Lots2Lose & over 40 (CLOSED GROUP)

Options

Replies

• malias
    malias Posts: 82
    Options
    WEDNESDAY WEIGH IN... Well I thought I had posted my weigh in already.....but looking back, I can't find it. So here we go. I've lost 3lbs this week. I've been without a scale for a couple months and finally bought a new one a week ago. It's amazing how getting a new scale will put you back on track. I've also started walking....gonna shoot for 4 to 5 days a week. This is a major challenge for me...but I'm on day 3.

So am I the only one who has a hard time keeping up here? I'm sorry for responding to everyones posts ....but I think I'm gonna start keeping notes when reading posts. That way maybe I can keep track of where I left off. Please....someone tell me I'm not the only one....LoL.

So I'm off to sleep. Catch ya all in the morning. Keep up all the good work.
    Cassie

Cassie - No, you are not the only one! It is difficult for me to even log on during the day let alone have time to read everyone's posts. And then to remember them all so I can respond.....well, it just isn't going to happen. I dont think we need to respond to everyones posts, every time though! Just all know, I am right here with you and you have my support! If I don't respond to a post or if I fail to mention someone in my daily banter, it doesnt mean I don't care! I do! Sometimes, however, life simply gets in the way! I heart you all and wish you all enormous success! (even if I dont always say so).
  • malias
    malias Posts: 82
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I know this may sound silly to some, but I have no intention of displaying my weight on a chart! I have kept that particular number to myself all my life (not even my husband or best friend know it.) Sorry, but I'm not going to change that fact now. Someone mentioned charting pounds lost as opposed to current weights and if we do that, I'm in. If not, please remove my name. I dont mean to upset or offend anyone. Please do what the majority wants. I will not be upset if my name/weight are not shared. Thanks.
    Have a successful day everyone.....
  • cassieinor
    cassieinor Posts: 584
    Options
    Amy....So it sounds like you've officially lost 2.8lbs since last weigh in....WoooHooo! Good job girl! And how fun...finding stuff in the back of the closet that fits. Keep up the good work. Sorry you're missing your walk.....but IMHO....think about the OT. You can always walk later. You're kewl!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I know this may sound silly to some, but I have no intention of displaying my weight on a chart! I have kept that particular number to myself all my life (not even my husband or best friend know it.) Sorry, but I'm not going to change that fact now. Someone mentioned charting pounds lost as opposed to current weights and if we do that, I'm in. If not, please remove my name. I dont mean to upset or offend anyone. Please do what the majority wants. I will not be upset if my name/weight are not shared. Thanks.
    Have a successful day everyone.....

Hi Malias,
    Your name is removed. You are not upsetting or offending anyone at all.:noway: And it does not sound silly at all. Not sure why you think someone would be offended or upset on your personal choice but I think I can say we are not upset or offended by it at all. This is an open forum and I so understand you not wanting to publish your numbers.:flowerforyou: I use to be the same way many years ago.

TTYL,
    Mollie
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!
    It's a chilly morning here in California. It started to rain just in time for my commute home last night, so it took me over an hour and a half to get home. Luckily I stoped drinking water around 3:30 so I didn't have an accident!

My Thursday Triumph is more of a defeat. All this weight I have is so stubborn! I am completely frustrated with it. After 1 week of calorie cycling I lost 2lbs. the following week I was up 0.2. I didn't log it as I figured it was water due to TOM, and I figured I'd lose it. But this week I'm up another 0.2!!! That's almost a half pound! :sad: I'm seriously VERY VERY dissapointed. :cry:

claudia, wondering where in cali you live. I am also from california and getting tired of the wind and rain. We have certainly had alot of it lately and it is interfering with my walks LOL. But there is always the gym.

Sorry to hear you are frustrated with the weight loss. I hope next week is better
  • cassieinor
    Options
    I doubt if I will get a walk in today. It is Clean Out the Garage Day. We don't own a car and the garage is completely packed with stuff we moved from the U.S. two years ago. Our feelings are that if we haven't needed it for two years, we don't need to keep it. So I am ruthlessly clearing out stuff to go to charity, recycling or just trash.

This is clearly at minimum, an all day project. It's 10:30 and I've already been at it for two hours and have barely made a dent. The big job so far was moving enough stuff out so that I had a place to work inside. I've just logged my first two hours as exercise and I'll log the rest later. So, I'm being productive and getting some exercise at the same time.
    Congrats to all for even the smallest of successes. Hugs to those who are struggling. Have a great week everyone!!

katz

Wow.......did I hear someone say yard sale? Sounds like you're kickin' some serious butt today. And I would definitely count it as exercise! Good for you! Wish you didn't live so far away....I'd come for your yard sale....LOL

Cassie
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Cathy....Not true what you said about you being the worst about exercise. I AM THE WORST about exercising! Ugggh!!! I hate it! But like you, I'm trying to get on that exercise band wagon......with the motivation I'm getting from everyone here. The walking so far isn't far....but it's a start. One step at a time....

