Mostly for the ladies but men can answer to

Options

Replies

• valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    5'7", 157 pounds, wear US size 10 pants and jeans usually but a 12 sometimes (never never an 8 yet), med or large tops unless it's some kinda crazy drapey top with lots of extra room for my sizable stomach (I have 2 or 3 smalls in my vast closet). Dresses are hard for me to fit, even though I absolutely love buying and wearing them, because my shoulders/boobs and legs are both way smaller than my waist, but I usually land around a sz 10 there too.

Vanity sizing has gotten out of control--women's clothes are so much bigger than they used to be. I still have a couple of US sz 12 skirts and pants in my "goal box" from 5-10 years ago that are not even close to buttoning, so I am more like a 2001 size 14. Given that this has occurred, my goal size is smaller than it would have been. I would be really happy to know that any US sz 8 at any store would always fit, and sometimes get into a US sz 6, with medium and small tops. That's what I'm aiming for. I have no desire to ever return to a juniors department, because I am a grown woman--the cut is not right, even if you're skinny.

ETA have gone back and read all responses. It is truly stunning--that some people are wearing the same sizes as others weighing 50 lbs more or less. Just goes to show what a difference body shape makes, how different various makers' sizing is, and how differently people wear their clothes. (I can easily get an 8 buttoned, but it looks BAD and there is major muffin top so I would never say it fits me.) Now I would like to see us all in a room together to see how our pants fit. LOL
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing has gotten out of control--women's clothes are so much bigger than they used to be.

I totally agree but it seems to be an even bigger issue in the US than the UK and it's rife here!

I mean even with 2 sizes difference between US/UK sizes I'm still staggered by the weight-to-size-ratio of some of the examples here...
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    5'11, 136 lbs, size 4.
  • t1981
    t1981 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, and as of this morning 159 :) I still wear my 12 jeans, although most of them are getting loose. I can squeeze into a 10, but they're too tight to really wear yet.
  • mrscjwilson
    Options
    Im 5'7", 182 lbs, size 12 on top 14 on bottom.
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ladies, women's clothing size has no bearing on actual size. So please do not take it to heart. The sizes vary from clothing producer to producer. Also most in Hollywood are really short. Its more important to focus on how you feel in the clothes and in your life.

Don't worry about the arbitrary number on the pants but rather your actual body composition.

I can tell you as a man I can buy 2 pairs of jeans the exact same "measurements" from 2 different labels and they fit totally different. One will be tight and the other will be loose.
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    5"3 193 #'s I wear a size 14 in pants an L/XL in shirts
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 275 lbs(from US). I have like no hips and all gut, so I can wear 2x plus tops if they are stretchy for my belly, coats or anything fitted are 3x plus. on the bottom i can wear a size 24w if the pants are low rise, again because of my gut, but any other cut i have to go up to 26w to account for my gut. so basically, im excited to get rid of some of this gut! :)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and was a large size 14 at 180 lbs (some of my higher riding jeans were a little too tight at the waistband). Now I'm a small size 14 at just under 163 lbs (some of my lower riding jeans are a little too big at the waistband). Last night I managed to squeeze into a pair of 12s for the first time in a lot of years.

Okay I was just beginning to think I was like someone else because I am 5'6", was 184 and have worn a 14 for years. I am now about 167 and can easily wear a 12 and bought 2 pairs of size 10 dress pants at Talbots to wear to work until spring. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the 10's fit because they are a high waist style and my waist is larger than my hips proportionately. On most size charts my hips are an 8 or 10 but waist 14 or more. But there is a ltitle stretch. I wore the brown pair on Monday and black pair all day yesterday and they were very comfortable.

I do notice though since I eat better I don't get much bloating so I haven't encountered pants digging into my waist in a long time!

I hope to buy size 8 for my summer pants/shorts. My favorite stores are Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer and Talbots. Their clothes fit me well. I can now buy a size medium top at all those shops but am still wearing a lot of my size large tops even though they are kind of big on me.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    5'8"
    143 lbs.
    32"/30" Pants
  • me2point0
    me2point0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5"
    Current weight 218lbs
    Pants size 20
    Shirt Size XL
    Dress/Swimsuit Size 16
  • aimsypoo
    aimsypoo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10"....very "hippy" 178lbs...i can squeeze into a size 12 jeans from the Gap, but they are tight!!! 14's are much more comfy!
  • willrun4redvines
    Options
    5'5"
    currently 140
    loose size 6 pants(need a belt)
    small/medium tops.
    Depends on where I shop. Some places I fit into an 8.
  • kayelkay
    Options
    5'5
    143lbs
    size 4 or 6, depending on the brand
    usually a medium top (once again, depends on the brand)
  • sacfrazier
    Options
    I am 5'9" and about 180 pounds. I wear a US 16 and am a little bit upset that I have lost about 20 pounds now and still wearing the same size pants. Oh well. I guess I'll get there sooner or later. My problem is that my legs are huge compared to my waist, so I need larger pants to fit my legs and everything is HUGE in the waist.
  • sbranaghan
    sbranaghan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 1" I weigh 115 and I wear a size 4 in jeans
  • Sistre83
    Options
    I am 5' 7" and weigh 166. I prefer to wear a size 10 or 12 pant (I hate pants being anything but loose around my waist, NO MUFFIN TOPS HERE) although I can fit into an 8 and depending on the top wear from a small to XXL due to my size 34DD chest.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty curvy. I've always had a booty too, although it's slowly getting smaller/toned by my workout. I'm currently 157, 5'5" and wear a 10 right now.

I was 105 in college and wore a size 0 or 2. I was 130 (a much healthier weight on me) after graduating college and wore a 4/6. I'm hoping to get back to that weight. The only I think is difficult w/ celebrities is that we often see them on TV or in photos and it seriously does add 10lbs.

I will say though I do think you can be smaller yet weigh more, b/c of your lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat. : )
  • Maurey
    Maurey Posts: 44
    Options
    I am 5'10" and when i weighed around 190 lbs i wore size 14-15. i now weigh around 177 and as of this past week-end can fit into a pair of size 10 jeans.
  • maeghanalyson
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and currently 221 and wear a size 20. Now, I had twins 7 months ago and I weighed 224 before I got pregnant but my pant size was a 16! My hips got a whole lot wider. How long before they go back down or will they ever? lol I mean this was my third pregnancy but I never had such a dfference in my hips with the other two.