Replies

• Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    How is everyone doing this week?
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Well, went in for my first ever UTI (holy cow!), and had them do a BMP because it's been almost three months since I've been tested. Results came back yesterday, and my A1c is down from 6.9 to 5.7%! In less than three months!

I'm happy about that--really happy.

Kris
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's awesome news.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    So went to the doctors to day and he is thrilled with my progress. I have lost 42 pounds since starting on MFP in March, more if you count the weight I have not charted at my heaviest I was 282 lbs YIKES back a year ago.(remember I dont own a scale only weigh myself once every month) My A1C last year was 6.8 and today I was hoping for less but 5.7 made my doctor so happy. I have been on Glumetza and Januvia for 4 years now since having my second child, today I have been taken off Januvia and was told if I keep going the way i am I should be able to lower the dose. I am so happy to be going in the right direction into health.
    I was also told something today that in the 4 years with blood testing I have NEVER known or done. Did you know to find out what a carb or type of food does to your body the best way to test is before you eat and then 2 hours afterward and if the scores have a 3 point range its good if its over the 3 points then that food may need to be eaten less of or not at all depending on how large the reading is. Has anyone else ever tested like this. I knew a reading of 5 - 10 or 90 - 180 is the range you want to be in after eating but never knew the 3 point range thing to see what it exactly does to your body. I am going to test one meal a day like this for a while just to see what my favorite foods are doing to my body everytime I eat them.

Hope You all are doing good and keeping things in check
    TEST TEST TEST and make good choices
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Well, went in for my first ever UTI (holy cow!), and had them do a BMP because it's been almost three months since I've been tested. Results came back yesterday, and my A1c is down from 6.9 to 5.7%! In less than three months!

I'm happy about that--really happy.

Kris

That's good. Keep up the good work.
  • AZackery
    Options
    So went to the doctors to day and he is thrilled with my progress. I have lost 42 pounds since starting on MFP in March, more if you count the weight I have not charted at my heaviest I was 282 lbs YIKES back a year ago.(remember I dont own a scale only weigh myself once every month) My A1C last year was 6.8 and today I was hoping for less but 5.7 made my doctor so happy. I have been on Glumetza and Januvia for 4 years now since having my second child, today I have been taken off Januvia and was told if I keep going the way i am I should be able to lower the dose. I am so happy to be going in the right direction into health.
    I was also told something today that in the 4 years with blood testing I have NEVER known or done. Did you know to find out what a carb or type of food does to your body the best way to test is before you eat and then 2 hours afterward and if the scores have a 3 point range its good if its over the 3 points then that food may need to be eaten less of or not at all depending on how large the reading is. Has anyone else ever tested like this. I knew a reading of 5 - 10 or 90 - 180 is the range you want to be in after eating but never knew the 3 point range thing to see what it exactly does to your body. I am going to test one meal a day like this for a while just to see what my favorite foods are doing to my body everytime I eat them.

Hope You all are doing good and keeping things in check
    TEST TEST TEST and make good choices

Good job Qtpiesmom and thanks for sharing about the 3 point.
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Some of you have probably read the news about a (very small) study done in England wherein the 11 diabetic participants were placed on a very strict 600-calorie-per-day diet for eight weeks, and "got rid" of their diabetes. If you were skeptical about this, you were right to be. There's a great write-up about why this new research doesn't really prove anything or "get rid" of diabetes over the long haul, and how a very-low-calorie diet can actually cause significant harm:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2011/06/idiotically-dangerous-diet-reverses.html
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I recently got diagnosed and I always thought I had it but never took it serious until I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my 1st pregnancy :( after my son was born they tested me and said it was gone (like it suppose to after you deliver) well I was relieved!!! I really didn't watch what I ate and before I knew it, I was close to 300lbs :( I got pregnant in Jan and had a miscarriage. I then found out I had type 2 and that it was so out of control that it was said to have caused that miscarriage :( so now here I am 50lbs lighter and off of my medication and I feel amazing!!! I cut out all sugars and bad carbs to help with my blood sugar. I have 85 more lbs to lose and would love to have supporting friends who knows what I am going through! We all can be here for eachother and save eachothers lives :)
  • AZackery
    Options
    Congratulation on your loss Shannonpatton
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes last year. :-(
    I'm trying to work on my diabetes slowly but surely. :-)
  • AZackery
    Options
    AdorablePanda, baby steps is the key.
  • crankinhaus
    Options
    Have had type II diabetes for about 15 years now, I am trying to control my weight, i'm not very good at that. I go well for a while being very conscientious and then gradually backslide. I'm hoping this helps me with being more consistent.

