Type II Diabetics - Let's Support Each Other

Options

Replies

• LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    How often do you guys allow yourself to have like ice cream and cookies? I have some carb smart ice cream and I really want some but every time i look at it I feel guilty like it is not something i should have. I don't even enjoy eating anymore
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    How often do you guys allow yourself to have like ice cream and cookies? I have some carb smart ice cream and I really want some but every time i look at it I feel guilty like it is not something i should have. I don't even enjoy eating anymore

It's all a numbers game for me--if my carbs for a particular meal are low enough, I can have a dessert. If not, but I have the daily calories for it, I wait a few hours and then have a reasonable dessert if I really, really want it. I'm getting an increasingly good handle on my blood sugar and how my body responds to different foods, and so I'm able to have a nice couple of scoops of homemade (low sugar) ice cream or a treat of pound cake with berries and light whipped cream every once in a while. But I keep my sweet tooth in check by having a Builder's Bar for breakfast each morning--it's low glycemic so it doesn't spike my sugar, and it satisfies my desire for sweets.

Kris
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options

FOOD IS NOT AN ENEMY!!! You can have what you want to have. Make sure to test before and after to see what your numbers do if its within a 3 range its ok. You can eat ice cream and cookies but not together. There are some good sugar free cookies out there. Read your labels make sure its under 35 in carbs and under 8 for sugars. Make sure you keep to the serving amounts too.
    I agree depending on how many carbs you eat in a meal depends on if you get a treat. Make sure to allow for it eat a big salad, meat and veggies if your going to have something sweet to balance it out.
    If its a weightloss thing then allow the calories for it, eat differently during the day so you can allow for it too.
    Not saying eat cookies and ice cream everyday but why beat yourself up or down because you made a choice to eat something you wanted. THATS not a bad thing we are making choices to be healthier and live well, happiness is part of living well. I have lost 47 pounds so far and my numbers are great because I balance how I eat. I dont deny myself ANYTHING if its something I want I have it I eat pizza, pasta, cookies, cake, ice cream whatever I want but I make sure I have the calories for it and balance all carbs out with meat and veggies. ITS CHOICES and making the best ones we can
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My problem with sweets was when I had it, I didn't know when to stop ;)

I rarely ever eat any sweets anymore, have been that way for going on 7 months now and don't miss it in the least.

There are usually so many useless calories in that stuff, I find it much more satisfying eating more of the good stuff, instead of loading up on sugar and being hungry 20 minutes later, and worse, craving more.

Everyone is different though, you have to find what works best for you.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    May I jump in? I love how supportive everyone is on this thread. Others I've seen can be very judgmental... I love that people here are willing to say "This is what worked for me, but everyone is different, you have to find what works best for you." Thank you for compassionate sharing!

I have hyperinsulinemia, which is slightly different than diabetes. A diabetic doesn't produce enough insulin; my body produces plenty of insulin, but doesn't know how to use it properly. But either way, you end up with a lot of the same problems & symptoms.

I thought it was really interesting that a lot of you have listened to your bodies and come to the same conclusions that my doctor recommended to me: fewer carbs, eating more often, etc. My doctor recommended these videos that kind of explain the science behind why that works, if anyone's interested. Here are the links:

Dr. Mary Vernon, president of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has had a lot of success with helping people manage their Type 2 Diabetes with diet alone. No insulin shots or other medications necessary. Here's a her explanation of why/how it works: http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html

Or if you're up for a longer lecture series, 5 15-minute segments, try this youtube video from when she lectured at the University of Kansas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Best of luck to all!
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    am new.Looking for ideas and support and just plain chat and inspiration.thank you for this subject.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Welcome AdAstra and Molly!

I have a question for everyone? I had a friend over last night, and tested her blood sugar because she's over 40, a little heavy, and has a family history. She came back, at two hours post dinner, with a 181. For me, that would be shocking, I work hard to keep myself below 130, and start to get antsy if I'm above 140. I told her not to freak, but I did recommend that she talk to her doc about it. Anything else I should say to her?

Kris
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Knowing what we know, point her a good web site to help prepare her for her doctors visit. The sooner she can get in control, even if it is only a scare, the better.

I would absolutely freak out if my after dinner number was 180. I have work hard at my weight, diet and exercise. This morning my fasting BG number was 99 yeah, and after lunch was 108. If I can keep this and get and keep both numbers in the two digit, I may be able to stop taking the Metformin.

Hope this helps.

V.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    May I jump in? I love how supportive everyone is on this thread. Others I've seen can be very judgmental... I love that people here are willing to say "This is what worked for me, but everyone is different, you have to find what works best for you." Thank you for compassionate sharing!

I have hyperinsulinemia, which is slightly different than diabetes. A diabetic doesn't produce enough insulin; my body produces plenty of insulin, but doesn't know how to use it properly. But either way, you end up with a lot of the same problems & symptoms.

I thought it was really interesting that a lot of you have listened to your bodies and come to the same conclusions that my doctor recommended to me: fewer carbs, eating more often, etc. My doctor recommended these videos that kind of explain the science behind why that works, if anyone's interested. Here are the links:

Dr. Mary Vernon, president of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has had a lot of success with helping people manage their Type 2 Diabetes with diet alone. No insulin shots or other medications necessary. Here's a her explanation of why/how it works: http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html

Or if you're up for a longer lecture series, 5 15-minute segments, try this youtube video from when she lectured at the University of Kansas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Best of luck to all!
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    I would absolutely freak out if my after dinner number was 180.