Congrats on the new old clothes too.
    Cassie
  • themommie
    Options
    I doubt if I will get a walk in today. It is Clean Out the Garage Day. We don't own a car and the garage is completely packed with stuff we moved from the U.S. two years ago. Our feelings are that if we haven't needed it for two years, we don't need to keep it. So I am ruthlessly clearing out stuff to go to charity, recycling or just trash.

This is clearly at minimum, an all day project. It's 10:30 and I've already been at it for two hours and have barely made a dent. The big job so far was moving enough stuff out so that I had a place to work inside. I've just logged my first two hours as exercise and I'll log the rest later. So, I'm being productive and getting some exercise at the same time.
    Congrats to all for even the smallest of successes. Hugs to those who are struggling. Have a great week everyone!!

katz

Me too, I love yard sales. Sounds like a great way to get things done and get in some exercise at the same time. We cleaned our garage out about 5 months ago. Then a couple months ago I decided that I wanted to clean out our laundry room and put a tv/dvd player in there with weights, exercise ball, exercise dvds and my step and make it a mini exercise room. So what did we do with alot of the stuff that was in the laundry room, move it to the clean garage of course. It is better then it was but not so clean now LOL. Good for you for getting all your spring cleaning done, maybe you will motivate me.

Wow.......did I hear someone say yard sale? Sounds like you're kickin' some serious butt today. And I would definitely count it as exercise! Good for you! Wish you didn't live so far away....I'd come for your yard sale....LOL

Cassie
  • cassieinor
    Options
    I've finally got here feeling much better today. I have so much to catch up on I haven't been able to read or reply to everybody but I do read everything that is posted in my news feed or on my profile. Well done everyone who has lost weight, and well done everyone else for still trying. You are all a great bunch and I am proud of each and every one of you. :flowerforyou:

Glad you're feeling better. You're not the only one who plays catch up.....hmmm

Cassie
  • themommie
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Maybe we should have A WORST EXERCISER CONTEST heehee. I think I would at least be a runner up, if not win. I do seem to do it most of the time, but I really have to talk myself into it and sometimes I just talk myself out of it. LOL
    Today I had my first mammogram. YUCK. actually it was better then what I was expecting. This afternoon my daughter has a dentist appt. Then my brother inlaw is coming to dinner. So it is going to be a fairly busy day.

Thursday truimp. That I actually did my exercise this week. I even joined the gym , YEAH. I have been toying with the idea of joining a gym now for probably 3 months. I just didnt want to join then not be able to go because of the fibro and chronic fatigue. But I have been doing more and more and feeling better since losing some weight. As long as I take it slow I think I will be fine and even if I only go for 20 or 30 mins it is better then no exercise at all.

Mollie , the chart looks great. I will be sure and get my weight to you on Wednesday.
    Have a great day everyone and keep up the good work.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    [
    No you are not the only one. When I settle doen at night to truely look over the tread I open a word document and keep notes then copy and paste when I am done. I am such a geek :tongue:

I totally do a word doc too!!! How funny is that!

Me too! It is the only way....lol!

i am really old school....i write notes on a piece of paper then try and read what i wrote to type it
  • themommie
    Options
    Karen,
    I am glad to know I am not the only one that does it old school. I also write notes down on a piece of paper and then type it out to reply. LOL. I may have to check out doing my notes on the computer.
  • themommie
    Options
    I saw this posted on the boards and thought I would share it with you. It is about getting past a plateau after 5 weeks

Hi all.

I'm posting this on the "Motivation" board, because I was starting to lose my motivation when I hit this hard plateau, less than 10 lbs from my goal weight. I hope that this might help some others who become discouraged when they hit a plateau.

Since I started my weight loss regimen in November 2010 it had been smooth sailing for me - losing about 13 lbs/month at the beginning, then as I got closer to my goal, the weight got harder to lose, but still between 8 and 10 lbs per month, pretty consistently... then, as I approached that last 10 lbs, thud... the scale stopped moving.

I wasn't doing anything differently - still consuming about 1200 cals/day, exercising at about 600-700 cals/day, 4 to 6 times/week... but nothing was moving the scale. As a matter of fact, about 3 weeks ago I GAINED about 5 lbs, suddenly. (turned out to be water weight, from a particularly salty meal... )

I tried amping up the exercise - nothing. I tried lowering the cals too - still, nothing.

Then, I started reading posts here about various issues such as "eating back exercise cals". The evidence is pretty convincing, even though it sounds counter-intuitive. I decided to give it a try... I have been so strict with myself about calorie restriction that I felt kinda "afraid" to consume all those extra calories... I had to repeatedly tell myself that it was OK...

Well, after about a week... nothing. I was actually relieved that "nothing" happened, instead of gaining weight.

I had been using the elliptical machine exclusively (aside from playing racquetball several times a week). This had been reliably helping me lose the weight - at least I was pretty sure that it was. But again, I read here that mixing up your exercise routine might give your metabolism the jolt it needed to break out of a plateau... so I tried the treadmill (much harder than I thought) and the rowing machine. I also lowered my calorie burn from 600-700 per session to 250 on each machine - treadmill and rowing, for a total of 500.

