MFP's most common user pitfall to avoid

Options

Replies

• better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this! :love: Thanks for posting!
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    How to wrap your head around it. Hmm. Well first remember, muscle doesn't have to grow in actual size to be heavier. In other words the key to STRONG lean muscles that aren't bulky like a weight lifter is DENSITY. Muscles can grow stronger by becoming larger, or by just decreasing the space between muscle fibers.

think of muscle like this:
    Take a bunch of rubber bands, cut them so they are rubber strings instead. now hold them loosely between your two hands. THIS is essentially a muscle at rest. There are two ways to make this muscle stronger, add more bands to the outside, keeping the same number of bands in the middle, or shove more bands in the middle, it makes the whole string harder, but not wider, and even though it's the same size, it'll still be stronger (harder to stretch). This is exactly how muscles work.

when you make muscles denser, you're not actually shoving more muscle fibers to the middle, you're just making the fibers in there stronger without increasing the overall volume of the muscle. So that's how muscle can get heavier without getting bigger.
    This was AWESOME! What a great way to explain it :flowerforyou: Thank you so much for that! It clicked now!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This was an interesting post. The fact is, I have no idea what my "real" goal weight will be. I do have a number on the MFP ticker, but I think my overall goal this time around is to lose A LOT of body fat. I think my body fat is around 30% and that's high. A healthy weight for me (for my height) would be 173. BUT I still would be high in body fat (as I'm 14 pounds away from being a "regular" weight).

A personal trainer on a website I found said that women shouldn't have a body fat percentage lower than 15% and that's something I could very well shoot for and would mean losing 15% of my fat.

I guess I'm going in the right direction. :huh:

Actually that would be 50% of your fat and 50% of 30% is 15%., that would be more like losing 15% of your total body weight, but to lose 15% fat you will may have to lose more than 15% of your weight, as it is difficult to lose weight without losing some muscle.
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    Thanks. I probably need to rethink my goal weight... Too bad that the end of your ticker can't just say "Not squishy".

I know. I wish mine could say that also.....
  • Murdog
    Murdog Posts: 70
    Options
    This post is really what I've needed to see. Actually, it takes me back to Sept. 1997 when I graduated Marine Corps boot camp. The day before greaduation all the new Marines were getting on the scales to see how much weight they've lost. I saw many weigh 20-35 pounds less than when they first stepped onto those "yellow footprints" at Parris Island, SC. Then it was my turn. I had lost one (1) pound! 1 freakin' pound--that's it! I was way ticked off! :angry: But, then on graduation day my mom and my girlfriend (now my wife) picked me up and took me to their villa they were staying in. There, I changed into my civilian clothes I'd turned in at in-processing. My belt tightened up 5 notches!! 5!! Which told me that I was much leaner than I once was just 13 weeks prior.:happy:

This thread has helped me see my goals in a different light. I often think of having the body I had when I was in the military. But, I'm 41 now--not 27. And, I've neglected to feed my body what it needs by shoving junk in it.:grumble:

Seeing my goals in a different light, like instead of wanting to be the same weight I was at 18, I'd like to get into a pair of 34" waist Levis again; to be strong again... those are goals that I can deal with. Have a great Friday everybody.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    This is a slightly arbitrary target, but mid range for my height (5'). Whatever happens I want to be above 8 stone because this is the minimum weight to be able to donate blood. As a universal donor, that is important to me.

Off topic, but glad to know I'm not the only shortie out there who is keeping this in mind in losing weight. I have no desire to get below 110-115 (not that I'm even sure I could at this point!) because that is a perfectly appropriate weight for me and it is a weight I can still donate blood at.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    Thank you for that correction, erickirb. Math was never my strongest suit. :tongue:
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed your article very much. I don't want to weigh what I did in high school. Been too long ago for that. :-) Loosing a lb a wk sounds good to me. I've lost 8 lbs. since I saw my dr. He wants me to lose 10-15 lbs. by July so hopefully I'll be on maintenance by then.I have plenty of time to lose it.. I'm really surprised I've lost that much in the last month. You know sometimes when you get older it is harder to get it off. I love MFP for helping me. :)
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    don't get me started on post-pregnancy women and goals. The female body changes massively after child birth. Don't believe it when some pop star has a baby and says "I got my pre-baby body back." they didn't, they have a DIFFERENT body now, it can still be sexy, and healthy, and beautiful, but it'll never be what it was pre-baby. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

this makes me want to give you a hug. :o)
  • MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love your posts and this one is no exception! Like many others, I really needed to hear this because I get stuck on the stupid numbers, too. I am at a healthy weight and can tell by how my clothes fit that I am losing inches even when I am not losing weight. I've never had a bad fat test but feel that this is what I need to pay attention to. What is my HRM telling me when it gives me a fat burned % with my calories burned after a workout? I am definitely eating better and am certainly healthier than I was after high school. Feels good to say that since my 25 year reunion is next summer. :smile:

