What is your heritage

Options

Replies

• kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm NZ Maori (mostly - the rest is a mix of English, Irish, Scottish and Chinese) - any occasion is celebrated with food! Hmmmm fry-bread here too!!
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Japanese and German... Both sides hate me, I am considered an abomination and none of them ever let me forget that when I was growing up.

That is incredibly sad. One of my grandmothers is from Japan, and moved to California with my grandfather after WWII. I haven't met most of her family (can't afford to go to Japan), but they have always been very good to my mom and her brothers and sisters... but I know that isn't always typical. I love being of mixed heritage, I think it has allowed me to see things from a more global point-of-view.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Japanese and German... Both sides hate me, I am considered an abomination and none of them ever let me forget that when I was growing up.

:frown: I would imagine that was difficult to comprehend as a child - I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that. Both of those cultures have interesting food, though.

I've only been to Japan once, but now I am mildly obsessed w/ those interesting hybrid foods you see in there like the pizza w/ corn and seaweed as toppings or those rice omelettes. Spaghetti sandwich! Talk about carbo loading!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    My mother is Korean and I was born there. My father was German/English and Spanish. I love Korean foods- always have it in my house but I limit it due to my current lifestyle changes ( agreed- it's the sodium). My fathers side comes from TN- very home made country southern cooking. I know how to cook some things from memory. My favorite from my childhood would be biscuits and gravy :)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm a mutt lol but I identity more with Hawaiian/Mexican parts of me. So rice is a BIG thing!
  • UpToAnyCool
    Options
    I love Korean foods

...i could probably be vegetarian if i didn't love bulgogi oh so much :laugh: :wink: ... and bacon!
  • Yemaya1129
    Options
    Armenian/German/English/Dutch. I love me some garlic and am generally a foodie....all definitely from my Armenian side. Hence, I am on MFP. I also have a Kim K-esque butt, without her tiny waistline :)
  • Natolee72
    Natolee72 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

AWWWWWWWWW :frown: THAT IS SOOOOO SAD :frown:
  • Natolee72
    Natolee72 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oh...and I was born here in the US ....both my parents are Mexican :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • itly6782
    itly6782 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was born in Italy and moved to the States with my parents and 2 older brothers when I was 6. The rest of my family is there. We always eat 2 courses, the first of which is pasta. The second course is some kind of meat and a vegetable.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Irish. Love potatoes and booze. Grandparents were farmers from northern Mo., which explains my love of comfort foods that cook all day, like ham and northern beans, served with un-sweetend corn bread. I've developed a passion for authentic mexican food, which i usually have at lunch M-F. Is it wrong to be Irish and love Scotch? And Bourbon?:drinker:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Cape Verdean, Irish, American Indian....unfortunately I have no real traditions that I indulge in.
  • UpToAnyCool
    Options
    Is it wrong to be Irish and love Scotch? And Bourbon?:drinker:
    Is it wrong for ANYONE to love Scotch and Bourbon? :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • spoiledwifenikki
    Options
    I am a mutt Irish/Indian on my moms side and french and german on my dads side but my husband is cuban his parents are from cuba so we eat alot of different foods in my house
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Portuguese from Macau - and Hawaiian at heart, both... rice with everything... spam, rice, eggs, kimchee for breakfast...ono!

L.
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm Native/Spanish American. My ancestors come mostly from Spain, but on my fathers side I have Indian blood (Apache and Navajo).
    I was born and raised in the USA though.
    I love fry bread and mexican food. I was raised eating much of this.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Haha, I just moved to Cajun country.
    I grew up down the road from you in New Iberia, spent a LOT of time in Lafayette. Hope you enjoy your stay!
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :o)
  • monkeygirl6
    Options
    Half Japanese (Mom) and Half mostly Irish (Dad). When we eat with my mom's family it tends to be teriyaki marinade for everything and to top it off most of my family is diabetic! I totally don't think it's weird to eat rice with everything I think it's normal, finacially smart, and fulfilling. I just started eating this type of brown rice that is slightly processed so it tastes and cooks more like white rice but its healthier, though not as healthy as real brown rice. I also love that sushi, though I suck at making it and therefore have to buy it when I get those cravings. I don't really know that many Irish dishes... my dad tried to get me to eat some weird meat pie thing when I was young but it was not to my tasting (aka it was gross!)

I'm a food lover... that's why I'm on this site tracking my food... but I really love mexican food... mmmm... I could eat mexican food five times a week. The only type of food I really don't care for is Italian, I know I'm weird but I really don't care for pasta and never had, plus for some reason after eating pasta I get really bad heart burn which does not add to my enjoyment.
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    Looks like I'm the only hispanic person here. XD