Replies

• regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options
    That sounds great!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am very picky about ranch dressings. All the ones that taste good have MSG, and I avoid that. I finally found one. Marzetti Light Ranch. It only has 80 calories for 2 TB. Put it on the side to make it last longer.

Otherwise I use a good garlic viniagrette. 2 TB usually has around 90 calories, and I don't need to use the whole amount because it doesn't stick to the dressing anyway.
  • rebeccaS85
    rebeccaS85 Posts: 141
    Options
    Renees Asian Sesame - 45 Calories per 15 mL
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar
    Fat-free Greek yogurt
    splash of maple syrup or sweetener of choice

It's sweet and tart and creamy! :)
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Kens Lite Northern Italian with Basil and Romano 50 cal for 2 TBS, 5g fat. My kids eat Ranch like there is no tomorrow....when I compared labels I was shocked at the fat content. I also like the Kens Lite Asian Sesame with Ginger and Soy 70 cal/ 2TBS and 4g fat. I make a giant salad and poor the 1-2 TBS on then I throw a lid on the bowl and shake it to cover everything. You wouldn't think that little would be very much, but shaking the salad up really helps!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My favorites are:

Ken's Steakhouse Fat Free Dressing - Raspberry Pecan (50 cal/ 2 Tbsp)
    Ken's Steakhouse Light Options - Olive Oil and Vinegar (50 cal/ 2 Tbsp)

If there's a Shop Rite in your area their Light Caesar Dressing is pretty good too (80 cal/ 2 Tbsp)
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    Here's an old tried and true trick I use: although there are some good low-cal, low or non-fat offerings out there, I have yet to find a ranch option I like, so what I do is put a couple tablespoons of dressing in an airtight container, fill with water, and shake. It double or triples the amount, and since it is runny, will coat the salad nicely with way less calories and fat but the "real" taste.
  • holly2424
    holly2424 Posts: 15
    Options
    I use the Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix - you find it near the other dressings. Buy the package that has the shaker bottle with it, this comes in so handy.

I make mine with 1/2 the oil, adding more water and vinegar. You can really vary the taste by changing up the vinegars and substituting things. This makes a great vinaigrette that is 1/2 the fat and calories.

Also, I always "toss" my salads in a big bowl with dressing before serving, you use WAY less dressing this way vs. pouring it right over the top of the salad.
  • muskratface
    muskratface Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a ranch fiend, so I buy ranch dressing/dip mix in the packets and add it to fat free sour cream with a little skim milk. It's 21 calories per tablespoon! If you want to change it up, add cumin and chili powder and you've got southwest ranch!

Fat free sour cream is my new best friend. Add splenda and it's a tasty dip for fruit (especially strawberries).
    And I just got adventurous and made an apple dip with three parts ff sour cream to one part peanut butter, with some vanilla extract, cinnamon, and splenda. SO GOOD. It tastes like peanut butter ice cream. And way fewer calories than straight pb.

Good luck!
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have to have ranch! I use Hidden Valley Light Ranch. 80 calories for 2 TBS. Doesn't seem like much but I put my salads in a bowl, put the dressing on then pop on the lid and give it a good shake. Everything gets a good coating,
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I love salad and I'm a cheapskate so I usually try to Mac Gyver my own dressings:

some favorite combinations (some already mentioned - sorry):
    - extra virgin olive oil w/ balsamic -or- champagne wine vinegar - or sherry wine vinegar. add garlic and herbs, black pepper.
    - ev olive oil w/ either lemon or lime juice. nice for something very simple, like blanched string beans - maybe add some dill.
    for a sweeter touch, try a bit of orange juice and you can also put some jam or fruit preserves in there. that would maybe taste good w/ an endive/radicchio deal.
    - canola oil w/ rice wine vinegar -or- lime juice, also a dash of sesame oil and some sesame seeds. fresh grated ginger.

- oh, like a few others here, i also like a bit of pico de gallo and sometimes even pesto!

:embarassed: Sorry if this is not helpful - these are all vinagrettes and you were asking about a ranch sub, weren't you?