No eating Fruit to help lose those pounds!!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I can see how this would work when you are trying to rush losing weight. But lots of good things come from fruit and for most people that have sugar cravings, fruit is a fantastic way to get the right kind of sugars in your body. You body is meant to make insulin for when you get too high, but I'd recommend cutting sugar intake from other sources. Fruit has the good sugar!

fruit sugars are sugars, as far as your body is concerned. the insulin response will not be that different either. the guy said: vegetables instead of fruits. it's about the sugar/carbohydrate content. it's unprecedented in human history, having so much fruit around, all year. in my climate, seasonally, i can have berries in summer, tree fruits like apples and pears in autumn, and that's it. perhaps the rare orange in winter, and one banana every year, not two a day! that's a "normal" pattern of fruit consumption. fruit is rare, vegetables are far more common and should be far more common in anyone's diet, I think.
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hiya people,

Here is a tip from my nutritionist:

Don't eat fruit! I thought he was just being weird and stupid, however he is making sense and I have seen the proof. I have lost a significant amount of weight on top of what I was previously, because of this. I would estimate an extra pound a week. It is hard to say for definite, but I would be confident it's a pound or damn close to it.

The logic is that fruit contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and sugar. This sugar makes the body produce insulin. However if you’re eating vegetables instead you are still getting the vitamins (things like peppers which have far more Vit-C than oranges) but without the sugars.

This has seriously helped me keep way below my carb intake for the day as well as hit all my vitamins and minerals including proteins etc etc.

Hope this helps people as much as it has me.

Michael

Quite simply, your nutritionist is spouting off out dated information. Total calories and macros play a much larger factor in weight loss that sugars, GI, GL, Nutrional Timing, etc. As long as you are hitting your macros and calories, there is no scientific reason to eliminate fruit from your diet. (Especially when you can plan your total calories and macros in advanced on this website.)
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Quick comment..... nutritionists do not need degrees.
    And since when does a personal trainer have degrees in nutrition? I know some may, but I'm pretty positive it's not a requirement.

Just my thought. I personally wouldn't listen to anyone until I knew their credentials.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    the only sugars I eat come from fruits and HEALTHY cereals, like cheerios. I occasionally drink 4 oz of no sugar added Welch's 100 % Concord Grape Juice. No matter what I eat my body produces too much insulin. I am insulin resistant so my insulin gets stored as fat and my body makes more. I take medicine to control it, but it still happens. I cut out all junk food. I eat a lot of strawberries and grapes and blueberries and raspberries and when they are in season I like fresh Gala apples and apple cider.

Well done for eating fruit, but cheerios aren't healthy at all. Try to aim for cereals with less that 15g of sugar per 100g. Cheerios are very high in sugar. Sorry!
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have berries every other day with my natural yogurt and honey, and I put fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice in my homemade salad dressing and sometimes lime or lemon in my water. I agree, it does seem to help with weight loss to avoid fruit.
    At the same time, an apple a day is not a bad thing either. I think moderation is the key and fitting it into your calories per day. Definitely doing without fruit jump starts a diet but I would not do it forever, as they are good for you.

Good post tho, interesting ideas.
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I can go without fruit. I have problems getting my veggies in. But I find this very interesting...

Me too. I could eat fruit all day.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I eat lot's of fruit and carbs... But then again I work out hard and starting to build some serious muscle. Need to keep the machine fueled. Losing weight also.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    And since when does a personal trainer have degrees in nutrition? I know some may, but I'm pretty positive it's not a requirement.

Just my thought. I personally wouldn't listen to anyone until I knew their credentials.

Being a PT does not automatically mean you have a degree in nutrition-you are correct. It is NOT a requirement. I went to a PT center a few weeks back and they had a nutritionist on deck, but the PT's were simply PT's.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I think this is a classic case of anyone can find a person, article, "study" etc. that can justify or condemn just about everything if they look hard enough...

You don't even have to look that hard. Pick any theory and research it. You'll find data supporting it and data trashing it.
  • SwissMaedel
    Options
    Yeah, I think you're right. I mean, you don't have to avoid it completely, but if you're just eating fruit all day long to make up for non-sugary foods, that probably won't help you lose weight since fruit has a lot of sugar in it.
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me to keep it in moderation. Of course they are healthy but also high in sugar. I would say 1-3 servings a day and i like to have it after a workout or so to fill in the depleted glycogen.. plus ive heard ur body digests sugars fast after a workout. Correct me if im wrong

No you are right :) Mixed with protein is a good after workout smoothie :)
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    My nutritionist, who is a also a professor, says the complete opposite. She says that fruits and veggies are GOOD for you. I mean, obviously if you're eating a ton of fruits and no veggies then your carb intake will be higher. But like other people have said, moderation is key. As is with everything else. For me, I'm more of a fruit person b/c I like sweets so I'll eat a lot of fruit in the summer time so I don't go for the chocolate.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit every day and have lost a minimum of 5 lbs a week. So.... whatever. I prefer to LIVE my life. I also eat Oreos. And chocolate... And still lose... I choose to LIVE life rather than cut back so drastically that I WILL fail. Cuz eventually your body catches up to all the tricks.
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options

Nutritionists don't need degrees? Because to be a registered dietitian by the American Dietetic Association you have to go to an accredited school by them and complete a year long dietetic internship that is also accredited by them. I'm in school to be an RD and have been told that to practice, you have to go through schooling...and I've always been under the impression that nutritionists are the same as registered dietitians unless they didn't go to an accredited school...however, I could be wrong. But either way, I'd imagine that you'd have to go to school because looking stuff up on the internet isn't always helpful if you're looking at old research, not in the right places, etc. Sorry to go on & on, I just needed to say that :)
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I think this is a classic case of anyone can find a person, article, "study" etc. that can justify or condemn just about everything if they look hard enough...

You don't even have to look that hard. Pick any theory and research it. You'll find data supporting it and data trashing it.

Yep- exactly my point. I remember a post on here a few years ago about how McDonald's fries have less fat (saturated fat, maybe... I don't even remember the details) than a cup of whole milk, and the person posting argued that McDonald's fries would be the better option :noway:
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    not true. fruit sugar is fructose, a simple monosaccharide, whereas regular sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide containing glucose & fructose. glucose is broken down in the body in several metabolic processes (glycolysis, CAC, etc) to produce ATP (energy) which then signals the release of insulin.

fructose, however, can't be used the same way as glucose. if sugar is needed for energy, then the body will convert fructose to glucose in a separate metabolic pathway. but most of the time, fructose is converted into glycogen and stored away.

so, there is a difference between the sugars. they can have the same effect, but not nearly to the same extent, hence why most nutritionists say they are okay in moderation.

i'm studying pharmacy & have taken several classes on this stuff (biochemistry 1&2, mammalian physiology, etc). if you really want to know more about your body & how it breaks down the foods you eat, look into biochemical research :)