LOL, yeah, me, too! I had two tuna melt sandwiches, a salad, and sugar snap peas for dinner and came back at 113. To be fair, my friend had at least a couple of pieces of pizza plus sugar snap peas and was drinking watered down Hawaiian Punch. But, I suppose, if that's her usual diet, then she's almost certainly up in the 180s or higher pretty frequently. My fasting is routinely below 100, and my post-exercise is in the 70s and 80s. I lucked out in that I caught this before I ever needed to be on Metformin. I've brought my A1c down from 6.9 to 5.7 in the past few months. I did recommend that she request an A1c test, and I'm wondering if I should suggest a glucose tolerance test? I'd like for her to get this looked at soonish.

Kris
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's terrific that you have managed to get under such good control. Unfortunately for me a 15 point swing during the day will make me dizzy, so I am working on that.

I was diagnosed in December, with my fasting number at 187 and the 2 hour GT test number at 230. It has taken this long through testing and reading to start to see the trend towards improvement. My A1c today is also 5.7, getting to 4.9 would be great. Here is to keeping the faith.

Victor
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    Just popping in to give a quick "Hello!" to everyone.

My partner and I are preparing to move from London to Seattle. I just haven't had time (and mental clarity) to be on the forums much.

I wish each of continued success on your journey toward better health.

I will say that the stress of planning an international move is wreaking havoc with my meal planning. Still doing better than I might have in the past, but also struggling quite a bit.

Hope everyone is doing well!

katzpawz
  • Thriceshy
    Options

My partner and I are preparing to move from London to Seattle. I just haven't had time (and mental clarity) to be on the forums much.

I will say that the stress of planning an international move is wreaking havoc with my meal planning. Still doing better than I might have in the past, but also struggling quite a bit.

katzpawz

Is this a permanent move, or for a job? I'd love to be moving in the other direction--from the States to England. I wonder, could we trade?

We've got a two thousand mile move up in the air and the stress is just about killing me. Add an ocean to cross and you must be tearing your hair out!

Good luck!

Kris
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hope everything goes well for you Katzpaws. Bon Voyage!

Just had my yearly DB checkup and am glad to say that things are going very well. Must be something to do with having lost weight as my readings are all down quite a bit. Also my cholestrol level is now 6.3 so much better than before.
    This week have had a sort of allover checkup...visited the podiatrist on Wednesday to have my feet seen to, Db ckeck on Thursday and Opticians on Friday. Next week I go to the dentist ... Doing good for an old'un! .. :laugh:
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Katpawz-Check in again when you get settled in Seattle:)

I just returned from a 3 week vacation to visit family in Michigan. My morning blood sugars before breakfast have been consistently in the 80's and 90's. I happy with those numbers!

Jenny
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Good job Amyllu
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    Hi everyone - been an interesting 3 months.

From an A1C of 10.8 in april, to 6.2 on friday, significant weight loss, drastic lifestyle change...i'm a jogger now?!...what a strange, wonderful trip it's been so far.

Been battling hypoglycemia the last couple weeks - i've cut my insulin (Lantus, so long lasting once a day type) intake down from 21 units to 5 units a day. Almost there.....

Blood pressure has been fantastic, have cut that medicine dose. I'm amazed, i hardly remember what it was like to live the way I did before.
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options

katzpawz

Is this a permanent move, or for a job? I'd love to be moving in the other direction--from the States to England. I wonder, could we trade?

We've got a two thousand mile move up in the air and the stress is just about killing me. Add an ocean to cross and you must be tearing your hair out!

Good luck!

Kris

This is a permanent move, we think. We're moving for my partner's new job.

This will be our second trans-Atlantic move in just over two years. We moved from Atlanta to London in 2009 and we're off to Seattle.

In addition to the millions of details which have to be sorted out, we're taking our two large dogs as well. There are almost as many details which have to be sorted for their move as for ours.

My posts may be pretty erratic for a while. Once we move, we'll be in a temporary place and I don't know if we'll have internet right away. I'll post when I can and try to keep up with everyone.

Cheers,
    katzpawz
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Hey, housework IS exercise! It must be--I cleaned house (mopping, scrubbing, dusting) for 40 minutes and my blood sugar did exactly what it does when I ride my exercise bike--it crashed! I started out at 117, and I ended at 62. It had been, from the time I ate until I checked my blood sugar, three hours.

Hey, good to know! Now I don't feel so guilty about counting housework as exercise!

Kris
  • JessBezz77
    JessBezz77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I've been a diagnosed type II for about 13 years now.

I'm currently having a problem and would like some advice - knowing EVERYbody (body) is different.

My A1C previously was around 11 or so I believe.

Since then - the doctor has been adding med after med for the past 5 months.

Actos, Januvia, Metformin, Glucotrol

My issue - is that I have gained at least 10 pounds since i started these medicines.

I have previously been on Byetta years ago - and it was a wonder drug for me. It aided in weight loss and kept my numbers within normal range along with a decent diet and activity level.

I am considering requesting that my new doctor put me on Byetta while staying on the Metformin as that also aids with my PCOS.

My questions are.

Has anyoen else had similar issues with this weight gain and the meds?

Does it look "bad" to go to the doctor REQUESTING certain medicines?