What's the best purchase you've made to help your weight los

Options
12346»

Replies

• katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have several that together are contributing to my success ...

1. Salter digital food scale plus measuring cups/spoons
    2. Vitamix
    3. Brita
    4. Treadmill
    5. Books ... The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno, The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto and soon to be here ... You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren (recommended by fellow MFPer, rileysowner)

and this time, most of all, this wonderful FREE site ... MFP.
  • Life0nMars86
    Life0nMars86 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    *bump so I can read all this great info later when I have time :bigsmile:
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    The arm band the holds my iPhone, the ear buds with the volume on the cord, a digital food scale, and the Nike app to track my runs.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,277 Member
    Options
    My iPhone... Without it... I never would have found this site or signed up at all...

Ok, I rescind my previous answer and second this one. That is how I started on this path as well. Still live my small town gym though!

I agree. Downloading the free app for MFP got me started here. So grateful for my iphone... But also my investment in Zumba classes, Leslie Sansone Walking DVD's, and new running and dance shoes. A HRM is on my wishlist but not sure what to get...
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    #1: The book "The Abs Diet Get Fit, Stay Fit Plan" by David Zinczenko.
    It changed my life!

Great post, OP. I'm now looking forward to reading the books katschi mentioned a few posts above!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    EA Sports Active 2 for the PS3. It's what kick-started my fitness journey. 3 months in I still love it, even though it kicks my *kitten* 4 times a week!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain to me WHY a HRM is so brilliant? I know what it is, but what is it about these things that makes it "your best purchase"?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Waterproof mascara! Never underestimate the power of tiny things (such as having to take off your make up) that could stop you working out.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain to me WHY a HRM is so brilliant? I know what it is, but what is it about these things that makes it "your best purchase"?

Because without one I never REALLY knew how many calories I was burning or where my heart rate was during exercise. Your heart rate needs to be in a target heart rate rage (you can find those charts anywhere online) to get the full maximum benefit of working out. I mostly would not know how many calories I am burning without it because MFP is WAY off and so are the gym machines. Neither are set for you personally.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor......took my weight loss attempts and exercising to a whole new level

I agree because without one a person would have NO IDEA if they needed to increase their exercise. If I am at the end of my workout and I have only burned 300 calories, I step it up until I reach a number I like. If my heart rate is not high enough to really be considered working out, I step it up. My heart rate tends to get really high at points and spike. This lets me know to slow down and wait until it comes down (I am not trying to have a heart attack). Without one, I would have NO idea that my heart rate is spiking!