oatmeal...other ways to eat it without butter and sugar

Options
12346»

Replies

• MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow! Didn't know there were so many ideas - some that I need to try. I have mine with unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon. Very yummy as well. =)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I add frozen mixed berries to my oatmeal, they are sweet and tart and get all melty with the heat - and are packed full of antioxidants :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Another one I do which is a bit different is simply adding a few teaspoons of oats to a warm drink like tea/coffee/mocha for when I'm feeling a bit peckish between main meals.
  • VolcanoMouse
    Options
    I really like savory oatmeal. It's pretty weird, but nothing says oatmeal has to be sweet, right? I like to think of oatmeal as a carbohydrate, just like rice or pasta or a potato-- you can mix whatever you like with it!

An egg, a bit of cooked sausage, a sprinkle of cheese, a few nuts, chicken breast, leftover veggies, whatever spices you want to throw in... tons of things work, once you get past the weirdness of it. Would it work in a taco? On a baked potato? With polenta or risotto? It would probably work here! You don't need much of an add-in for it to change the dish-- you can get sort of a "fast food breakfast sandwich" flavor using only using a fraction of the normal amounts of, say, sausage or cheese or other 'bad' stuff.

I started this mostly because I needed a way of getting protein into my breakfasts, and putting it all in one dish was easier. :smile: It's not for everyone, but I've made some converts!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    1 tsp of pure maple syrup + 1 T of chopped walnuts
  • Mom2MandN
    Mom2MandN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This may also increase you milk production. Just and FYI.
  • jessalice66
    jessalice66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    dried fruit! cranberries are my favourite.
    i quite like cold oats in a bowl with a small amount of milk, water, and different fruits (dried or not). it really fills me up and is seriously refreshing in the morning!
  • HealtyMeow
    Options
    Fruit Jam, Cookie crumbs and fresh fruits!

Also wrap it around flour and chicken, deep fried.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Probably already said, but PB2. Perhaps a little stevia to sweeten. Marvelous.