all''

Usually this stuff would not bother me but I was stung bad at this comment, and all of the bullies comments when I was through high school came flooding back. Arrogant B*stard!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    People can be so cruel and shallow but most of the time there is an underlying insecurtiy within themselves that makes them be that way.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    You know seeing these insults and how rude some people are makes me appreciate my friends and family alot more. I dont get overly praised for what I have done but I also didnt get the negative that some of you have have. It really makes a person think.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    To be fair, there are a lot of fat people at zumba classes. he may not have been refering to you. Dont forget, us guys put on weight mainly because we keep eating our feet, but also lose it by digging those holes :D

My mates always called me out about my weight, but it was pretty light hearted. now my best man who always gave me crap is bigger than me, so i just tell him i was a trend setter.

as crap as it is, i think chicks cop it a lot more for being overweight than us guys. but take the good side from it all, if people didnt throw those insults out there, you may never have become inspired enought to do something about it.
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Hi
    Sorry to hear your boyfriend is so insensitive..............thats men for you!!

Mine was when I was going to my brothers 40th birthday do and I asked if my
    outfit was ok and my dad said I looked fat!!! OMG I knew I looked fat
    but just wanted to know if my outfit was suitable!!!

Good luck with your journey!!
    xx:smile: