How I have avoided plateauing ***length warning***

Options

Replies

• brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Not saying to not eat protein and fiber. I am saying you can eat a lot of processed food and still get into fantastic shape and it will not hinder your progress. Macros matter yes, not where said macros come from.

sure they do. What about Glycemic index and Glycemic load? Not all carbohydrates are broken down with the same speed. Highly processed carbohydrates can be turned into glucose within minutes, flooding the blood stream with glucose and causing the body to convert some of it to fat and/or creating a spike in blood sugar levels which can cause insulin responses. If done on a regular basis, this can lead to metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, which reduces the body's ability to uptake blood sugar forcing the body to reduce metabolic rate (among other things). It's more than just the macros you get, it's the type of macros also. Don't forget that cortisol (released during times of high insulin) also counteracts HGH, IGF2, and Testosterone uptake, which means slower muscular development further impairing RMR.

You can't take 1 concept in a vacuum in the human body, everything is connected, macros affect hormone response, which affects multiple systems, which can change body chemistry...etc.

Not speaking on long term health issues. I was just pointing out I disagreed that eating junkfood will make you plateau in weightloss. I do understand all the science with how the body works.

We can agree to disagree and I will continue eating my ice cream and donuts.

what ever works for you.

Looked at 4TheKing's Pics and his diary.... Seems to be working

Looked at your pics and your diary (which is empty for at least the last two months)... Let's just say... Seem's 4TheKing's plan seems to be working.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Not saying to not eat protein and fiber. I am saying you can eat a lot of processed food and still get into fantastic shape and it will not hinder your progress. Macros matter yes, not where said macros come from.

sure they do. What about Glycemic index and Glycemic load? Not all carbohydrates are broken down with the same speed. Highly processed carbohydrates can be turned into glucose within minutes, flooding the blood stream with glucose and causing the body to convert some of it to fat and/or creating a spike in blood sugar levels which can cause insulin responses. If done on a regular basis, this can lead to metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, which reduces the body's ability to uptake blood sugar forcing the body to reduce metabolic rate (among other things). It's more than just the macros you get, it's the type of macros also. Don't forget that cortisol (released during times of high insulin) also counteracts HGH, IGF2, and Testosterone uptake, which means slower muscular development further impairing RMR.

You can't take 1 concept in a vacuum in the human body, everything is connected, macros affect hormone response, which affects multiple systems, which can change body chemistry...etc.

I wonder why the majority of type 2 diebetes people are because they are overweight, not because of the insulin responses. Thinner people could do the same spike in blood sugar levels and not risk themselves for type 2 diabetes. I don't truly understand the comment above, but that's ok. I believe the calories in and calories out to a point.
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe I'm having cheat days too often... I'm gonna try a few of these out and hopefully get back on track! Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I wonder why the majority of type 2 diebetes people are because they are overweight, not because of the insulin responses. Thinner people could do the same spike in blood sugar levels and not risk themselves for type 2 diabetes. I don't truly understand the comment above, but that's ok. I believe the calories in and calories out to a point.

first, you don't have to be overweight to have type 2 diabetes, but if you notice, my comments with regards to metabolic syndrome and diabetes talk about long term risk for type 2 diabetes, and people who eat badly long term tend to be overweight, likewise, not all overweight or obese individuals have diabetes, the two just coincide because many overweight people don't eat healthy foods AND they overeat. Type 2 diabetes can be caused by putting the body into sugar overdrive, which creates a situation where cells become insulin resistant, insulin which is a hormone that tells cells to open up and take glucose from the blood, no longer performs the way it normally would. When you flood the body with simple carbohydrates on a regular basis for months or years, the odds go way up that your body will become insulin resistant.

take a look at this, it gives a decent overview of type 2 diabetes.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/type-2-diabetes

I've never argued against calories in vs calories out, I'm all about eating the right amount of calories, but I'm also all about eating the right types of calories.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

first, you don't have to be overweight to have type 2 diabetes, but if you notice, my comments with regards to metabolic syndrome and diabetes talk about long term risk for type 2 diabetes, and people who eat badly long term tend to be overweight, likewise, not all overweight or obese individuals have diabetes, the two just coincide because many overweight people don't eat healthy foods AND they overeat. Type 2 diabetes can be caused by putting the body into sugar overdrive, which creates a situation where cells become insulin resistant, insulin which is a hormone that tells cells to open up and take glucose from the blood, no longer performs the way it normally would. When you flood the body with simple carbohydrates on a regular basis for months or years, the odds go way up that your body will become insulin resistant.

take a look at this, it gives a decent overview of type 2 diabetes.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/type-2-diabetes

I've never argued against calories in vs calories out, I'm all about eating the right amount of calories, but I'm also all about eating the right types of calories.

Thanks for the additional info.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,405 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this, it fell off my topics page and I like to re-read it occasionally-like now!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, the large helpings three times a day are my downfall and I recognize why I can't lose weight when doing that. I've started leaving something on my plate every meal, that makes me feel good, and it's true, burgers and fries will make me suffer from heartburn and a tummyache (or more) if I eat them now, anything deep fried, I see why some people have acid reflux all the time.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with 3 or 4. It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you hit the correct macros and size and number of meals has nothing to do with plateuing. This is old school thinking.

