Can Men and Women REALLY ever just bo friends?

Options
123457»

Replies

• ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    hmmm good question. i think as long as there are no feelings involved u can.

i'm friends with my first love but only after we both moved on and no longer saw each other in that way.

also if u have a guy friend that u met b4 ur current relationship it might not be as threatening to ur new guy. but if a new guy comes into the picture yeah they might feel a lil jealousy. wouldn't you? i'm a very jealous person so I would not like for my man to be working out, hanging out, giong out, doing anything with another girl instead of me :noway: hahahaha yes i'm crazy like that :blushing:

Yeah I'm crazy too D: but after being cheated on a few times I have a solid opinion of no they can't lol
  • DawnWendalynn1973
    DawnWendalynn1973 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It is completely possible. If you never see the person in that 'light' then you being female, them being male doesn't matter.

The best f/m friendships are when both people have never seen the other in that 'light' .... but it is possible to be friends...and great friends with someone of the opposite sex even if one of you may have been intrigued at one time. Once you have established it won't be 'that' kind of relationship and you still have a great time together and get along really well.....the m/f aspect shouldn't really matter.

It is all about trust within the relationship. Your partner should know YOU well enough to know you wouldn't be friends with someone who would try to compromise your romantic relationship.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so, as most of my friends are men and they dont show any interest in dating me (In fact, will talk about how much they love their girlfriends to me). LOL
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I believe that they can just be friends. While there is always some sort of chemistry be it friendship, lust or what, its how you act on it that makes the relationship what it is. Me, I'm happily married, so I would never even entertain the idea.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    My first instinct is to say yes, because my best friend is a man. But, we've known each other for over twenty years, in fact, we've known each other so long we can't actually remember a time when we *didn't* know each other. I think growing up together makes a difference. I've always thought of him as a brother, and I know he has thought of me as a sister. There was never sexual tension on my end, and I never picked up on any from him, so I am assuming it has always been 100% platonic.

However, I don't know if that "counts" because we have been friends since childhood. The men I have become friends with as an adult are a little more complicated. Most are married- I've met their wives, they've met my husband. No one has ever crossed any lines, but I am more aware that there *are* lines to be crossed where these friends are concerned.

I never thought twice about spending time alone with my best friend. When my husband was deployed, we saw each other every day, especially after I was put on bed rest (I was pregnant at the time). The friends I have now, I really cannot imagine going to the movies or out to dinner/lunch with any of them, unless a group was involved or our spouses were present. I think as long as there are boundaries and everyone respects them, it's fine, but it's definitely more tricky.