What is your heritage

Options

Replies

• Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    @elcyclista I do have some Hispanic people on my FL here on MFP :)

re: traditions we might follow..
    I second LoopyToucan in that I do not ever wear shoes in my home....this just seems like a good practice for cleanliness anyway!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am Indian as both of my parents are from India and moved here in 79 and my brother and I were both born and raised in New Jersey.... (ya ya let the jokes out now)
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    @elcyclista I do have some Hispanic people on my FL here on MFP :)

oooh. XD Good to know I'm not alone haha.
  • trinityxoxox
    trinityxoxox Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    pure bred Aussie here, so I love my seafood. Which is bad for my waistline, I only have it... on the odd occasions. lol. Other then that sometimes pizza, but I like to make my own these days, and since being at my parents place its a variety of foods. Tonight its Chicken Curry yummo :)
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    We are native american but my mom was just american when it can to cooking lol, cuts of meat, hot dogs, mac n cheese, tons of potatoes and pasta dishes (they feed more ppl lol).
  • tifanieb
    tifanieb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am a classic american mutt.....Dutch Irish Polish and American Indian (cherokee). I love to cook and am always inventing new recipes....downside is they are never the healthiest....good tasting.....but go straight to the waistline....i do chineese, american, southern comfort, and mexican food the best!!! and there in lies the problems with my weight!!!
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am mostly German with a little Irish thrown in. I don't typically do anything but wear something green on St.Patrick's Day so that I don't get pinched.
  • nadiakim
    nadiakim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All the muts in the house say Hey!!! They call me heniz 57. My dad is Arabic from Syria, so I also grew up with a lot of rice and bread at the table and some healthy foods, but carbs carbs and more carbs. My mom is a mutt,scottish/irish/black/native american (Occeneechi) just say she is black though, cause it makes it easier. But as speaking earlier a lot of my upbringing was around my dads family, mom is an only child and didnt have much family around, but we did go visit family in the country who prepared fried chicken potato salad, and greens. Mom makes those from time to time as I was growing up.

My husband is Korean and my aupair who takes care of my kids is Thai, so these days we eat a LOT of Korean and Thai food. Yum YUM, I have to really portion my rice though so I can keep within my calories. The most middle eastern items I will have are more on the healthy side though like hummos and lebne(yougurt) but not much. : )
  • appleshells
    appleshells Posts: 165
    Options
    Ukranian/german. I could live on pirogies.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Northern Irish.... supposed to have a staple diet of spuds, soda bread and alcohol!

I dont' drink at all now, although 2 years ago I could have drank anyone under the table, and I HATE potatoes unless chipped or roasted! I do, however, love soda bread :laugh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    scottish german mexican norwegian mutt basicly
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm just going to say Southern..fried chicken, fried potatoes, sweet tea, fried pork chops, red velvet cake w/cream cheese frosting, fried bologna sandwiches, biscuits and sausage gravy, fried eggs...um-did I mention fried foods?? lol
    We've even perfected deep fried twinkies and oreos :love:
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Japanese and German... Both sides hate me, I am considered an abomination and none of them ever let me forget that when I was growing up.

That's horrendous! Unfortunately the old saying 'You can choose your friends but you're stuck with your family' is all too true.

I had a difficult childhood thanks to being more or less rejected by my Father due to being the 'wrong' sex and being 'damaged goods' (I have a heart condition). Ironically the heart problem is genetic & comes from his side of the family!
    But at least my Mum's side of the family made up for it.

Ethnically I'm a mongrel, part Norwegian, part French and the rest English (which is a real mix anyway). I still make a stew recipe that has been handed down from my Mum's side. Each generation has tweaked the recipe and made it their own, my change is it's now veggie.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Mostly Scottish.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I am a first generation American. My dad is from Germany and my mother is from Ireland. I guess I got the drinking gene because I sure do love my booze. Not overly fond of Irish or German cooking though....it's too bland for me. :grumble:
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Caribbean girl here. First generation American, I grew up on rice and so many other traditional foods that are a no-no for me now
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to go with Southern too... which means I grew up on biscuits and gravy, pinto beans, macaroni and cheese, and veggies soaked in butter.

Though somewhere back in there is an English/Irish/Scottish/Cherokee mix (okay, the Cherokee isn't *that* far back... I think a great-great-grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee or something like that?)
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop describing us (mixed racers) as 'mutts'. It's such a derogatory word, even if you use it about yourself.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop describing us (mixed racers) as 'mutts'. It's such a derogatory word, even if you use it about yourself.

I dont think its a derogatory word at all....I will continue to use mutt when describing myself because thats what I am.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm another mixed-up Southern American. From Dad's side I'm 1/4 Scottish, 1/8 French, and 1/8 Choctaw. Mom's side is a bit murkier, but consists of mostly Irish with a bit of German thrown in.

Most of our food traditions have more to do with Dad being raised in Baton Rouge and with Mom being raised in a very country/Southern tradition. Growing up all vegetables except salads were either breaded and fried or cooked to mush. I much prefer lightly steamed or stir-fried veggies. I do have a serious fondness for the traditional biscuits and southern style (no sugar) cornbread. And I don't even want to think about what a good bowl of chicken and dumplings would look like on my food log. :)