Fat is added and lost constantly in a 24hour period. All you have to do is 'take away' more than gets stored in a day and you lose bodyfat.

I've done the research on this, I've looked at the available studies, it does matter how much you eat. I know what some "experts" say, and I know why they say it. For certain things, like that old myth about "keeping your metabolism high" it's a myth, but not for the amount of calories at any one time. The science behind the theory is that while you don't need "many small meals" to boost the metabolism, your body can only use so many carbohydrates at any one time, flood your body, and not only do you overtax your liver, but you force your body to do something with the glucose created that's over and above the glycogen and blood sugar needs, this all becomes fat, you can avoid this by reducing the meal amount and spreading out the calories throughout the day.
    In the same vein, the idea of flooding your body with protein post workout is a bit of a myth, while you can slightly increase muscle repair after a workout by increasing your protein and carbohydrate intake immediately after, it's no where near as dramatic as people once thought, and really, as long as protein levels are consistently high enough, you will be fine.

I won't even touch number four. Nutritional value of your food is important, I never thought I would have to defend that position.

Number four for avoiding plateauing, seriously?

I love science. I love research, and my career is in it. But to me, the one thing that trumps any study, is real world results. Intermittent fasting results tell me more than any study could.

QFT :flowerforyou:
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reading
  • CatAMcC
    CatAMcC Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    what's QFT? popcorn2.gif
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    what's QFT? popcorn2.gif

^ This.

I have wondered, too.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    what's QFT? popcorn2.gif

^ This.

I have wondered, too.

I took a second to JGI ;) ~ it's "quoted for truth".
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh....thank you!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    (this could get a little long)

I'm sure everyone has been there. You start MFP, everything goes great for a while, a few weeks for some, a few months for others, and suddenly you can't seem to lose to save your life! It's happened to us all, myself included, but I have found a few techniques, tricks, and tools along the way that have helped me break the plateau cold! I'll share them, some may work for you, some may not, everyone's body is different, but hey, if I help one person, I feel that my job has been done! :tongue:

So here is a list of reasons people can plateau. If you see something that looks familiar, then you may have already found your solution. See some other things you can do below to help snap out of it.

Possible reasons for plateaus:
    1. Wrong goals - Did you set your expectations too high? 2 lbs/week may not be right for you, you
    could be starving yourself without even realizing. Maybe your weight has changed and you haven't
    redone your goals in a while and you are still using old numbers.
    2. Diet stagnation - we aren't dogs, we need variety in our foods, mix up your meals.
    3. Large meals - Are you having 2 or 3 large calorie meals? Remember, the body doesn't work on a
    24 hour clock, if you stuff yourself, even if you stay under your daily caloiric intake, you could be
    adding fat to your frame!
    4. Bad nutritional value - Calorie count is good, but food quality is just as important, 500 calories
    worth of Hoho's or ding dongs won't help your daily intake.
    +5. Stress in your life - Are you stressing about something? Stress can play a huge roll in your
    metabolism.
    6. Health concerns - sometimes it's beyond our control, if all else fails, go see a doctor!

These are just some of the reasons people plateau, there are others, but these are a good starting point.

things you can do (besides adressing the issues above) to help break a plateau.
    1. Give yourself a break - Have one meal that you really shouldn't, go over your calories once every couple of weeks, have that burger and yes, the fries too. It's called shocking your system, and it can actually break the body out of a routine and force it to re-examine itself. It's a legitemate practice endorsed by many trainers and it does work sometimes (It works for me), as long as you don't do it TOO often.
    2. Change up your routine, if you work out every day at 6 am, switch it up, for 1 or 2 days a week, work out at night, or change what you are doing, force your body to use different muscles.
    3. Tweak your nutritional break down, 60% carbs not working for you very well any more? Try 50% and upping your fat and protein intake, add some more fiber, or less fiber if you already have a lot.
    4. Lower your goal settings, 1.5 lbs a week not working, maybe your metabolism is higher then the average and this site is under reporting, over a few weeks, gradually up your calories every few days (say 50 cals more every 2 days) and after a few weeks see if there is any difference.
    5. Change HOW you eat. Sometimes we need to change our habits, do you usually eat at 7am 12:30pm and 6:30pm? Well, try halving your meals and eat at 7, 10, 12:30, 3 and 6. Or vice versa if that's what you are doing.

And last but not least.
    TAKE A LONG LOOK AT YOUR EXPECTATIONS! Most people want it NOW, and more often then not their goals reflect that. Every day tell youself, "I didn't gain this <put your lbs overweight here> overnight, I can't expect to lose them that way." Make yourself believe it. You may want to be thinner now, but your body doesn't! Heck, if your close to your goal, your body may not want to change at all! You have to really look at yourself with a critical eye and think about what you are trying to accomplish.

well, that's all I have, I wonder if this will help anyone, I hope so. Anyway,
    Best wishes all.

QFT:flowerforyou:

(and I looked in your diary. Seems you have only kept the weight off for 5 years:angry: ) Some day I will make it up there to see you swing batta batta battaa sawingggggg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,096 Member
    Options
    what's QFT? popcorn2.gif

OMG OMG Kellch!! Hey, isn't this around your wedding anniversary? Like maybe today? Or am I thinking of someone else?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Um, lol, burgers aren't the answer people. Step away from the burger.

Sometimes burgers are the answer.