What is your heritage

Options
Do you follow any traditions? I'm Irish/Italian, but basically just eat lots of pasta and drink lots of beer. :drinker:

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Cajun...lots of rice, seafood, really good sausage, did I mention rice? LOL
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    Haha, I just moved to Cajun country.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I'm born here, my mother is born here, but both my mother and father are of Chinese descent.
    I pretty much take my shoes off inside the house - LOL - but food-wise, we were raised to eat a lot of fruits and veggies.
    I guess I'm also used to drinking my tea w/o milk or sugar, unless it's chai.
    My folks are not religious types, so most of our family reunions and celebrations are centered around FOOD, rather than religious rituals.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    italian! pasta with a side of pasta was pretty much my diet growing up...would explain a lot...
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Native American---FRY BREAD, YUMMMM!!!!!!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Scottish/Irish/English....but I love asian food, lol. Other than a Guiness or some Drambuie....I'm not too keen on any of my 'heritage' foods, lol.
  • jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    English Irish Scottish. I like to drink
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    My kids are part Irish,so I have been making corn beef and cabbage for over 30 years.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Japanese and German... Both sides hate me, I am considered an abomination and none of them ever let me forget that when I was growing up.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Mostly Hungarian... don't have any good dishes though. bummer.
  • Sirhijinx
    Sirhijinx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a mutt... Scottish/Irish/English/German and a bit of Indian I've been told.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Peasant...Boiled veg with a side of tongue/scrapple/organ meat, anyone?

Lots of cabbage, potato, beets, carrots....... Lentils cooked with ham bone...
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    maltese... family gets together for spaghetti and rabbit dinners- i skip the rabbit lol
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1/4 Japanese
    1/4 Filipino
    1/8 Irish
    1/8 English
    1/8 Italian
    1/8 Russian

So...every food on the planet? That's my problem, I think. Plus I live in Arizona where Mexican food is available on every corner.
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Filipina....have to have rice w/ every meal...and yes that even means breakfast.... shoot rice can even be made as the main dish just fry it up with garlic and some salt...maybe even stir in an egg..and there's lunch
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wish could say convict.....but that wouldn't be true.

My great grandparents immigrated to Australia, so Sweedish on my mother's side, English / German on my father's side.....but food here (at least for my family) is all about Asia, especially Thai. Lemongrass, ginger, chilli, stir fries, red curries......yum.
  • bpdai
    bpdai Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welch and Irish, but we have been in the US since the 1600's so the influence is pretty well gone. Recent ancestors from the hills of Kentucky so that pretty well defines "ethnic food" in my house.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    My mother is Korean, and all of her grandchildren refer to her as "Halmony" which is Korean for "grandmother", and my sister and I each go by the Korean words for "aunt" when it comes to nieces and nephews. The granddaughters (my daughter and my niece) also wore the traditional Korean hanbok on their 1st birthdays. We eat LOTS of Korean food, or rather I used to eat a lot of it before MFP (hello sodium!), and my 4 year old's favorite snack is dried seaweed. I grew up eating white rice with everything - steak, hot dogs, smoked sausage, etc... - and didn't know it was considered weird until my husband pointed it out to me, lol. Garlic is in just about everything I cook.

My dad's side is polish. I can't think of any traditions, but we don't know that side of the family very well.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My father's family are Indian, my mother is a mixture of English, Irish and Welsh.

I love traditional British foods, and I'm trying to perfect a low calorie, vegan, full-English breakfast. So far, I've got baked tomatoes and mushrooms, homemade baked beans (so much better than from a tin, seriously), toast, and vegan sausages. I've yet to get the hang of hash browns, let alone come up with a low cal version.

...idea! Grated potato, microwaved, mixed with a dash of french salad dressing for zinginess, sprayed with oil and baked. I wonder if that would work? Must try it.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Irish and Sicilian! Pasta, pizza, cheese, cannoli, beer, wine....ugh YUM!!!!