I am what my family labels as "Swamp Yankee"

1/2 Polish, 1/4 Irish, 1/8 Native American & 1/8 English

My Mommy can make a Mean Borscht!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Dad was 1/2 Dutch; 1/2 Irish.
    Mom was 1/2 Irish ; 1/2 Heinz 57.

I guess that makes me 1/2 Irish; 1/4 Dutch; 1/4 Heinz 57.

They don't have a category for "European American" on forms like they do for every other ethnicity, so I just have to go with "White"
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop describing us (mixed racers) as 'mutts'. It's such a derogatory word, even if you use it about yourself.

I dont think its a derogatory word at all....I will continue to use mutt when describing myself because thats what I am.

Just to be nosy, what's your mix? It's hard to tell from your picture.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Scottish mexican greman norwigan Mostly scottish and mexican
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I'm a redneck ;) but no really from British/Welch decent, they came here and mixed it up with alot of Cherokee Indian! but settled in North Alabama, so that means all of the food i grew up on was homecookin!! Fried chicken, mashed taters, mac n cheese!! chocolate gravy and biscuits! yum, how i miss my grandmothers cookin!!!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    btw, most people are mutts ;) if you can't tell by everyones posts!! very rarely is there a race that hasn't been mixed with something!!! esp because when you live in the "melting pot" !!!!!!!!!!! this is why I can't understand how people can be racist??? really??
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    According to my mom when I was growing up, I'm Irish, Dutch, German. I'm a teatotaler and can't speak with an Irish accent if my life depended on it. I was born and raised in northern Missouri and grew up eating soul food but didn't realize it was soul food. :smile: Cornbread and beans with hamhocks, fried chicken, collard greens, dandelion greens, any other kinds of greens we could pick, pork chops, koolaid, macaroni and cheese, biscuits, mashed potatoes and white gravy, molasses, all that kind of stuff was just normal food to us. :laugh:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Mostly French/French Canadian + Irish + English. We do traditional French Canadian meat pies and corned beef and cabbage. However, I'd say most of our food traditions revolve around my parents being from New England with lobsters and things. Husband is Korean and he cooks Korean food.. I also cook traditional Jewish holiday foods. Yum! We are a mixed family!
  • legend1973
    Options
    Cree Indian\Scottish on my Moms side and English\Scottish on my Dads side.

My wifes Mother is from Quebec (french) and her Dad is Itatian born in Italy.

What are my kids????
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

What are my kids????

Cute!
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    re: traditions we might follow..
    I second LoopyToucan in that I do not ever wear shoes in my home....this just seems like a good practice for cleanliness anyway!

I third this - it's so funny I don't even think of it as "traditional" anymore, it's an automatic action that I do without thinking about it. Did your mom ever warn you about getting sick from a fan blowing directly on you? lol
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Italian on my mothers side and English/Welsh on my fathers .. eclectic in food tastes..
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Native American (sioux and cree) and english...my fiance is 100% english...I make a lot of pot roasts, pork chops, yorkshire pudding (totally not my job, I suck at it), hamburgers (anything on the grill), my dad also loved making fried dough, or boiled dough and potatoes, home-grown veggies, chili, tea, crumpets...the list could go on forever. I was raised white so my native heritage didn't factor into my upbrining...My grandpa was also extremely hated for being Metis, so he denounced all native aspects of his life and raised his family white and catholic. Unfortunetly he was left handed too, and if you know anything about catholics, they have a hate on for left handed people. I'm also left handed, that's why I'm the only one that went to public school. Religion is weird, what happened to being Christian? and loving everyone? Just because I write with my "other" hand doesn't mean I'm the spawn of the devil...it just means I'm different than 90% of the population.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Did your mom ever warn you about getting sick from a fan blowing directly on you? lol

That's true, you get bells palsy...it damages the nerves...my cousin has it, she left her fan on and the left side of her face is now "dead"...she takes steroids (which made her gain an astronomical amount of weight) and can't smile on the left side...weird i know but it is true.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Im Greek so lots of Feta, Olives and Wine for me!!! ;-)
  • Jon_Rod
    Jon_Rod Posts: 158
    Options
    Hey Guys

So Im a mutt too hahah

Im Puerto Rican (Dads Side) Black (Moms Side) My mom has a little White in her (She is from Alabama and her Mothers Mother Mother was rapped (slavery days) my dad's Grandmother is from Spain...So a little of everything I guess..I love being mixed I get a good tan in the summer time without even trying..Its the best : )

Growing up (on the East coast in New York) I had a lot of Southern Food and Puerto Rican food, the reason I say Puerto Rican food and not Spanish food is because on the NorthWest (Seattle where i live now) when you say spanish everyone thinks Mexican and Puerto Rican food has a different flavor than Mexican foods...Just thought I'll make that clear : )
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    Im Greek so lots of Feta, Olives and Wine for me!!! ;-)

I love greek food!

I'm English so it's all roasts and fish 'n' chips (well, not anymore - not for me).

There's a bit of a revival of traditional english food going on from what I can see and a lot of it is very tasty and filling. Guess it's a matter of every now and again a little of what you fancy won't harm - as long as it's only a little! :happy:

Fortunately, I'm quite varied in my tastes so I can easily adapt to dietary changes when I need to.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    re: traditions we might follow..
    I second LoopyToucan in that I do not ever wear shoes in my home....this just seems like a good practice for cleanliness anyway!

I third this - it's so funny I don't even think of it as "traditional" anymore, it's an automatic action that I do without thinking about it. Did your mom ever warn you about getting sick from a fan blowing directly on you? lol

Mia- my mother also warned me that I would be very poor (I have ADHD, I am pretty hyper..so I naturally fidget) because of the way I moved around constantly while at the dinner table. I am not very poor ROFL.
    Frankly- although I love my mother with all of my heart, the cultural issues and expectations between the two of us have been very deep. She expects me to be a Korean woman- which I simply am not..completely at least..or even mostly. I have earned my stripes so to speak by being her daughter *sigh* and still concede to her wishes in a lot of things to my best ability but she has always been disappointed that I'm so American :p
  • bahrainbel_2
    Options
    british/persian/arabic.........i mainly eat breakfast cereal :wink:

i think being into your heritage is much more an american pastime than a european one.........
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Did your mom ever warn you about getting sick from a fan blowing directly on you? lol

That's true, you get bells palsy...it damages the nerves...my cousin has it, she left her fan on and the left side of her face is now "dead"...she takes steroids (which made her gain an astronomical amount of weight) and can't smile on the left side...weird i know but it is true.

I'm sorry for your cousin but bells palsy isn't caused by a fan blowing directly on you. I grew up in the midwest where we have very hot summers. I spent my life sleeping with a fan blowing on me during the summer because we never had air conditioning. It doesn't cause bells palsy.