I reckon i need to drop about 25 kilos. My Hba1c is at 9% so it's not good right now. I'm on large doses of Lantus and some rapid acting insulin. My struggle is the hypos - if i diet and do vigorous exercise i can get bad hypos up to 48 hours after exercise.

So i'm just trying to take it really gradually with reducing the caloric intake and lowering my insulin doses as I do, making sure to have a bit of carbs after doing exercise.

It's a real freaking rollercoaster trying to get this right. I've managed to drop my morning and nighttime doses of Lantus by a few units so far and still have ok fasting and post-prandial BSL, so here's hoping can reach my goal - just have to not let the fear of hypos stop me (and keep some glucose tablets handy ;-))
  • bongowillie
    bongowillie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    THIS MONTH AVERAGE IS 102.1 AND WEIGHT IS DOWN TO ALL TIME LOW OF 211

JAN FEB MAR APRIL MAY JUNE
    AVERAGE 126 119.2 119.4 94.7 103.9 102.1
    BLOOD
    SUGAR
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    mind if i jump in?
    just a little about myself.
    i was DX in june of 06 on the 17th in fact. remember that day very clear for some reason. it was a friday, in class on saturday and sunday began my new life. i lost over 80 pounds. than dr said he wanted me to quit smoking, i did gained 30. lost that 30 stress gained 30, lost that 30 once again. DH lost his job we lost our house gained 53. since i have lost 15 of it in the last 3 months. i just got back from endro apt and she took me off all my deabetic meds. i was taking victoza. have not had an A1C over 6 in three years. she said she was willing to see if it can be controled. i use to test once a week, now back to daily again. no problem if it means no more shots.

hope you all have a great day. mine just got better. better order some more test strips from insurance.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hey gang,

Sorry for not checking in on this thread for a while.

I had a follow-up visit with my Dr this week and got the great news I was hoping for.

Details here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/275062-the-dr-said-my-diabetes-is

I'd love to have you all add me as friends if you want some support, my new lease on life has me wanting to help others overcome this devastating disease.

I won't say it's been easy, because it hasn't, but it has been the best thing I have ever done for myself, bar nothing.

You can beat this, but you have to really want it, there is no half in, you are either in, or you are out.

Have a great 4th Of July Weekend everyone!
  • AZackery
    Options
    Good job Titletown
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hey gang,

Sorry for not checking in on this thread for a while.

I had a follow-up visit with my Dr this week and got the great news I was hoping for.

Details here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/275062-the-dr-said-my-diabetes-is

I'd love to have you all add me as friends if you want some support, my new lease on life has me wanting to help others overcome this devastating disease.

I won't say it's been easy, because it hasn't, but it has been the best thing I have ever done for myself, bar nothing.

You can beat this, but you have to really want it, there is no half in, you are either in, or you are out.

Have a great 4th Of July Weekend everyone!

FABULOUS! I just knocked my A1c down from 6.9 to 5.7, but I'm liking the sound of your 5,4. I think I'll shoot for that, next!

Good job! Very nice!

Kris
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Way to go Kris!
  • jambs5
    jambs5 Posts: 114
    Options
    My husband and I both have Type II Diabetes. We could not afford our meds for approxinmately 2 - 2 1/2 yrs. My A1C Level was 14.2 back in March and as on 2 weeks ago it is now 9.2. I joined MFP on 5/13/11. I've only lost 8#s so far and want to lose 40-50#s, if not more. I've been watching more closely what I'm eating and I am exercising more too. My mantra/motto is : "The more you move, the more you lose." Please feel free to add me for support/encouragement. Have a great night everybody. :flowerforyou:
  • AZackery
    Options
    Jambs5, it depends on your medicine, but if they are generic medicine a 30 day supply at Walmart, Kroger and KMart is $4.00 and 90 day supply is $10.00.