No reason to continue

Options

Replies

• dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    Stay encouraged, lady.... when I hit 202, I stayed there for 3 to 4 weeks... With support, I kept pushing through it... eventually it started coming off. just finding out what your body needs. Chin up!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It's not a race it's a journey. 14 lbs is a great loss. Next time you go to the store, pick up 3 - 5 lb bags of sugar or look at the butter section and see what 14 boxes of butter look like. You WANT to do this. It's hard to make lifestyle changes. Just like any other addiction it takes time for your body and mind to detox. You seem to eat out alot, for some it is a social thing. I agree with others... packaged food should be for convenience only. If you have the time, take the time to prepare something you really enjoy.

Start a journal! Use the one on MFP or start a personal one. Two things, allow yourself a few hours to write your first entry.... emotionally dump all of your doubts, fears, pains and sorrows in it first. Then take at least 15 - 30 minutes to write all of the good things, things you've done well, accomplishments, proud moments. After the initial day, take 10 min a day but ALWAYS end the journal on a good note. Go back and read now and then to see where you were emotionally at the time.

If you are using Word... there is a way to password protect it. Many people are afraid that someone will find what they've written.

You have to choose to live better for you. Sometimes we have to break it down, focusing on each choice - bite - meal - drink - day - hour. Don't give up! You are young and starting this change was the hardest part.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Understanding Weight Loss Plateaus

•Dieting Plateau
    Almost everyone reaches a weight loss plateau at some point in their fitness lives. The

reason is that the human body works hard to keep energy intake and output in balance. In

other words, your body does not like to lose weight (not a revelation, huh?).

After your initial weight loss, your progress will slow down and eventually stop even

though your exercise and food intake is consistent. The bottom line is that the very

efforts you make to burn more calories may eventually slow it down.
    Problem 1. Lowering your calories too much
    Fact: It takes calories to burn calories. When you decrease your food intake, your body

simply lowers its metabolic rate in response. This still allows the body to function

properly, but ultimately your body requires fewer calories which creates hunger and

prevents you from losing fat.

Solution:
    Keep your calories slightly below your maintenance calories so that your energy and

metabolism remain high. A deficit greater than 500-700 calories makes it much more

difficult to maintain your lean body mass. To determine your approximate daily caloric

needs, use this formula:

Men
    kg (body weight) x 24 = kcal/day
    Women
    kg (body weight) x 23 = kcal/day

note: kg = pounds divided by 2.2 (i.e.: 180 lbs / 2.2 = 81.8 kg)

My Fitness Pal will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate to determine how many calories

you need to function, and add the calories you burn through out the day and with

exercise.

Problem 2. Loss of lean body mass
    Fact: Muscle burns fat and losing muscle means burning fewer calories. Lean body mass

uses five times the calories as fat mass so, if you lose it, your metabolism drops and

your weight loss stops.
    Solution:
    Make sure your exercise program is combined with a fully nourished body. You can

accomplish this with a diet that creates a safe calorie deficit along with some type of

multivitamin to help with any nutrient deficiencies.

Problem 3. Weight loss
    A loss of any amount of weight will lead to a reduced energy requirement and by

updateing your weight loss on MFP it will compensate for the weight loss.

Solution:
    Make sure you start (or continue) a weight training program to help increase lean body

mass, which can help compensate for the loss of calories.

Problem 4. The 'Adaptation' Phase Ends
    When you start a new exercise program, your body responds because it is required to make

numerous changes to adjust to different workloads. So, your muscles are rebuilding

themselves and this consumes all kinds of calories. But, at some point your body will

stop adapting to the new workload and, as a result, you burn less calories for the same

activities. My Fitness Pal wont compensate for this.

Solution:
    Don't let your body get used to the exercise. Maintain your body's adaptation period by

changing the intensity, duration, frequency and/or the mode of exercise and include

interval training if necessary.

Problem 5: Exercise Efficiency
    The more you do something, the better you get at it. As your body becomes better at

performing your exercises, it can actually use fewer calories during the exercise. Think

of it this way: trained athletes often use fewer calories than untrained athletes with

similar body types and workouts. So, if this describes where you are, consider yourself

a trained athlete and read on! Again My Fitness Pal wont compensate for this.

Solution:
    The solution to this is the same as for Problem 4; don't get used to the exercise.

Concentrate on more dramatic changes such as trying brand new activities. For example,

if you use the treadmill for two weeks, switch to something different like the rowing

machine or the bike. Don't forget to make changes in your weight training routine as

well!

Problem 6: Over-training
    Just like not eating enough can lower the amount calories you burn, so can over-

training. When you exercise too much, there is a point of diminishing returns when an

increase in exercise energy expenditure is negated by an equal decrease in non-exercise

energy expenditure. In other words, when you increase your exercise intensity, your body

responds by decreasing the amount of calories you burn during the rest of your day.

Solution:
    Take time to recover. If you reach exercise burnout, this is a great time to take a

break for a few days, or try something gentle like yoga or a stretching routine. After

you've rested, get back to exercise but lighten up your original routine and increase

your intensity only as necessary. Nor this

7. Enhanced Physical Condition
    As you get into better shape, your body is more efficient and it costs fewer calories to

operate. Improved health means a lower resting metabolic rate and fewer calories are

burned during normal daily activities. Part of this is because your cardio-pulmonary

system is more efficient now and you have a lower resting heart rate. Nor this.

