Brides on a Mission: Week 10

Options
12346»

Replies

• JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    okay soo I know I am a little late on this but I am planning on using my breaks to do things and try to be a little active while here (in casse something happens and I cant do something at home) soooooo right now I have walked for 7 min and did 10 push ups soooo when you do those challenges like the 100 push ups and 100 squats and planks (is that where u just get on ur arms and stay there or is there something more??) how do you log those in on here?? or do you not log those???
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Finally catching up on the correct week, at least!:-D

becky11785 – I hate it when you think you picked a great meal at a restaurant and you find out you blew your whole day’s worth of calories doing it. I was frustrated this week because we had a gift card for Red Robbin. There’s practically NOTHING healthy there. My burger alone was 900 calories. INSANE! I did the prep work too by looking at their menu online. Don’t eat there, it’s a killer! OMG how do you drink 18 glasses of water? My bladder would explode!*LOL* I’m lucky if I even get the eight, but I keep trying!

gainskb – Your post about snowboarding was really interesting. I’ve never skied or snowboarded before. Do you have any recommendations for someone interested in learning either? Also, you scare the crap out of me with the condom thing. My fiancé and I feel like if we have sex, we’ll get pregnant so we just don’t have faith in the condoms not breaking. I’m on the nuvaring now, but I’ve been having lots of headaches (today included). I wish there was a better option, but I’ll be checking back in with my gyno in August so I figure I’ll just put up with it for now. My fiancé and I decided to wait until we’re married to consummate the relationship. It’s tough (especially now that we’re living together), but he’s been really sweet about it. I’m kind of an old fashioned girl, so I figure what better wedding gift can I give him, but by giving him my (and believe it or not!?) his first time!! We’re both 30, so I guess we’re old farts about this.:-D

vanrunninggirl – Welcome to the forum! In all honesty, I’m not trying to get super scary skinny for my wedding. I’d just like to be at a more healthy weight. If I get there, I’ll be extremely happy, but if I’m close I can deal with that too!

wannabrn10 – Harry Potter World. Is it the Florida or California Disney?*confused* We’ll be going to the Florida one, but I’m a HUGE Harry Potter fan…. Speak of which, does anyone know if the Deathly Hallows Part 1 is out on DVD? I didn’t get to the theatre to see it.

JulieSue – Welcome to the forum. My roommate was a sign language interpreter major so I ended up picking a smidge up here and there. It was also kind of fun to try having conversation with her deaf friends.:-)

Shannon
  • elkmel
    elkmel Posts: 24
    Options
    Checking in again after my weigh-in this morning - lost 2.6 lbs. this week! Couldn't believe it, but SO happy to see some new (and lower!) numbers on the scale!

http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/low-fat-spinach-artichoke-lasagna/

This is the closest I could find to one of my favorite healthy dishes to make!

FH and I actually ended up making up our own version (not knowing there are a ton of recipes for it already!) when we didn't
    have all of the typical lasagna ingredients. We both love spinach leaves for our salads, but somehow we always end up forgetting about it before we can eat it all - SO whenever that happens, we just cook the spinach and put it in a dish like this :) We had a can of artichoke hearts (if you have to get the canned kind, rinse them really well, because if not they are realllly salty!) We skipped the ricotta and just used low fat shredded mozzarella with a low fat pasta sauce! We try to buy only whole wheat noodles, so we had some of those on hand, as well.

This is a really delicious dish, hope some of you ladies will give it a try! :)
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Finally catching up on the correct week, at least!:-D

becky11785 – I hate it when you think you picked a great meal at a restaurant and you find out you blew your whole day’s worth of calories doing it. I was frustrated this week because we had a gift card for Red Robbin. There’s practically NOTHING healthy there. My burger alone was 900 calories. INSANE! I did the prep work too by looking at their menu online. Don’t eat there, it’s a killer! OMG how do you drink 18 glasses of water? My bladder would explode!*LOL* I’m lucky if I even get the eight, but I keep trying!

gainskb – Your post about snowboarding was really interesting. I’ve never skied or snowboarded before. Do you have any recommendations for someone interested in learning either? Also, you scare the crap out of me with the condom thing. My fiancé and I feel like if we have sex, we’ll get pregnant so we just don’t have faith in the condoms not breaking. I’m on the nuvaring now, but I’ve been having lots of headaches (today included). I wish there was a better option, but I’ll be checking back in with my gyno in August so I figure I’ll just put up with it for now. My fiancé and I decided to wait until we’re married to consummate the relationship. It’s tough (especially now that we’re living together), but he’s been really sweet about it. I’m kind of an old fashioned girl, so I figure what better wedding gift can I give him, but by giving him my (and believe it or not!?) his first time!! We’re both 30, so I guess we’re old farts about this.:-D

For Red Robin - you just need to play around with their web nutrition tool and take certain things off of the burgers to make them healthier. I usually get funny looks when I order it but my favorite is the Red Robin California Chicken Burger. I get it with no mayo, no cheese, no bacon and no pickles which makes it 450 calories.

