Type II Diabetics - Let's Support Each Other

Options

Replies

• JessBezz77
    JessBezz77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just started here on this site, thanxs to my cousin.

I've been diagnosed with Type II for about 10 years now.

After a year without health benefits, I've finally gotten insurance two months ago, and with the support of my husband, family and friends I'm tackling this the best I can.

I am currently on:

Actos 15 mg 1x
    Januvia 50 mg 1x
    Metformin 1000 mg 2x
    Glucotrol XRL 10 mg 2x

I am at my wits' end though.

WIth all of this medication - I am still having low/mid 200's two to three hours after I eat - but in the evening - I'm crashing to 70's-50's - and having a horrible time with those lows - scaring my hubby too.

My doc has been working with me and assures me that it will all work out.

I'm just frustrated.

I KNOW I don't eat the GREATEST - but I don't eat BAD.

There's always room for improvement - but it's just so frustrating to THINK you're doing good - but see no results.

My biggest area of trouble is motivation and activity (i hate calling it exercise)

I'm paranoid to go too low carb or exercise too much to have more drops/low numbers - but I KNOW i need to loose some of this weight.

So - just my ramble of an intro - and friends/motivators are always welcome!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    cillanoir- Hello, do you eat every 3-4 hours whether you are hungry or not? My nutritionist told me not to go longer than 4 hours without eating and every 3 is best to keep blood sugars stable. Eat no more than 45g carb per meal and 15g carb per snack. Breakfast should be eaten within 30-60 minutes of waking up, then a mid morning snack, lunch, late afternoon snack, dinner, and bed time snack 60 minutes before bedtime. If the snack spikes your blood sugar pair it with a protein. Some examples are string cheese with a few crackers, yogurt, apple slices with cheese or peanut butter, toast with peanut butter, milk, fruit and nuts, popcorn, etc. Eat at least 15g protein in a meal... Try to stay with slow carbs (complex carbs) that digest more slowly and don't spike the blood sugar.

Have you talked with a nutritionist? Maybe your doctor could suggest one to consult with?

Good luck!
    Jenny
  • JessBezz77
    JessBezz77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No nutrionist yet - but that might be on the agenda at the next visit in four weeks if i can't seem to straighten things out.

I TRY to eat every 3 to 4 hours or so - but another part of the issues is just no appetite. I'm on Zoloft which supposedly contributes to that - but since all of these meds were introduced - my appetite is zero - and it's so hard - mentally - to eat when i'm not "feeling" hungry.

I'm also contemplating asking if there is some other med instead of like - the four i'm on - even if it's injectible - i dont' care - i hate popping all of these pills and side effects...
    cillanoir-

Have you talked with a nutritionist? Maybe your doctor could suggest one to consult with?

Good luck!
    Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It is hard when you don't have an appetite and food doesn't taste good:( Having a discussion about your meds and their effects with your doctor is probably a good idea. What kinds of things do you eat during the day and at meals?

Jenny
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know I'm like a broken record, but bloodsugar101.com was so useful when I was first diagnosed. Helped me get my sugars under control within weeks.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    CillaNoir, your doctor have you on a lot of diabetic medicine. 70 is a good low number. Anything under that is not good.

The reason why your sugar is low like that is because of all the medicine you are talking. Read the medicine informatoin for all your medicines that's not Metformin to see what it says about lowering your blood sugar.

I know you aren't on Glimepride, but Glimepride is a diabetic medicine that will bring a diabetic's blood sugar way down.

Do you check your blood before you exercise? Exercise lower your blood sugar as well and if you aren't checking your blood sugar before you exercise, there's a possibility that your blood sugar is too low to begin with, before you exercise.

I would ask my doctor to cut back on my medicine or do a test trail. I would take metformin and one of my other medicine to see how they works out. Each day change out the other medicine and still take metformin. See which one works good with metformin, causing you to have good low numbers, without dropping your numbers into the danger zone.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That's a scary looking diet, and paced badly.

But I'm no nutritionist.
  • jrbanta
    Options

But I'm no nutritionist.

