Zombie survival club

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Oooh...first time seeing this thread and I LOVE it!

Hmmm....

I run a sub 10 minute mile.
    I can easily do 100 push ups and crunches in a row
    I can easily carry a 40 pound pack (I hike)
    I can shoot a very nice 6 shot grouping (thanks Dad for teaching me to use a shot gun at age 8)

And yes....I love zombie movies! Lol. Should the zombie apocalypse happen...I am well prepared...not just physically...I have plenty of weapons as well.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I already love everyone here. I'm a huge zombie fanatic. My brother and I always talk about survival strategies. I really need to get in shape because my house can not be fortified against a zombie attack. I will have to run/fight my way into a safe area.

I'm actually working very hard to lose the weight I gained from my pregnancy. Is it too soon to train my 1 year old for the inevitable apocalypse ? Lol

Feel free to add me as a friend!

Welcome to the club. I love that this is your first post!
  • hroush
    Options

Hmmm....

I can shoot a very nice 6 shot grouping (thanks Dad for teaching me to use a shot gun at age 8)

And yes....I love zombie movies! Lol. Should the zombie apocalypse happen...I am well prepared...not just physically...I have plenty of weapons as well.

And thus we have found our group trainer. :laugh:
  • hroush
    Options
    I was just wondering how to make a zombie survivor forum and here you guys are besting me. Can I join I promise to run fast and punch hard.

Come on in, we are well stocked and ready to rock.
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    This is too funny, This morning I was just trying to motivate myself to pick one goal and follow through I coundn't decide between running which I have tried and failed miserably over and over again or pushups, I swear to you I was trying to convince myself of which was better and needed to be fulfilled first, then I thought running I want to be able to out run a natural disaster ( or at least have a chance to outrun one), alien invasion or and yes thanks to my 9 yr. old son Zombie attack came to mind I think it's far better to be able to outrun these things then drop and give them 20.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Hmmm....

Aww...shucks...I'm certain someone is much better than I am, lol. But thank you for the compliment...best one I've had yet.
  • hroush
    Options

Hmmm....

Aww...shucks...I'm certain someone is much better than I am, lol. But thank you for the compliment...best one I've had yet.

:flowerforyou: I can run a mile in 7 minutes and carry the 40 lb pack, but you definitely have me on the others. The accurate shooting I would definitely deem most important.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Heh! My entry for http://zombies101.tumblr.com/ got accepted. Title: Is your body ready?
  • doingit4myprincesses
    doingit4myprincesses Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This has to be the coolest club I have seen on here!!! Anyone who wants to add me feel free!!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Im glad people are joining, ZOMBIES ARE NOT FORGOTTEN haha...

Today I ran 5k in 32mins, Im so freaking happy!!! YAY!
    Once I finish moving my apartment, Ill get back to strength training, I cant find the time now... but I didnt give up on running hehe!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It is about time people took up the fight against the impending zombie attacks. I for one have been a fan of the zombie genre about as long as I have been alive. I will be there fighting to the bitter end for the survival of all humanity!!
  • hroush
    Options

Once I finish moving my apartment, Ill get back to strength training, I cant find the time now... but I didnt give up on running hehe!

Nicely done. I'll be moving in a month, which will throw a huge wrench in my training as I won't have a gym to go to. I want the equipment I need at home, but I don't know how fast I'll be able to get it (craigslisting in a small town).

I'm closing in on my goal of a 5k in 26 minutes (8 min/mile pace). I'm sure I could do it now, but I'm currently running right after my lifting, which makes running interesting on my squat and deadlift day. My best so far is 2.75 miles in 22 minutes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm stepping the Zombie Survival training up a notch and finally hitting the weights at the gym.

I know I can do serious damage to the undead swinging an ax, but I want to be able to swing it more than once.
  • Black_Swan
    Options

Nicely done. I'll be moving in a month, which will throw a huge wrench in my training as I won't have a gym to go to. I want the equipment I need at home, but I don't know how fast I'll be able to get it (craigslisting in a small town).