I actually started off skiing in highschool and then in college decided to try snowboarding. I had a cute guy friend teach me. He was ridiculously good so he was a great teacher and he basically taught me by lining our boards up and holding my waist and just going down the mountain with me. Now unless your fiance is a good snowboarder I wouldn't suggest this method because it might upset him :-P. Personally I think that snowboarding is much easier than skiing. The biggest thing is to have confidence. The more scared you are the more you'll fall. Also, getting the right size board makes a huge difference and you should always go for shorter if given the choice because shorter boards are easier to learn on and control. The other important thing is to go multiple times a year or else you really won't get any better.

As for the condoms, I feel like they are more safe/effective because they have the same success rate of birth control but without the "did i take it at the same time every day and not forget one" scariness. Also I get headaches a lot already so I just don't feel like putting my body through the testing of different BC options. Once we're married, FH and I plan to have two kids back to back (about a year or so after the wedding) and then one of us will be getting "fixed" haha.

That's great that the two of you have kept your promise to yourselves and will have that specialness on your wedding night! That's not very common these days.
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    wannabrn10 – Harry Potter World. Is it the Florida or California Disney?*confused* We’ll be going to the Florida one, but I’m a HUGE Harry Potter fan…. Speak of which, does anyone know if the Deathly Hallows Part 1 is out on DVD? I didn’t get to the theatre to see it.

The Harry Potter World is in Florida. I never remember which one of disney world and disney land lol
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    I forgot about this recipe...it is a family fav!!

Roasted red pepper and almond dip
    3tbs slices almonds, toasted
    1 12oz jar raosted red peppers, rinsed, drained, patted dry
    1 slice firm whole wheat bread
    1 garlic clove, peeled
    2 tsp balsamic vinager
    1 1/2 tsp EVOO
    1/8 tsp cayenne

Combine all ingredients in a food processer or blender until smooth. Good for about 5 days in the fridge. Makes 4 servings.

I have it with veggies or pita chips or even spead it on sandwhiches for some extra flavor.

Nutrition: cal 64, carbs 7, fat 3, protein 2, fiber 1, sodium 113
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    I am so excited!!! I ordered our cake topper today and it is the cutest thing ever!!

CAKE+topper.jpg

Cinderella and Prince Charming!!

I don't care if that's childish.. I am a Disney princess at heart, we're having a Disney honeymoon and, basically, I am obsessed with all things Disney.

It was $60, but they sell for $150 on the Disney Store website. Which is absolutely crazy. There's no way I would pay that much for it!! I really wanted to get the Beauty and the Beast one (I've always wanted to play Belle on Broadway. It's my absolute favorite!!), but I couldn't find that anywhere for less than $125 :-( Which seems ridiculous for a cake topper!!

Anyways, thought I'd share!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am so excited!!! I ordered our cake topper today and it is the cutest thing ever!!

CAKE+topper.jpg

I don't care if that's childish.. I am a Disney princess at heart, we're having a Disney honeymoon and, basically, I am obsessed with all things Disney.

It was $60, but they sell for $150 on the Disney Store website. Which is absolutely crazy. There's no way I would pay that much for it!! I really wanted to get the Beauty and the Beast one (I've always wanted to play Belle on Broadway. It's my absolute favorite!!), but I couldn't find that anywhere for less than $125 :-( Which seems ridiculous for a cake topper!!

It's really cute!!! I love Disney!
  • dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    Options

CAKE+topper.jpg

It's really cute!!! I love Disney!