Poleboy-I gather you are referring to my post above about # of carbs per snack and meal. Those are maximums for me but are paired with veggies and proteins throughout the day. I'm not just eating carbs. In the U.S. they teach how to balance carbs, not avoid them, so blood sugars stay stable throughout the day. Eating every 3-4 hours is recommended otherwise glucose takes a dive. If overloading too many carbs at one time then glucose spikes. Pretty basic... My nutritionist geared my eating plan and carb balancing to my goals of gradual weight loss over time. Some people eat less and some can eat more. I don't believe in eating a minimal amt. of food (as you referred to yourself doing in an earlier post) to lose weight. I believe we need to learn to eat balanced and healthy, lose as we do so, and continue to eat healthy for the rest of our lives. My A1c is 5.4, my daily glucose levels are normal, and I am losing weight at the rate I hoped to so you may say the diet and pace is horrible but it's all based on the individual because we are each unique. I don't buy in to the extreme weight loss measures that many people on MFP engage in because they will eventually gain back the weight or quit their journey due to extreme practice and frustration. Good luck with your journey.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

But I'm no nutritionist.

Poleboy-I gather you are referring to my post above about # of carbs per snack and meal. Those are maximums for me but are paired with veggies and proteins throughout the day. I'm not just eating carbs. In the U.S. they teach how to balance carbs, not avoid them, so blood sugars stay stable throughout the day. Eating every 3-4 hours is recommended otherwise glucose takes a dive. If overloading too many carbs at one time then glucose spikes. Pretty basic... My nutritionist geared my eating plan and carb balancing to my goals of gradual weight loss over time. Some people eat less and some can eat more. I don't believe in eating a minimal amt. of food (as you referred to yourself doing in an earlier post) to lose weight. I believe we need to learn to eat balanced and healthy, lose as we do so, and continue to eat healthy for the rest of our lives. My A1c is 5.4, my daily glucose levels are normal, and I am losing weight at the rate I hoped to so you may say the diet and pace is horrible but it's all based on the individual because we are each unique. I don't buy in to the extreme weight loss measures that many people on MFP engage in because they will eventually gain back the weight or quit their journey due to extreme practice and frustration. Good luck with your journey.

While I don't watch my protein as closely as you (sodium is my big issue, after carbs), my carb intake is similar to yours. I tend to keep my carbs below 50 each meal and 15 each snack (though I'll go above if I know a food is low-glycemic and doesn't spike my blood sugar). Like you, my blood sugar is normal when I test each day, I tend to have a bar for breakfast, a banana a few hours later, a bowl of strawberries or a nectarine a few hours after that, a string cheese after, etc., until I hit dinner. Often, I'll break dinner into two, with part early on and the other part a couple of hours later to keep things even. I don't KNOW what my A1c is right now because I've only been doing the diabetic dance for a couple of months, but it was 6.9, and I fully expect it to be markedly lower when I go in for testing. After all, I've lost over 40 lbs. since the diagnosis came down (and made major changes to how I approach carbs), and I am sure that's made a difference.

Kris
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Kris it sounds like you are doing great! 40 pounds is wonderful and I bet you feel better too! I'm sure your counts will have improved. I was looking back over all my tests (lipids, glucose, etc.) the past year and I've steadily improved each time (3 different dr. visits/lab results). It's just a matter of understanding how we need to eat to become more healthy and how food and exercise affects our body. It was a wake up call for me when I got diagnosed and I was grateful I was able to take a class on how to manage my D2.

When do you go to the dr. again?

Jenny
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Thanks, Jenny! My whole family is diabetic, and I'm the only one who's opted for lifestyle changes instead of meds and no changes. I'm like some crazy carb-counting pioneer in my family ;-)

My appointment is middle of next month, and I'm hoping to see a real difference in my A1c!

Kris
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options

But I'm no nutritionist.

Poleboy-I gather you are referring to my post above about # of carbs per snack and meal.
    No, I was referring to CillaNoir's food diary.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/CillaNoir?date=2011-06-16
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    So while at work and unable to have a meal *way too busy with my customers. I drank one of those Atkins chocolate shakes. My bg before was 85. Two hours later 88. Those things rock!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have been "off track" with diabetes management for a while. Managed to continue to taking my meds, but dieting and exercise went out the window when I found out in early January that I had to have a hysterectomy. The surgery was a few weeks ago, and I've just gotten the "all clear" from the doc to resume my walking. That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that my energy level is not yet back to the level it was before the surgery. It is frustrating to start feeling better but then be completely exhausted after a very short walk. I know I'll get there, though!

By the way, the surgery was not a complete excuse for not eating right. I do the meal planning and cooking for myself and my partner. So while I was recovering, we planned meals that she could easily prepare that didn't require a lot actual cooking. Also, my anxiety level was pretty high for a while so I know that there was some emotional eating as well!

I'm scheduled to have my next A1c in a couple of weeks. I don't look forward to those results!!! But hey...I'm back on track now!

katzpawz

I can soooo relate t this. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and have done a lot of stress eating since. I put on about 40 pounds (maybe a bit less) after that.

