Some MFP Basics

Options

Replies

• caretmier
    caretmier Posts: 66
    Options
    Okay, just for my understanding...

My first 4 pounds lost came off pretty easy, and then I have been stuck for about a week and the last 2 days I was tired. I thought yesterday and this morning that maybe I am not eating enough. I have been trying to not eat my 1200 calories a day because I didnt want to maintain my weight, as I have 50 pounds to lose.

So are you saying, I need to eat my allotted 1200 calories and then some if i have a huge burn? I was going for a high deficit everyday, so if my workout was small I would eat less (sometimes a lot less) than 1200 calories so I could have a deficit.

But, MFP has already calculated that eating 1200 calories for my lightly active lifestyle will help me lose weight and I dont need to adjust it anymore? I was shooting for like a 400-500 calorie deficit each day. I am going to stop doing that and eat my 1200 calories and get my energy back and hopefully get back on track of losing weight!

Thanks for the post, and typing this out just helped me clarify things in my mind, so tell me if i am way off base on where I am heading!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Okay, just for my understanding...

My first 4 pounds lost came off pretty easy, and then I have been stuck for about a week and the last 2 days I was tired. I thought yesterday and this morning that maybe I am not eating enough. I have been trying to not eat my 1200 calories a day because I didnt want to maintain my weight, as I have 50 pounds to lose.

So are you saying, I need to eat my allotted 1200 calories and then some if i have a huge burn? I was going for a high deficit everyday, so if my workout was small I would eat less (sometimes a lot less) than 1200 calories so I could have a deficit.

But, MFP has already calculated that eating 1200 calories for my lightly active lifestyle will help me lose weight and I dont need to adjust it anymore? I was shooting for like a 400-500 calorie deficit each day. I am going to stop doing that and eat my 1200 calories and get my energy back and hopefully get back on track of losing weight!

Thanks for the post, and typing this out just helped me clarify things in my mind, so tell me if i am way off base on where I am heading!

Yes, MFP has already calculated the deficit for you (as long as you chose something other than "maintain current weight" in your loss per week goal) - if you eat under cal goal, you're making the deficit larger and a large deficit will often backfire. Your NET calories (on home page) should always be at least 1200. Just aim for your cal goals and let MFP do the work for you. :wink:
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    bump
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great information, thank you so much for posting it. I've been a little confused about some stuff but this sent me in all the right directions to figure things out and answered a ton of my questions.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Great information, thank you so much for posting it. I've been a little confused about some stuff but this sent me in all the right directions to figure things out and answered a ton of my questions.

Glad it helped! Good luck reaching your goals. :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    Options

Thanks, beautiful!! Awesome on the 60 pounds in 60 days, it's allllllll about the marketing :laugh: I'm off to read the second one, but I wanted to bump this first.:flowerforyou:
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Great info, thx for the post :smile:
  • blueillusion3
    blueillusion3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    thanks!
    Bump :)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Thanks, beautiful!! Awesome on the 60 pounds in 60 days, it's allllllll about the marketing :laugh: I'm off to read the second one, but I wanted to bump this first.:flowerforyou:

If I ever write a book on weight loss................... :devil:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    bump!!! Great reminder as always and it is starting to make sense and sink in. Thanks.
  • sswift76
    sswift76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to have found someone with so much knowledge of this program! Thank you!! My name is Susan. I am 34 years old and have 5 children (!). I have fought with my weight for my entire life, going from unhealthy practices to trying to be healthy. Each time I had a child inevitably I would gain weight and find myself fighting to get it off. I have been working hard and want to lose 10-15 pounds to get to my goal. Now that we are defintitely done having children I am doing my best at nutrition and excercise. I want to be a good example to my kids, especially my 2 daughters who are at vulnerable ages for selfesteem (15 and 12), and I haven't been the best role model at times. I am so glad to have found this site....I started on Tuesday and I love it so far!!!

I have a question you might be able to answer for me.....Is it best to stay at a happy medium as far as "eating" your excercize calories? For instance, eating some, not all?? Or is it fine to not eat them?? I appreciate any info you have!!!

Thanks!,
    Susan
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to have found someone with so much knowledge of this program! Thank you!! My name is Susan. I am 34 years old and have 5 children (!). I have fought with my weight for my entire life, going from unhealthy practices to trying to be healthy. Each time I had a child inevitably I would gain weight and find myself fighting to get it off. I have been working hard and want to lose 10-15 pounds to get to my goal. Now that we are defintitely done having children I am doing my best at nutrition and excercise. I want to be a good example to my kids, especially my 2 daughters who are at vulnerable ages for selfesteem (15 and 12), and I haven't been the best role model at times. I am so glad to have found this site....I started on Tuesday and I love it so far!!!

I have a question you might be able to answer for me.....Is it best to stay at a happy medium as far as "eating" your excercize calories? For instance, eating some, not all?? Or is it fine to not eat them?? I appreciate any info you have!!!

Thanks!,

Susan

Susan, Welcome! With ten to fifteen pounds to lose, you need to eat all your exercise calories. You already are at a deficit by using this program.

You cannot afford to bypass the exercise calories. If you had a lot to lose, you could.

This will help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Thanks!,

Susan

Susan, Welcome! With ten to fifteen pounds to lose, you need to eat all your exercise calories. You already are at a deficit by using this program.

You cannot afford to bypass the exercise calories. If you had a lot to lose, you could.

This will help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

This^^^. :wink:

When you have very little fat stores, you need a conservative deficit. If you're concerned about overestimating your burns, my best advice is to get a good HRM. If you can't do that right now, then just sort of experiment - eat them all back for at least a month and see how it goes. If the overal trend isn't going down, then cut back to eating 1/2. But for someone in your situation, I wouldn't recommend not eating any of them.
  • sswift76
    sswift76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! :) I will try shaking things up a bit.....I never mind having to eat more! ;)
  • Evjones28
    Evjones28 Posts: 70
    Options
    Great post, lady :happy:
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    :drinker: