How I have avoided plateauing ***length warning***

Options
banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
Hi all,
(this could get a little long)

I'm sure everyone has been there. You start MFP, everything goes great for a while, a few weeks for some, a few months for others, and suddenly you can't seem to lose to save your life! It's happened to us all, myself included, but I have found a few techniques, tricks, and tools along the way that have helped me break the plateau cold! I'll share them, some may work for you, some may not, everyone's body is different, but hey, if I help one person, I feel that my job has been done! :tongue:

So here is a list of reasons people can plateau. If you see something that looks familiar, then you may have already found your solution. See some other things you can do below to help snap out of it.

Possible reasons for plateaus:
1. Wrong goals - Did you set your expectations too high? 2 lbs/week may not be right for you, you
could be starving yourself without even realizing. Maybe your weight has changed and you haven't
redone your goals in a while and you are still using old numbers.
2. Diet stagnation - we aren't dogs, we need variety in our foods, mix up your meals.
3. Large meals - Are you having 2 or 3 large calorie meals? Remember, the body doesn't work on a
24 hour clock, if you stuff yourself, even if you stay under your daily caloiric intake, you could be
adding fat to your frame!
4. Bad nutritional value - Calorie count is good, but food quality is just as important, 500 calories
worth of Hoho's or ding dongs won't help your daily intake.
5. Stress in your life - Are you stressing about something? Stress can play a huge roll in your
metabolism.
6. Health concerns - sometimes it's beyond our control, if all else fails, go see a doctor!

These are just some of the reasons people plateau, there are others, but these are a good starting point.

things you can do (besides adressing the issues above) to help break a plateau.
1. Give yourself a break - Have one meal that you really shouldn't, go over your calories once every couple of weeks, have that burger and yes, the fries too. It's called shocking your system, and it can actually break the body out of a routine and force it to re-examine itself. It's a legitemate practice endorsed by many trainers and it does work sometimes (It works for me), as long as you don't do it TOO often.
2. Change up your routine, if you work out every day at 6 am, switch it up, for 1 or 2 days a week, work out at night, or change what you are doing, force your body to use different muscles.
3. Tweak your nutritional break down, 60% carbs not working for you very well any more? Try 50% and upping your fat and protein intake, add some more fiber, or less fiber if you already have a lot.
4. Lower your goal settings, 1.5 lbs a week not working, maybe your metabolism is higher then the average and this site is under reporting, over a few weeks, gradually up your calories every few days (say 50 cals more every 2 days) and after a few weeks see if there is any difference.
5. Change HOW you eat. Sometimes we need to change our habits, do you usually eat at 7am 12:30pm and 6:30pm? Well, try halving your meals and eat at 7, 10, 12:30, 3 and 6. Or vice versa if that's what you are doing.

And last but not least.
TAKE A LONG LOOK AT YOUR EXPECTATIONS! Most people want it NOW, and more often then not their goals reflect that. Every day tell youself, "I didn't gain this <put your lbs overweight here> overnight, I can't expect to lose them that way." Make yourself believe it. You may want to be thinner now, but your body doesn't! Heck, if your close to your goal, your body may not want to change at all! You have to really look at yourself with a critical eye and think about what you are trying to accomplish.

well, that's all I have, I wonder if this will help anyone, I hope so. Anyway,
Best wishes all.

-Banks

Replies

• banks1850
    Options
    Hi all,
    (this could get a little long)

I'm sure everyone has been there. You start MFP, everything goes great for a while, a few weeks for some, a few months for others, and suddenly you can't seem to lose to save your life! It's happened to us all, myself included, but I have found a few techniques, tricks, and tools along the way that have helped me break the plateau cold! I'll share them, some may work for you, some may not, everyone's body is different, but hey, if I help one person, I feel that my job has been done! :tongue:

So here is a list of reasons people can plateau. If you see something that looks familiar, then you may have already found your solution. See some other things you can do below to help snap out of it.

Possible reasons for plateaus:
    1. Wrong goals - Did you set your expectations too high? 2 lbs/week may not be right for you, you
    could be starving yourself without even realizing. Maybe your weight has changed and you haven't
    redone your goals in a while and you are still using old numbers.
    2. Diet stagnation - we aren't dogs, we need variety in our foods, mix up your meals.
    3. Large meals - Are you having 2 or 3 large calorie meals? Remember, the body doesn't work on a
    24 hour clock, if you stuff yourself, even if you stay under your daily caloiric intake, you could be
    adding fat to your frame!
    4. Bad nutritional value - Calorie count is good, but food quality is just as important, 500 calories
    worth of Hoho's or ding dongs won't help your daily intake.
    5. Stress in your life - Are you stressing about something? Stress can play a huge roll in your
    metabolism.
    6. Health concerns - sometimes it's beyond our control, if all else fails, go see a doctor!

These are just some of the reasons people plateau, there are others, but these are a good starting point.

things you can do (besides adressing the issues above) to help break a plateau.
    1. Give yourself a break - Have one meal that you really shouldn't, go over your calories once every couple of weeks, have that burger and yes, the fries too. It's called shocking your system, and it can actually break the body out of a routine and force it to re-examine itself. It's a legitemate practice endorsed by many trainers and it does work sometimes (It works for me), as long as you don't do it TOO often.
    2. Change up your routine, if you work out every day at 6 am, switch it up, for 1 or 2 days a week, work out at night, or change what you are doing, force your body to use different muscles.
    3. Tweak your nutritional break down, 60% carbs not working for you very well any more? Try 50% and upping your fat and protein intake, add some more fiber, or less fiber if you already have a lot.
    4. Lower your goal settings, 1.5 lbs a week not working, maybe your metabolism is higher then the average and this site is under reporting, over a few weeks, gradually up your calories every few days (say 50 cals more every 2 days) and after a few weeks see if there is any difference.
    5. Change HOW you eat. Sometimes we need to change our habits, do you usually eat at 7am 12:30pm and 6:30pm? Well, try halving your meals and eat at 7, 10, 12:30, 3 and 6. Or vice versa if that's what you are doing.

And last but not least.
    TAKE A LONG LOOK AT YOUR EXPECTATIONS! Most people want it NOW, and more often then not their goals reflect that. Every day tell youself, "I didn't gain this <put your lbs overweight here> overnight, I can't expect to lose them that way." Make yourself believe it. You may want to be thinner now, but your body doesn't! Heck, if your close to your goal, your body may not want to change at all! You have to really look at yourself with a critical eye and think about what you are trying to accomplish.

well, that's all I have, I wonder if this will help anyone, I hope so. Anyway,
    Best wishes all.

-Banks
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    This is GREAT advice Banks! And I think it is important for EVERYone to read and look at all the possibilities for plateau. I am just starting out again so not at a plateau (yet) but I know we all face it at some point and it's good to see all the factors that can play on it! AND...I think that your suggestions for over-coming it are W O N D E R F U L !!!! It gives several options for us to try.

THANKS for posting this!!!! I'm sure it will help a LOT of people!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    Glad to see you are a free man (and I should assume a happy home-owner)

Kim
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    This is fabulous! I have printed it out to add to my Banks-Book-of-Weight-Loss-Wisdom. When your book officially comes out in print, I'll buy it, too . . .

Seriously, this is really good advice. I have not yet plateaued but I have re-gained an initial drop so I am actually going to integrate some of your excellent suggestions (especially about mixing up my eating patterns and exercise regimens) and see how that works.

Thanks, Banks!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Thanks!
    Glad to see you are a free man (and I should assume a happy home-owner)

Kim

Nope, they didnt' accept our bid. No worries though, we are looking at a few other places. Everything happens for a reason. :tongue:
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I thought you were bragging when I saw the length warning Banks.:bigsmile:
  • klarson
    klarson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    "TAKE A LONG LOOK AT YOUR EXPECTATIONS! Most people want it NOW, and more often then not their goals reflect that."

Sooooo true! Nothing that is really truly good in our lives ever comes easy or without some amount of patience and hard work!

woot!woot! :bigsmile:
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Banks ~ have we told you we loved you lately :love:
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    Very good info. Thanks for sharing
  • LadyZen
    LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Banks!:smile: I really do appreciate all your wisdom and patience with us who are learning their way around this thing called losing weight. This site and the people on it have definitely been the reason that I have not given up. Thanks to all again:flowerforyou:
  • PrincessDesiray
    PrincessDesiray Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks banks!!!!
  • LadyZen
    Options

You're so bad!!!:blushing:
  • banks1850
    Options

I don't need to brag! :embarassed:

LOL, no wait. I'm irish. :sad:
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options

hehehheheehehehehe....
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ooooh...a plateau doesn't sound so bad now that I know that a big burger and fries may cure it! LOL I am just being facetious, but honestly...if I can continue to lose weight my shocking my system with a burger every once in a blue moon...that sounds good to me!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    thanks again Banks...

and i just have to say, that burgers get a bad wrap!

its really all about the particular burger..lol...i dont eat much beef at all, but, my man does, and I make alot of burgers.

the key is that they are homemade so i know the type of beef, how much fat is in them, what kind of bread there is for a bun, and exact amounts of condiments! Its part of a healthy meal most times, if it is not paired with all of the greasy options! Yay for burgers! (in moderation)
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Great Info!

Thanks! :drinker:
  • banks1850
    Options
    thanks again Banks...

and i just have to say, that burgers get a bad wrap!

its really all about the particular burger..lol...i dont eat much beef at all, but, my man does, and I make alot of burgers.

the key is that they are homemade so i know the type of beef, how much fat is in them, what kind of bread there is for a bun, and exact amounts of condiments! Its part of a healthy meal most times, if it is not paired with all of the greasy options! Yay for burgers! (in moderation)

True enough lady. I should probably have clarified. Burgers in and of themself are fine. Mostly I was thinking of the ones that you get in a store, with 25% fat, 8 oz., Big, white flour buns, some kind of cream based sauce on it, deep fried french fries...etc all that junk.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good Advice. I have hit many plateaus it is like okay I am working out like a crazy women and eating right and staying the same. Probally because I have not eaten fries for like 5 years LOL I better shock my system more its so used to the healthy mode. Gotta say if you do shock your system with say fries or ice cream BEWARE TO NOT FEEL TOO GOOD!!:) Been there

Alisha
  • LadyZen
    Options

hahahahahaha:laugh: :blushing: