MFP's most common user pitfall to avoid

Replies

• SUCH an informative post. Thank you. I hope it becomes sticky, because people really need this information (and the muscle mass explanation was very helpful, as well!).

I’ve just updated my signature to say 130’s, versus my previous goal of 135 (which I picked based on BMI charts). I have never considered trying to lose 2 pounds a week, despite the fact that I am 90 to 100 pounds overweight depending on which chart I consult. I shot for the middle range of 1.5 pounds and actually plan to revise down to 1 pound a week after I am 40 to 50% of the way toward my goal. But even if I weighed 150, I would be happy if I was lean with muscle tone and able to wear clothes size 8 or smaller.

Again, thank you for all the information you share here. It has helped me tremendously on my journey (as early into it as I may be).
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Thanks for the great responses guys. I'm very happy to see so many people embracing the healthy ideas that MFP brings about.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Thanks for the great post! It's pretty much the general idea I had in mind in terms of goals, so it's nice to be reinforced. I picked an arbitrary number as my final goal (my lowest post-puberty weight, 140 lbs--I'm 5'4") but I'm planning on monitoring things as I get closer to it and if I look good and feel good 10 or 20 lbs higher, that's where I'll end up.

For what it's worth, even at 140 lbs I was still pretty chubby... but I was a chubby athlete (resting heart rate in the 40s due to the amount of exercise I was getting, loads of endurance, and awesome musculature underneath the layer of fat). I thought I was horrifically overweight at the time but I'm pretty sure now that I was actually at the upper end of my healthy range.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Yes!! Thank you for slapping me back into place. I have been so focused on what the scale says and so focused on a certain weight. I've found a new love! My measuring tape!!! It was my #1 fan during my 30 Day Shred.

~Jo:flowerforyou:
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this post :) THANKS for the reminder!
  • LOVE IT!! You can eat and lose weight! Really if its 2lbs or .5lbs down a week at least its coming off. Its a lifestyle change :) All the loses add up in the end-slow and steady wins the race.
  • SHBoss1673
    now that I have all your attention ... :devil:

feel free to peruse my personal blog, where I discuss some of the more pressing topics on health and nutrition. Just started it recently and would be happy to have more folks following. I'll be updating it once or twice a week.

http://banks1850-machinations.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-thoughts-on-nutrition-health.html

I know, I'm shameless, but hey, how else am I gonna promote the darn thing, Facebook is lame for us crusty over 30's.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member

feel free to peruse my personal blog, where I discuss some of the more pressing topics on health and nutrition. Just started it recently and would be happy to have more folks following. I'll be updating it once or twice a week.

http://banks1850-machinations.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-thoughts-on-nutrition-health.html

I know, I'm shameless, but hey, how else am I gonna promote the darn thing, Facebook is lame for us crusty over 30's.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm already following! But I haven't had a chance to read this week's post yet. Or get caught up on other reading. Or clean the house. :grumble:
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member

I always enjoy reading what you post. I'm going to try and follow this. Thanks for all of your helpful information
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    fyi, here's a simple height to weight ratio chart for most people (adults).

not for use with teens and children.

Please note, this is NOT age adjusted. This is super super super generic. But it's ok if you understand this going in. And know that this is just a suggestion, not a hard and fast law. Some people can be perfectly fine outside this chart!

height-weight-chart.gif

i know this isn't perfect or age-adjusted, but it was just exactly what i needed to see!!! i get discouraged sometimes seeing other people (mostly younger) who are my height with starting weights and goal weights below where i am...and at 5'3" and 28 years old i fall right in the middle at about 128 (+/- a couple lbs)...i would still like my 'range' to be a little bit lower, but i know i need to focus more on fitness goals than on the number on the scale at this point...i already weigh less than i did when i graduated high school (!!!!) :) thank you for the boost of confidence i needed and the reality check too :)
  • SHBoss1673

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm already following! But I haven't had a chance to read this week's post yet. Or get caught up on other reading. Or clean the house. :grumble:
    :cry:

It's on the psychological aspects of obesity. There'll be a new one tomorrow or Sunday, not sure what on yet though, there's so much to choose from.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member

:cry:

It's on the psychological aspects of obesity. There'll be a new one tomorrow or Sunday, not sure what on yet though, there's so much to choose from.

I swear I'll read it this weekend. As for a future post, I was thinking the other day I'd really love to see something (from you) about:

Length of training sessions, both cardio and weight/strength training: See lots of questions about "I workout for 4 hours a day, is it too much" or "I only have time for 20 minutes, is that too little" etc. I firmly believe there is a point at which it's overkill (or a symptom of exercise addiction) but I've seen a LOT of conflicting info regarding how much is too much, and how much is necessary, and how much is optimal for weight loss, etc.

Some kind of general guide for macro ratios, or at least a discussion of what different ratios are likely to result in - I know this is a tough one, as a lot of it is dependent on an individual preference and need, but I hear a lot of different opinions and am curious as to what percentages or range of percentages are optimal for different situations.

There were a couple others, but I'm old and didn't write them down, so I can't recall them at the moment.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Thanks for sharing! I needed to hear that!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    I definitely needed to read this.

How did you know? haha :oP
  • SHBoss1673
    bumping for the weekenders. :wink:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Shhh, Barf! Too early for bumping.... :indifferent:
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    I agree! My family doctor even asked me what I weighed in highschool and he said I should be back at that weight....I was thinking in my head....this guy is a quack! there is no way that will happen, but I can certainly get in a close range of it:)
  • bump
  • Thank you so much for the post! :smile: It has confirmed what I have been asking myself! I set my goals to lose 2 pounds a week...I'm not obese and could not for the life of me figure out why I was STARVING all day long. :grumble: I'm 5 "11" and want to lose less then 20 pounds. I find even when I changed my goals to 1 1/2 pounds a week I still wasn't satisfied enough and it would cause me to eat whatever was at my reach just so I wouldn't fel the hunger pangs. After much thinking today and a topic I had posted earlier asking people what they had the most success with...1 or 2 pounds a week...most people said 1 and now after reading this I now know that I need to reset my goals to 1 pound a week. I no know why I have been failing at my attempts to rid this 20 pounds and it's because I wasn't eating enough...ugg! I exercise 5-6 days a week (30 Day Shred combined with the Treadmill or walking my dog) I wish I would have known this sooner and I probably would have had much more success at my attempts and less of a rollercoaster ride. I also wouldn't have beaten myself up so badly! :noway: Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Very helpful. I like the goal range versus goal weight. That's something I will incorporate into my plans.
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.