When I had cancer & they put me on steroids, my sugars went through the roof, and evn though I've been off of all that since, I have been taking Actos plus Met since then. My last A1c was around 6.

My partner is also type 2 diabetic. She became insulin dependdent around the time I was diagnosed, although she had been taking metformin for years previously. Other health issues, stress and medications all came into play there as well. She has been on Victoza for several months now and has been able to come off the Nova Log, even though she still takes Lantus at night. Even that dose has been greatly reduced.

Sent you a friend request :-)
  • rowdymcrowdy
    Options
    Hello- I have Type II for over 10 years. My heavy weight was 347 and I am presently 286. I still have a way to go, because my goal is to lose 126 more. Every week it gets better. Two Dr visits ago my A1C test in November 2010 was 6.9 and my last test a month ago was 6.2 and the Dr said it was the diet and exercise. I want to get off the three oral pills I am on. So now that I know it can be done I have to keep doing it.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Hi all! Just diagnosed with type II 22 Feb '11. My nutritionist suggested i use this site as a way to track my dietary intake as i can also keep track of my carbs here instead of writing it all down in a little notebook like i had been doing. So far i'm liking myfitnesspal. Unfortunately my primary care doctor didn't give me a range where she wanted my blood sugars to be...so i'm trying to keep it around the 130s and lower...my fasting was 126 when they diagnosed me. i've found my numbers are always higher when i wake up and then they gradually drop as the day progresses. I take 500mg janumet 2x a day and so far i've been lucky to only have tummy upset twice. When i took metformin (dr prescribed it for weight loss and pre-diabetes) my tum was sick for close to a month..couldn't leave the house for fear...lol Anyhow, thought i'd key in and make myself known... :D

Your sugar is probably higher in themorning because in the middle of the night, you bottom out which sends a warning to your liver. Your liver then produces glucose in order to balance you out, but over produces. My partner is on Lantis at night for this very problem. Your liver knows that the lows can beeven more dangerous than the highs. I have heard that eating a small snack (about 150 calories) at night before bed which includes complex carbs and protein can help keep you from hitting these night time lows. Whole grain crackers with cheese, a kashi bar or a small handful of unsalted nuts are all viable options. This helped my partner, as long as she didn't go over that 150-200 calorie mark. She strted gaining weight when she went over that.
  • peacehawk
    Options

I love sugar why do I have to be diabetic... :sad: Okay just whinning sorry...

My partner is so allergic to aspartame that she once ended up in the hospital with a near fatal anaphalactic reaction, so real sugars are the way to g in our household. Cane sugar, beet sugar, maple syrup, honey, agave nectar (my favorite). But recently I discovered a low glycemic food that seems to rid me of my sweet tooth! I was being good one day, I had excercised enough and was craving ice cream, but made myself first eat a healthy dinner-pork chop, salad and baked sweet potato with nothing but cinnamon on it. By the time I was done with my half sweet potato, my craving for a sweet dessert was gone! Yummy sweet potato!
  • peacehawk
    Options
    What's the new drug for diabetes that helps with weight loss?

There are 2 that I know of, maybe more: byetta and victoza. Victoza is quite new and my partner had to get special approval from our insurance, they only a0pproved it because for her the other one didn't work.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Caught this on the news day before yesterday. I swear, it gets scarier and scarier--my mom's been on both Avandia and Actos.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesTreatment/fda-warns-bladder-cancer-risk-actos/story?id=13850066

Kris
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    cillanoir- Hello, do you eat every 3-4 hours whether you are hungry or not? My nutritionist told me not to go longer than 4 hours without eating and every 3 is best to keep blood sugars stable. Eat no more than 45g carb per meal and 15g carb per snack. Breakfast should be eaten within 30-60 minutes of waking up, then a mid morning snack, lunch, late afternoon snack, dinner, and bed time snack 60 minutes before bedtime. If the snack spikes your blood sugar pair it with a protein. Some examples are string cheese with a few crackers, yogurt, apple slices with cheese or peanut butter, toast with peanut butter, milk, fruit and nuts, popcorn, etc. Eat at least 15g protein in a meal... Try to stay with slow carbs (complex carbs) that digest more slowly and don't spike the blood sugar.

Good luck!
    Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for these tips, these are great and I've been trying to do something similar now for the past month - when I really started to take control of my diabetes and my life! Still have a ways to go, but working on it. I go to the Dr. in August, 120 days after my last appt and my real "coming to Jesus" realization when my A1c was 8.5. So I can't wait to go and see the progress I've made!

Thanks,
    Nicole