I'm closing in on my goal of a 5k in 26 minutes (8 min/mile pace). I'm sure I could do it now, but I'm currently running right after my lifting, which makes running interesting on my squat and deadlift day. My best so far is 2.75 miles in 22 minutes.

Ahhh, 5k in 26mins, sounds like sci fi for me haha.. but Im sure one day, Ill get there! There is supposed to be a good gym close to my next apartment, its even a little cheaper than the Im going to now... good luck!
  • Black_Swan
    Options
    I'm stepping the Zombie Survival training up a notch and finally hitting the weights at the gym.

I know I can do serious damage to the undead swinging an ax, but I want to be able to swing it more than once.

Haha I agree! You will see, lifting is so worth it, I love that sense of accomplishment when I move on to the heavier :)
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    One of my secret motivations for getting fit has been to prepare for "Z Day" and I'm glad I've found this thread.

A couple of things I'd like to point out though; If you're relying on a Gym or weight machines/sets to get yourself in shape, how are you going to lug all of that stuff with you to KEEP FIT once the apocalypse begins? So, with that in mind I've been looking at things like "Convict Conditioning" by Paul "Coach" Wade; basically it's body weight exercises/"old school" calisthenics, the kinds of things people did before the invention of plates and machines. So far it seems interesting and a worthy workout.

But, as has been repeatedly said throughout this forum (and elsewhere on the 'net) cardio is king when it comes to Zombie evasion. A lot of people I see are doing programs like C25K to get them started (I'm in this group too!) but how far/fast can you move with a pack of supplies? It's important to remember that running 5k in <30 minutes is great if it's just you and your iPod/mp3 player/smartphone, but your speed/endurance is definitely going to suffer if you have to carry more gear so it's a good idea to start incorporating things like a weighted vest or backpack into your cardio routine as soon as you feel comfortable doing so.

For my fellow Zombie Survival enthusiasts I highly recommend "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead" by Max Brooks (as well as "World War Z" by the same author), I've read the survival guide cover to cover and I'm just starting on WWZ now (about 60 pages in, hard to put it down but sleep is a requirement!) There are numerous Zombie and general emergency survival guides out there and I recommend everyone gather as much knowledge on the subjects as possible.

Count me in as a survivor and I look forward to seeing everyone's success! Now to find my backpack so I can toss some weights in it for an added challenge on my runs! :D
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah... 2nd Fit Test was last night (for New Rules Of Working out For Insane Zombie Survival).

My results: http://nrowfizs.blogspot.com/2011/07/day-16-fit-test-2-kate.html
    Smersh's results: http://nrowfizs.blogspot.com/2011/07/day-16-fit-test-2-scott_20.html

Anyone can do this... don't need Insanity or weights if you have imagination.
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    Oh yeah... 2nd Fit Test was last night (for New Rules Of Working out For Insane Zombie Survival).

My results: http://nrowfizs.blogspot.com/2011/07/day-16-fit-test-2-kate.html
    Smersh's results: http://nrowfizs.blogspot.com/2011/07/day-16-fit-test-2-scott_20.html

Anyone can do this... don't need Insanity or weights if you have imagination.
    I actually just found your blog yesterday and I've been looking over the information you've got on there. Excellent resource but I wish there was an explanation of some of the workouts as I don't have the New Rules of Lifting: for Women and can't afford a copy at this time. Oh well, I'm sure copyright law prevents you from doing such and I wouldn't want you to get in trouble for that!! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I can get a copy of the book. :D As for Insanity, I've got a friend with it and they're willing to let me borrow it whenever necessary. :D
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty strong for the up close Zombie combat situations; but I don't think they can outrun, very small objects traveling at 3200 f.p.s. :explode:
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    I'm pretty strong for the up close Zombie combat situations; but I don't think they can outrun, very small objects traveling at 3200 f.p.s. :explode:
    Remember, it must be a head-shot or it might as well be a miss.... Unless you're just trying to slow them down to get away, then blasting out knees, ankles, hips, or the spine can also work.