I agree! It is really cute! Great job at getting a good deal too!
  • dragonfarie
    Options
    I have TWO favorites :)

This first one, Honey-Jalapeno Chicken is AMAZING but it is spicy spicy so keep that in mind ( I put some extra jalapenos in it the first time i made it and literally had to go get a spoon full of sour cream! Its so delicious though and i love the cilantro. yummmm makes me want to make it right now.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/honey-jalapeno-chicken-with-sesame-soba-noodles-recipe/index.html
    i made it and put it over rice (BF is not a big noodle person

The second one is not spicy if you make it as listed, but i like a little kick so i put some chili sesame oil in it along with the regular sesame oil. again very good :) You can make it with pork chops OR chicken (I've done it both ways and it is delicious.) Wit this one as well, I make it sometimes as just the main dish (no noodles) and pair it with other sides.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/orange-sesame-pork-chops-with-teriyaki-whole-wheat-noodles-recipe/index.html
    Sorry both are asianish - i know its not everyones thing. i like it for that fact in that a lot of the chinese food i used to eat is just tooo bad for me to have anymore. I hope you all enjoy them :))

Both of those recipes sound amazing! I think you would like one of my personal favs.

the sauce is real easy: 1 part Louisiana hot sauce, 1 part soy sauce (i use reduced sodium) and 1 part honey. Simmer until desired thickness. (for less spice use less hot sauce)

I pour that over stir-fried chicken and veggies and some rice. It is so yummy. The spiciness works perfectly with the sweetness of the honey.

Ohhhhh that does sound good! What brand loisiana hot sauce do you like?
    I use The Original Louisiana Hot Sauce brand. I also usually use 1/3 cup parts for the sauce and cook the chicken with ginger and garlic seasonings. Yum :)
  • dragonfarie
    Options
    I forgot about this recipe...it is a family fav!!

Roasted red pepper and almond dip
    3tbs slices almonds, toasted
    1 12oz jar raosted red peppers, rinsed, drained, patted dry
    1 slice firm whole wheat bread
    1 garlic clove, peeled
    2 tsp balsamic vinager
    1 1/2 tsp EVOO
    1/8 tsp cayenne

Combine all ingredients in a food processer or blender until smooth. Good for about 5 days in the fridge. Makes 4 servings.

I have it with veggies or pita chips or even spead it on sandwhiches for some extra flavor.

Nutrition: cal 64, carbs 7, fat 3, protein 2, fiber 1, sodium 113
    That sounds yummy!
  • heels24
    heels24 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here's my fav. It's from Bethenny Frankel. Seriously every recipe of hers I've ever made has been fantastic! Here's her recipe for guilt-free fries.

Ingredients
    4 baking potatoes cut into wedges (leave skin on)
    4 teaspoons olive oil
    1⁄2 teaspoon salt
    1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
    1⁄2 teaspoon paprika =
    4 servings of French fries, 202 calories each

Directions
    Rather than deep-fry potatoes, toss them in oil, sprinkle with spices, and bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until crisp. Oh, so good—and just about half the calories of regular fries.
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    Here's my fav. It's from Bethenny Frankel. Seriously every recipe of hers I've ever made has been fantastic! Here's her recipe for guilt-free fries.

Ingredients
    4 baking potatoes cut into wedges (leave skin on)
    4 teaspoons olive oil
    1⁄2 teaspoon salt
    1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
    1⁄2 teaspoon paprika =
    4 servings of French fries, 202 calories each

Directions
    Rather than deep-fry potatoes, toss them in oil, sprinkle with spices, and bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until crisp. Oh, so good—and just about half the calories of regular fries.

I love doing this! Sometimes french fries can be so heavy and ugh...but this is great. Thanks for sharing!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a little stressed and happy at the same time this week. I got into graduate school for my English MA, but am afraid to go because of the reforms going on for teachers. I don’t want to make myself a target of being too rich for the school district’s blood or, if I’d get furloughed and decide I want to leave, I don’t want to make myself unmarketable for another job. Yet, working my way up to the English PhD has always been my dream…. What’s a girl to do?! I have to schedule by the end of the month and classes start immediately after I get back from the honeymoon. I have to drive out twice a week…. a three hour drive one way! Not sure how to swing that, but I don’t want to be apart from Dan too much either since we’ll be newlyweds and all!;-)

Greenpianokeys – My fiancé and I will have Hopper tickets for Disney when we go with his parents this December. But Harry Potter world is in Universal Studios and that’s considered to be a completely separate park, isn’t it? I also purchased a swimsuit for our honeymoon, since I know there will be hot tubs and swimming pools on our cruise ship. I bought the purple paisley one listed at Victoria’s Secret’s website. I figured it would be more supportive than the cheapo-Walmart ones I’ve been buying. My boobs always feel like they’re hanging down to my toes!*LOL* I never lose weight on them, it seems, so I’m sure the suit will still fit decently in three months.