Keep posting - such great truths that we need to be reminded of! Have a super weekend everyone.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You are exactly correct.
  • spiritgirl
    Options
    Wise words well spoken, Thank you for this post.
  • dawn454
    dawn454 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    what a great post, puts it all in a much more realistic perspective.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This makes so much sense, and I'm glad to see all the people getting on board. In the past several weeks since I've been using the message boards, the one thing that really annoyed me was people talking about what they were in high school. Obviously adults have different bodies than teenagers, so why should anyone think they can be the same size/shape they were in HS? Exceptions are if you were overweight/obese in HS and have never lost weight since. Anyway, it would be nice if MFP would consider letting us put a BMI or body fat% as a goal instead of weight. And any BMI calculator is assuming all people are equal(age/gender appropriate) as far as frame weight in order to calculate those numbers. It's good to have that range in any case, whether it be weight +/- 5 lbs or BMI +/- 1or2% or body fat +/- 1or2%. The "normal weight" range in the BMI is also a large weight range, for some people just being in that range is a good goal and others want to be very fit and slim and and the smaller end of the range, either way whose to judge as long as you're being healthy and realistic. You also have a great point in suggesting a goal of size and general health and fitness.
    Alas, what are we to do....MFP asked us what our goal weight was, so we had to answer. Personally I like "not squishy" but my goal is "not jiggly".
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love seeing ur posts......... And again its a good one....Thank you....:happy:
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Banks. Great post as usual. :flowerforyou:

I got off the 2lbs/week bandwagon a while ago (lost 80lbs in 2009). While I am still obese (222lbs on a 5'6" frame 34yo) I felt I needed more than 1200cals a day. I am one of the exceptions though as I weighed around 170-180lbs when I graduated high school and my goal is 150lbs. This puts me at the high end of normal BMI and actually feels achievable. That said, the 150 is just a number. I could hit 160 and feel and look great, or I may need to go lighter to get rid of the jiggle :laugh: Unfortunately as I lose I have discovered that I do not have a large frame (I am admiting to medium, but I could still be deluding myself :laugh: ) so more than likely 150 will still be high, but time will tell.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    Banks, thanks so much for the post. I needed this slap upside the head.

When I started MFP, I was 157.7 and very unhappy with my body. I worked out ALOT but ate ALOT. Not always crap but alot of everything with some really unhealthy stuff thrown in. My original goal was 142. I have weighed that in the past and it was fairly easy to maintain. However, I always felt at that weight that I wanted to lose another 7 lbs. so I revised my goal to 135. By the way, I am 5'9" and 47 years old. and weighed 138 when I graduated from high school and have had two kids. Well, I'm now at 136.2 by my weigh in this morning, I am now wearing size 6 pants for the first time in my life but I was still frustrated that I hadn't hit that "magic" 135. I still have squishy areas and am trying to add more toning but it's really hard to shift my mindset away from "how many calories did I burn???????" But, thanks to you, I think I can honestly say I have hit my goal weight and my new goal needs to be toning related. I will make that appointment for the body assessment at the Y on Monday right now and make my new goals body fat % related. This post ought to be a sticky!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Thanks. I probably need to rethink my goal weight... Too bad that the end of your ticker can't just say "Not squishy".

Love this and thanks for the post!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that correction, erickirb. Math was never my strongest suit. :tongue:

fyi my dear. While 15% is valid for a woman, it's not an easy goal. That's elite athlete level fitness, women can be as low as about 13% and still be healthy, but between 13 and 16% is considered elite and REALLY tough to maintain. I'm not saying you shouldn't shoot for it, I think that's a great goal, but just wanted to throw a little reality in there and let you know, 15% is going to be rough. FYI, for a woman, 17 to 20% is usually not noticeable levels of fat, unless you are unfortunate enough to have it all clustered in one spot, because women hold some fat in other places (anywhere from 1% to 10% of total fat reserves can be in the breasts for women, so depending on breast size, your body fat can be quite different from someone else and still be pretty much exactly the same in all other measurements.)
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Great post! Thanks!

Bumping for later reference!