"5 foods to never eat"...?

Options

Replies

• dnj23
    dnj23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, bananas are the reason why 2/3rds of all adults are overweight. It's got nothing to do with aisles and aisles full of refined sugar and processed foods in the supermarket. Use common sense.
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Oh no I had a banana today :noway:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Foods to never eat?

1) Things you don't like. You should be open to trying new things and different ways of cooking, but you shouldn't force yourself to eat things you don't like. Find another source of whatever nutrient it has.

2) Foods that don't fill you up or leave you feeling hungrier.

3) Things that you are allergic to or that your body has a bad reaction to.

Eating is mainly about using your brain and listening to your body.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If I agreed never to eat any of a particular food, ever again, I would probably crave it immediately! :ohwell:
    Me too!! If I were to tell myself "I'm never going to eat ______again, It would be all I could think about for the rest of the day!!:laugh:
  • SeanIsMyHomeboy
    SeanIsMyHomeboy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would say...

1. Arsenic
    2. Bleach
    3. Glass
    4. Rat Poison
    5. Bananas
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes, bananas are the reason why 2/3rds of all adults are overweight. It's got nothing to do with aisles and aisles full of refined sugar and processed foods in the supermarket. Use common sense.
    (giggle, giggle)
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    (giggle, giggle)

Bah Ha Ha! The sarcasm dripping off this statement gave me a much needed giggle :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets to weight loss. There are no 5 foods that if avoided will make it easy to lose weight. There are no 5 foods that if eaten will make you lose weight or lose weight from a specific area.

Some foods have more nutritional value than others, but that doesn't mean that if you eat one type of food you'll suddenly gain weight.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options

As for bananas - when I joined WW, they said "fruit is free" as long as you don't abuse bananas.

and how exactly does one abuse a banana ? *Blushes* :blushing:
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here goes nothing....

There is no one food that will make you gain weight or lose weight in it of itself. Ingesting food=intaking calories.

Weight loss is determined by fat/protein/carb intake and comes down to energy balances, or the difference between calories in vs. calories out. As long as you remain in a deficit, you will lose weight, no matter where you get the calories from.

Now micronutrients like vitamins and minerals should be considered too, so getting a wide range of whole foods can be beneficial.

Fruit SHOULD NOT be avoided and DOES NOT slow weight loss.

I completely agree, not because I know it's right but because it's the only thing that makes sense. I've done low carb, I've done no sugar, I've done high fiber. The thing that's been keeping me the most satisfied while continueing to lose weight is another calorie and nutrition tracker site and now myfitnesspal calorie and nutrient tracker. I'm not eating high sugar, fried foods, etc because then I'll go over my calorie goal and stall the weight loss or reverse it.

I don't view that as bad, it's just what would happen if I go over my calorie goals. (At least I'm telling myself I don't view that as bad, of course with all the messages we get from each other and the media it's a struggle even to do that.)

If I do only eat fast foods or fried foods, then I'll be able to eat only a quarter of what I currently eat in a day and will have no nutrients to show for it.

That's not saying I don't crave them, but I'll use you guys, family and friends to stay away from them as long as I can, or to keep going with health goals if I let them in once and a while. (Easier said than done... but I'm doing it.)
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    http://www.nowloss.com/foods-not-to-eat-when-trying-to-lose-weight-dieting.htm

This article lists alcohol and coffee as foods to never eat?? Whateve's.
    I drink my coffee without sugar everyday and Bacardi and Sprite Zero on most days and I'm still losing!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I would say...

1. Arsenic
    2. Bleach
    3. Glass
    4. Rat Poison
    5. Bananas

So... No rat poison?!? Now what am I supposed to eat for lunch?
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    no rat poison what about my warfarin - cant I have rat poison for medical reasons :):):)
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I think the reasoning for bananas could be related to the amount of pesticides that are absorbed into the fruit itself and the kinds of pesticides which are used where they are grown. I've heard that bananas are one of the worst foods when it comes to pesticides, though I can't cite any sources.

EDIT:
    I found this:http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/eat-organic-foods.html, and this: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/pesticides.htm

Not sure on the authenticity or anything, but it's definitely up there.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The only things I avoid are trans fats, and I watch my sodium intake also. Honestly, if you learn to cook and prepare your own meals with fresh ingredients, you can cook almost anything and fit it in your calories for the day (with portion control obviously).

As long as you are below your calorie goal on a daily basis, you will lose weight. (barring medical issues)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want. Just don't eat too much of it.

Love,

Contrarian xo
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It is funny you posted this because I was going to ask about it too....I think the thing with the bananas is lame....I mean really....you'd have to consume them like it was your business to have it be of any great effect.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you are satisfying your protein and fat needs, whatever calories are left you could eat whatever you wanted within your calorie goal. There is no one food that you need to avoid. Dr. Oz does have some neat things he does on his show, but I would never take his advice to heart. Green tea to reduce belly fat? Maybe help reduce body fat but there is no way to spot reduce. Just say in a calorie deficit, meet your protein / fat needs and in time you'll lose body fat. It takes some time though.

Marketing is a huge part of anything Dr. Oz related.
  • brooksaceb
    brooksaceb Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    the top 5 tastiest calorie dense foods to eat...

(1) Chocolate!
    (2) Burgers.
    (3) Fries.
    (4) Pizza.
    (5) Cheese. (I think..).

Fixed

thank god i almost panicked :tongue:
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    white foods
    white bread