Type II Diabetics - Let's Support Each Other

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing great. Keep up the good work.
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.
    It is great to read all the good and encouraging items! Thank you.
    I am *an infant* in all this. Though diagnosed in 2009 I did not take it very seriously.
    And talk about learning the hard way! I ended up in the ER and admitted because dumb bunny me
    gave to night time dose in the am(humalog) 40 units and then the *oh crap* moment.
    I was running on auto pilot -and boom.
    well the ER staff were nice and we all joked about it-apparently this happens alot sadly.
    I was lucky-I drank some juice and ate two pieces of toast-
    lesson learned -all pens marked..

hang in there everyone.
  • renitaallen5
    renitaallen5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great group. My doctor has decided to moveme from my current insulin therapy to a insulin pump because my numbers are not consistent and hasn't been for a year. I have been counting carbs, however now it will become more important once I get on the pump. For nutrition I have found receipes databases on line which give the nutrional information which has been helpful.:happy:
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I just joined MFP a week ago and just found this post today, it is very helpful. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in June 2009 and was started on 500mg of Metformin 2x daily, within a year I was bumped to 1000mg of Metformin 2x daily. I never paid attention to any of my blood work, but now I will after reading all the posts here. I got married in 2003 I weighed 155, and I am 5'3, in March of this year I weighed 190, and when I joined MFP last week I weighed 160. I have not weighed my self yet and won't until the end of the week maybe Friday, once i hit 160 I seemed to have not lost anymore weight. This weight loss stuff is new to me, I've just been going along with it eating around 1200 - 1400 calories a day, less fried foods more fruits and veggies and doing 2,3, and 4 mile walks with Leslie Sansone 4 days a week along with some walking at work and crunchs, sit-ups, lunges, and squats 2 maybe 3days a week. It has worked out for me so far but has just seemed to stop or slow down. MFP has helped me out alot with calorie, fat and carb intake. I was taking in alot more than I thought. It is nice to meet you all I look forward to reading more posts and replying to posts and hopefully we can all learn from each other, I know I have already. Everyone have a great day. By the way I also take 2 different types of blood pressure medications and a 3rd if it spikes, and iron pills for anemia. My Metformin is accompanied by HCTZ.
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 this year, I got online and immediately started looking around for information. I knew nobody could "cure" diabetes, so I ignored the sites that offered miracle cures, assuming they were snake oil salesmen. I did, however, take an interest in bloodsugar101.com, as the information there seemed to be solid. I followed the "eat to your meter" advice and cut out all high-carbohydrate food, learning how to cook and bake with lower-carb options, and was able to get my blood sugars down to normal levels within about three weeks.

Later my doctor wanted me to get some diabetic nutrition education to make sure I was taking care of myself properly, so I went to the local hospital to talk to a diabetes nurse. When the nurse saw my A1Cs at time of diagnosis in April (7.4) and my A1Cs in July (5.6), she looked at me and said, "I don't think there's very much I can tell you." Hee. (But I had to go back for three more classes anyway. Go figure.)

A balanced low-carb diet with plenty of vegetables, low-sugar fruits and lean meat isn't difficult to stick to. I can (and will) eat like this for the rest of my life (which will be long and healthy if I'm lucky).
  • joied
    joied Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Diabetes 2 runs in my family and I'm finding it a struggle to maintain consistent BGLs. This week I'm changing my medication to include a self injecting one. Not insulin but another diabetes med that hopefully will help me reduce my weight as well control my sugar levels. Am really hoping for some friends to help and to help me in this forum. Please free feel to add me as a friend and I would be more than happy to help you in return.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Performed an experiment yesterday--had a quarter pound cheeseburger without switching out the bun for my low carb bread (though I did pull about a third of the bun off because there was just so much of it) and about a half an order of small fries, plus a beer-battered onion ring and a breaded chicken strip, plus my usual spring mix salad with light dressing. I wanted to see, after losiing 90 lbs, what my blood sugar would do.

It was beautiful. I was 99 before, 122 two hours post. No, I'm not going to make a habit of this--it screws up my nutritional goals for the day and leaves me feeling bloated and oogy, but it's good to know I can, on occasion, grab a burger and not have it flip my blood sugar through the roof like it would earlier this year.

Kris
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hi all - Count me in. I was diagnosed March 29,2011with Type 2 Diabetes.

My numbers then were; Weight 260 lbs., Triglycerides 361, Fasting BG 250, A1C 8.3. I started Kombiglyze and Fenefibrate.

Since then, my numbers are: Weight 226, A1C 5.3, Triglycerides 89, Fasting BG 126.

I watch what I eat and exercise pretty regularly. Thanks for being here!
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    I haven't gotten lost, and I'm sort of back!

Our move from London to Seattle is going well. We're getting settled into our temporary housing. We still have a lot things to catch up on, so I'll pop in when I can for the short term. I'm looking forward to getting back into some sort of routine that will allow me to check in regularly.

I hope everyone is well!

Cheers,
    katzpawz
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    katzpawz-hope you like Seattle. Never been there but heard it's a great city and a lot of fun.

Jenny
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Wow it seems like our little group fell off the face so thought I would try and see if anyone else is still around and how they are doing
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've been off the boards until a few days ago---still keeping track and working it, just not socializing so much. I'm doing good, A1c down to 5.4, blood sugar running great after a strange "high" patch a couple of months ago where I was running 20-40 points higher than I had been. Not sure why it happened, but I'm back down where I should be and everything seems good. How about you?

Kris
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    Okay, I'll bring you guys up to date and try to do it without writing a dissertation.

We moved from London to Seattle in August. By November, we had purchased a home, a car and a washer/dryer. We got moved into our new home and love it.

By the time I got to the doctor for a diabetes check, my A1c was 10...way bad! The doctor agreed to give me three months to get back on track (she was very understanding about how crazy things had been for the past 2-3 months prior to our meeting).

I'm happy to say that in just over two months, my blood glucose readings have dropped dramatically. Most of the time, my numbers are in the normal range or just slight outside of that range. I'm very curious to see what my next A1c will be in a few weeks. I've been going to the gym 5-6 days a week. I'm able to walk on the treadmill for an hour three to four days, and I workout with a trainer the other three (I got a package deal on the trainer and it's almost up, after that I'll workout with him once a week for another two months). I've gotten back on track with meal planning and the scales are beginning to show that as well.

Now for the current situation: we're in the middle of a snow/ice storm and I haven't been able to get to the gym all week. I've done a little bit of exercise at home, but it's hard to get motivated to do any cardio at home. I have been doing some projects and chores around the house, and that has helped keep me moving, but it's not the same as a workout.

I'll make a point of checking in on this thread more regularly than I have been. I hope you're all doing well.

katzpawz
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Hi I'm also a type 2 diabetic which is my main reason why I got serious on proper nutrition & exercise. Really its a struggle to bear with this disease. I hate the unusually weak, tired & shaky feeling that I'm having sometimes & I missed wearing high heels. Please add me also. I know we can all do this
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to start a group. I will join it.