At about the same time, I started to up my water intake. I was really bad about this previously. I likely consumed only about 16 oz per day before this increase. I upped it to between 64 and 96 oz per day. I found that I like crystal light "on the go" packets. It makes the water go down much easier, and it's very inexpensive. (I found that I prefer half the suggested dose - in other words, one packet for 32 oz)

Well, I don't know for sure if it was the additional calories, the mixing up of the exercises or the added water, but my hunch is that it was the water increase that finally broke me out of the plateau. I've been drinking the increased amount for about 10 days or so. I've lost 4 lbs in just the last few days, and now I'm 1.5 lbs away from my goal.

Perhaps in reality, the cause is the additional exercise I now get from running to the bathroom about a million times a day.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Thursday triumph- after i went to the gym i raked part of my front lawn...couldn't do the whole thing but i at least got started.
    I think I am addicted to the gym now.....wow...never thought i would say that since i have a hard time getting started and i hate sweating so much...but yesterday i did not go and i was so ansy cause i missed working out! had a great time today and now i feel real mellow and my muscles are all relaxed and stretched...Hopefully i will actually get some yard work done tomorrow.
    I feel like i should get more credit/calorie burn for using the rowing machine cause it is HARD...and i can't drink water while i row!!

Claudia- do you have access to a nutritionist? or a sports trainer? perhpas they could help you figure out what is happening with your body. I wish i had the problem of not being able to get my heart rate up...i am sure mine goes up just thinking about exercise:laugh: Hang in there, while you may not be losing pounds you are certainly improving your health

karen
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thursday Triumph - I got on that darn bike after 8 days - rode 6.1 miles in 40 minutes, now my knee hurts :smile: Tylenol and ActivOn, here I come!
    Have a wonderful day everyone:flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    @Karen,
    Keep up the good work at the gym!! Sweating is so good for you........:-) I love sweating. It makes me feel good. I used to do the row machine. With all this talk about it maybe I will give it another go. I see they even use it on TBL and Heavy.

@Sheri,
    Thanks for the article on plauteau. Even though I am a long way from goal it seem like I am stalling too. But I know I need to decrease my sodium and calories. I hear you on those mamaograms. I will be having one shortly also.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    Evening ladies!

I'll keep this short as I have my girls to sort, lunch for tomorrow to make and the laundry waiting for me! I have read all your posts and would love to be able to comment on each. My brain is frazzled this evening :yawn: If I did post then I think you may all think I have lost the plot.

Mollie the chart looks great and I think L's idea of just posting our losses is a winner.

Well done everyone who has managed to do their exercise, a few of you have made it sound ALMOST addictive!

My Thursday triumph is that for the first time EVER in the 5 years that I have been at my company that I have eaten my lunch and nothing else! No biscuits with tea, no crisps, no chocolate from the vending machine at 3pm to make the afternoon go quicker...nadaaa!

Have a wonderful evening everyone and well done ...each and everyone of you are stars x

Joanna

lunchtime
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thursday truimp. That I actually did my exercise this week. I even joined the gym , YEAH. I have been toying with the idea of joining a gym now for probably 3 months. I just didnt want to join then not be able to go because of the fibro and chronic fatigue. But I have been doing more and more and feeling better since losing some weight. As long as I take it slow I think I will be fine and even if I only go for 20 or 30 mins it is better then no exercise at all.

That's fantastic! You're right, 20-30 minutes is a great start!
  • christyrussell2
    christyrussell2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Thursday Triumps

I'm proud to say that the hike yesterday didn't land me in the bed recovering from aching noodle legs or anything! I have a little calf soreness but that's all.

I've now unpacked all of my spring & summer clothes to get them washed up ready to go when the weather is right. I found that I can put on my favorite capris & shorts with undoing them. That is a fantastic feeling! :love:

It took me a while to catch up on everyone's posts. Overall, it looks like everyone is doing well. I'm going to have to start a Word doc when I'm reading, too, so I can keep up with everything I want to comment on. But for now - GREAT JOB EVERYONE! KEEP IT UP!

:heart: Christy
  • ShellyBrew
    ShellyBrew Posts: 823
    Options
    So the phone interview went well…it was just a quick 15min with HR to review my resume, qualifications and ask me “why there company” type questions…I should hear next week about a face to face meeting….fingers crossed!

*soapbox* - we made a lifestyle choice when we started over-eating and under-exercising, we're now reversing the way we lived. *end soapbox* …..OMG I luv this quote, thanks Sue

{{{hugs}}} to Mollie, luv the chart, thanks for organizing this and I am fine with either way of tracking (actual weight or just pounds lost).

@Katz…amazing, I know spring cleaning is a big chore but I bet you feel great about all you accomplished today, take a well deserved break

@Joanna…WooHoo on sticking to just the food you brought, I stay out of the break room at work in order to avoid the vending machines!

@Karen…It is amazing but even though I still don’t “Like” exercise, I do feel much better when I go to the gym, it is a tiny bit addicting…maybe I’ll try the row machine tonight.

To all you “worst exercisers”, I am now going to drag my happy butt to the gym and stop playing on MFP (does typing burn calories)….I hate cardio day, I promised to use the Evil Elliptical today :grumble: