Red, White and Bluiz 4th of July Challenge

Options

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i dont use a bun with mine so i make the burgers bigger and count the calories as if i did eat a bun.....i dont do the lettuce and tomato either...i usually top mine with A1 sauce....we typically have sweet potato steak fries with kosher salt sprinkled and broiled asparagus or zucchini with olive oil spray and some seasonings sprinkled on top.....enjoy....we are having these saturday night and have had them several times in the past....

Bleu Cheese Burgers

Prep Time:30 min
    Start to Finish:30 min
    makes:4-6 burgers

1/4 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats (1packet instant)
    1/8 cup water
    1.5 lb extra-lean (at least 93%) ground beef
    1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese (4 oz)
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives - i dont use these....
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce - i use crystal's hot sauce
    1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4-6 whole wheat burger buns
    4-6 leaf lettuce leaves
    4-6 tomato slices

1. Heat gas or charcoal grill. In large bowl, mix oats and water. Stir in beef, blue cheese, chives, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper sauce, pepper, mustard and salt until well mixed. Shape mixture into 4-6 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
    2. Place patties on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill over medium coals. Cover grill; cook 11 to 13 minutes, turning once, until thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 160°F. - i broil cause they tend to fall apart on the grill
    3. For each burger, layer lettuce, tomato and patty in bun.

Contact Grill Directions: Heat closed contact grill 5 minutes. Place patties on bottom grill surface. Close grill; cook 6 to 7 minutes or until thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 160°F.

Nutritional Information (estimate)
    1 Burger: Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 4 1/2g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 490mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 5g); Protein 30g
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    oreyna49 i would like to make a suggestion.....change your ticker to show your amazing losses instead of what you still need to lose....i find it very motivating to seeeeee where i have come from instead of where i'm going....again this is just me, but i think everyone should at least try it.....

Thanks Bluiz...it does look better...lol
  • bluiz13
    Options
    oreyna49 i would like to make a suggestion.....change your ticker to show your amazing losses instead of what you still need to lose....i find it very motivating to seeeeee where i have come from instead of where i'm going....again this is just me, but i think everyone should at least try it.....

Thanks Bluiz...it does look better...lol

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.....It makes you stand up and take notice....I HAVE LOST 14LBS.....SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS....i would never ever ever have told ANYONE that i weighed 253.8 lbs when i started my journey and 263 at my highest but i tell everyone now lol....cause i know i'm NEVER going back there......showing what you have done and celebrating it everyday will keep you motivated to "finish" this journey.....keep going - you are doing great.....
  • meanjeann
    meanjeann Posts: 40
    Options
    Sorry for not reporting by yesterday. 196.2 this week. Having a weird plateau, but I will break through!
  • bluiz13
    Options
    i'm challenging the following to PUSH themselves harder than ever to break into ONEDERLAND by 7/4/11....
    arw3b3, cambam84, Cyn_125, jklm, justyourtypicalgirl, kris1085, mauck1975, melkneec, sho_barnes

YOU CAN DO IT.....a few of you are just a few pounds away and some of you have a bit more...but push push push....even if you dont make 199 by 7/4 just think how much closer you will be to it once we move onto our next challenge....come on folks....stick it out, dig, push hard to reach this AMAZING milestone.....
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Great challenges this week, Bluiz!

@oreyna49- I really loved what you said. I felt the same way about my mother as a kid, and now I feel like you do with my daughter. I don't want her to miss out on ANYTHING because I'm so self conscious about myself. It was so great to see your post first thing this morning

Which gave me my positive thought for the day- I CAN BREAK THE CYCLE!!!! I had overweight grandmothers, an overweight mother, but it ends now! I will get to a healthy weight! and my example will help my daughter be healthy and happy :D I'm very proud to say that her favorite foods are green beans and bananas. Hahahaha
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bluiz, I love the onederland challenge! But I'm gonna change mine from 7/4 to 4/19. That gives me 7 days to lose 1 pound! I can do it, I'm knocking on the door! By 7/4, I'm gonna be 185-the lowest I've been since freshman year of college (2005). Thanks for the challenge!
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My updates are on my ticker :)
  • bluiz13
    Options
    Bluiz, I love the onederland challenge! But I'm gonna change mine from 7/4 to 4/19. That gives me 7 days to lose 1 pound! I can do it, I'm knocking on the door! By 7/4, I'm gonna be 185-the lowest I've been since freshman year of college (2005). Thanks for the challenge!

you are the one that is the closet to 199 being at 200 this week....you CAN DO IT...and it will feel amazing....
  • Novemberhills
    Novemberhills Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. Can I join....I have to set goals and this one sounds great.
  • bluiz13
    Options
    sure...just post your start weight and report each week sometime between thurs and monday to be included in the group chart...
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    Great challenges this week, Bluiz!

@oreyna49- I really loved what you said. I felt the same way about my mother as a kid, and now I feel like you do with my daughter. I don't want her to miss out on ANYTHING because I'm so self conscious about myself. It was so great to see your post first thing this morning

Which gave me my positive thought for the day- I CAN BREAK THE CYCLE!!!! I had overweight grandmothers, an overweight mother, but it ends now! I will get to a healthy weight! and my example will help my daughter be healthy and happy :D I'm very proud to say that her favorite foods are green beans and bananas. Hahahaha

Thank You, belileve it or not...this is the first time i've ever shared that. I don't think i've even told my wife that part of my childhood. It goes to show how bad I want this and how much respect I have for my MFP friends.
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ACK! I missed the weigh-in!!

I'm 136.2. It's a very marginal loss, but I will definitely take it. =]

I'm sorry about not posting in time. I understand about missing the chart,
    but I'll be on time for next week! =]
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I hope to be in onederland by Memorial Day i know i will make it there before then ! So close i am and thats one of my huge goals i have like 70 some more to go but i am on the right track !
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ok, I forgot to report yesterday and I don't even remember what I was last week. 157.1. I seem to be going backwards. It's been a very stressful week. No excuses, just a statement of fact. Back into routine this weekend I hope!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Woohooo You guys are on a roll keep up the awesome work!! We can do it!!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    mind
    how about starting the day off with a positive statement about you, your journey, your progress, JUST YOU!!!!

I am making some amazing changes. I will focus on what I have achieved more than what I still need to achieve!
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    i'm challenging the following to PUSH themselves harder than ever to break into ONEDERLAND by 7/4/11....
    arw3b3, cambam84, Cyn_125, jklm, justyourtypicalgirl, kris1085, mauck1975, melkneec, sho_barnes

YOU CAN DO IT.....a few of you are just a few pounds away and some of you have a bit more...but push push push....even if you dont make 199 by 7/4 just think how much closer you will be to it once we move onto our next challenge....come on folks....stick it out, dig, push hard to reach this AMAZING milestone.....

Great motivation Denise I love it!!

Like she said you all can do it!!!:drinker:
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yesterday warmed up and cooled down before and after each workout plus I drank 12 glasses of water!!

Today's positive mindset: I am much stronger today than I was months ago!!!