wannabrn10 - I saw that you want pomanders for your wedding. Are you going for real or fakes? I got pretty ivory colored ones from Oriental Trading online for cheap! They’re nice sized and don’t look cheesy. I think they also advertised them in red and white… not sure of your colors though.

kstoller2 – I don’t think a 10am brunch for a shower is too early. A brunch is supposed to be breakfast and lunch, so you don’t want to make it too late either! I’d like the idea of something like this. You have the party, and then you still have time to do other things in the afternoon as well. Very respectful idea for the people who will be invited!

becky11785 – I’m definitely trying the Honey-Jalapeño Chicken recipe. I love spicy!

Gainskb – I know what you mean about longing for that wedding band! Dan and I picked ours out before Christmas and I love mine! It has a swirly, paisley-like pattern embedded into the white gold, with tiny specs of diamonds spaced throughout. I didn’t want big, since my fiancé helped me design a custom engagement ring, I still wanted it to remain the main focus. I’m excited because the engravings are going to be a secret until our wedding day. The jewelers is keeping them and my parents are picking them up the morning of the ceremony. I wonder what Dan wrote in his! I put “With all my heart” and our date 6.18.11.

Shannon
  • redruthie
    redruthie Posts: 77
    Options

Have you been to Harry Potter world? I went there last summer. It was awesome! I did think it was a little small though. But you burn a ton of cal getting there because it is at the very back of the park!

No I haven't been! I want to go soooo bad! I am a Harry Potter junkie! I lllooovvee the books and (most of) the movies! I heard from a co-worker the same thing - that it felt a bit small. I can't wait to go but it probably won't be for another year at least... can't complain though... the reason would be we have no PTO remaining but that's because we'll be in Hawaii for 10 days following our wedding :-)

I love Harry Potter! Harry Potter world is officially on my "to-do" list after our wedding.
    @gainskb- That's great about being in Hawaii following your wedding. Which island will you be visiting.
    For my wedding, we will be getting married on Oahu and our honeymoon will be on Kauai! I can't wait!
  • redruthie
    redruthie Posts: 77
    Options
    Brides on a Mission: week 8 (Please copy and paste this into your profile)

1. Weight loss/inches lost this week: CW: 254.5 which brings me to 15.5 lbs. lossed.

2. Highlight of the past week: (not weight, just something exciting that happened): We found a wedding service that we really like on Oahu, HI to perform our beach wedding.
    Also, I played a doubles tennis match yesterday and we WON! It felt great :)

3. Lowlight of the past week (not weight, just something that you need support with): it was a pretty good week :)

4. What types/colors of flowers will you be having: Plumeria flowers
    Photoon2011-02-13at1356.jpg
    I will be using fake flowers. I got them off ebay. I figured that since I will be getting married in Hawaii where it's warm and humid, having real flowers would be a flower wilting massacre! lol! I love the fake plumeria flowers! They don't seem fake. Plus, I can have them forever!

5. Any wedding news updates: same as #2

6. When you eat out, do you have any “dos” and “don’ts”: I normally stick to a rule of thumb of everything in moderation. I try to avoid items with lots of cheese

7. Do you use weights in your workout routine: Yes. I have a MFP friend who informed me of the importance of using weights or strength training. She lost 10 lbs, but it was 10 lbs in muscle mass! I was astonished at her findings, so ever since then I try to use weights or some type of strength training in my workout routine.

8. How did you do with the week 9 challenge (100 push-ups, sit-ups, squats): I missed it. I was MIA last week due to a horrible cold! UGH!

9. Weekly wrap up: It was a good week.
  • lynnellec
    lynnellec Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @sweet13_princess-- Harry Potter is at Universal's Islands of Adventure off of International Drive and is about 15-20 minutes away from Disney World depending on traffic on I-4. Have fun at Disney World!! We hope to go back one day since I interned at Disney in college. I totally recommend checking out the fireworks show at MGM Studios! Amazing!! Oh and the best time to see the animals on the safari ride at Animal Kingdom is in the morning. And the best thing I learned working there is that sometimes the "fastpass" option for some rides is not always fast! Lol!
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    on to the next week!