Solution:
    Congratulations! You're officially in shape and healthy. Focus on that and feel good

about yourself. Concentrate on changing your routine as described in Solution 5

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/weightplateaus.htm
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Hey! You've lost 14 pounds and you want to give up? If I can stick to it while only being 4 pounds down since February, you can do it. I was down 7 at one point. Put some back on when I got sick. I get super frustrated and feel like giving up all the time, but I know I can't. And the support I get here has talked me down off the ledge a couple of times already. People have told me they've had plateaus that have lasted several months, but then they finally start losing again after a lot of persistence and trial and error. Hang in there. Tweak a few things. Be patient. I believe it's in the cards for you or you wouldn't be asking for help in the first place.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I really feel like I have no reason to continue down the path of trying to lose weight. I am currently about 40 lbs over weight and have been on MFP for 3 months. I am seeing no results at all. I am no longer even seeing the little things to keep me going. I am working out harder than I have since college sports and I am eating the healthiest I have in my entire life but can't seem to lose anything. I am so discouraged and feel like there is no reason to continue. I give myself a free day every week, I vary my exercises, keep right around my net and under my goal 6 days a week. I work out 6-7 days a week and I have plateaued for the past 2 1/2 months. I lost weight right away but can't get past 201. This is so frustrating. I have always been able to lose weight in the past (between kids etc) but this time I can't. Not only has the scale gone up (today at 205) but my inches all over my body have gone up. It is so frustrating to do everything everyone tells me to, I work out more eat less and wayyyyy healthier and here I am still fat, no progres and frustrated. I would rather stay this weight and enjoy my fatty crappy foods again than work my butt off to stay this weight. I am really looking for a reason to not give up, because I am right there wondering why I should keep going.

Are you sure you're writing down EVERYTHING you eat & tracking it? And measuring?? MEAsURE EVERYTHING TO THE T! I'd really focus on measuring & tracking every little thing you eat! If you still have these odds results I'd go straight to a doctor. Could be a thyroid issue or something else. If you already are tracking everything & pushing yourself in the gym I'd immediately go to a doctor.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Working out 6-7 days a week hard? My bet is you are not eating enough.
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump..lots of good advice here.

Don't give up!
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    Kristen, you may be getting sorry you asked for advice by now, and I apologize for not reading all the other posts carefully, but 6 pages is too much! Many of these issues have at least been touched on by others. Nevertheless, here's my 2 cents' worth:
    When you aren't getting the desired results, examine the underlying assumptions, such as:

1. The goals are set correctly: you may have assessed your baseline activity incorrectly, or you may be an "outlier" - abnormal due to genetics, medical conditions, or just luck of the draw. For instance, it appears I underestimated my activity level, and am probably losing a little too fast (after the first week of water loss).
    2. The MFP database is always correct: no way! For instance, my saturated fat goal and my polyunsaturated fat goal are each appearing as 100 gm - approximately 1800 calories daily! Many of the database entries are user-generated, and are off-target in at least a small way, or perhaps the food isn't exactly what it appears to be from the listing.
    3. Published calorie counts are always right: restaurant foods may be way off from their published information, or published recipes may be off.
    4. You are correctly assessing calorie expenditure in exercise: as others have pointed out, the MFP estimates may be way off for you, and HRM data is only an estimate.

A couple of other observations: sodium intake is not likely an issue. Sodium is responsible for short-term fluid retention, but usually this will level off fairly quickly, unless you are otherwise gaining weight. It would not explain, for instance, a 6-week plateau. And, if you are otherwise eating well, it is generally okay not to "eat all your exercise calories", as long as your daily deficit does not exceed 1000. For example, if your target deficit is 700, you need not eat extra for the first 300 exercise calories unless you want to, but you should be sure to cover everything past that level, unless you are under medical supervision.

Hope this helps.
  • georgiajuly
    Options
    Kristin, sorry for the misspelling!
  • ladyshills
    Options
    Wow you have really gotten some wonderful advice here! I have been on Weight Watchers for 8.5 months & had only lost 25 pounds when I hit the plateau that lasted 4 months!! I found this site 2.5 weeks ago & have lost 6.6 since then. What I found was by balancing my nutrients (watching fat, carbs & protein) & trying to keep them all in healthy range it broke my plateau! I also have low thyroid so it is harder for me to lose. I will be using alot of the suggestions you have here to help me as well. Please get your thyroid checked. I read the other day that 70% of thyroid problems are undiagnosed. Good luck!
  • rincarin
    rincarin Posts: 3
    Options
    I felt the exact same way as you but seeing all of these motivating posts makes me want to continue. I think you should continue. I feel like you a lot because I say why am I eating right and exercising and losing nothing but others can eat whatever they want, It sucks but I am determined to stick with this. It will work eventually and i noticed you have lost some weight. I have been gaining when I worked out and ate right. But I am going to stop the cycle of keep getting on the scale.

KEEP AT IT. U WILL SEE MORE RESULTS!
  • kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well, after reading what a lot of you have said, I have myself gone back over my diary (which I am sorry but I made avail. for friends only for personal reasons) and I found that I am eating out a lot more than I even realized. I am happy that the amount is down from how often I used to as well as I have changed what I eat when I eat out. I look at a nutrition guide and decide before I go, but maybe it isn't enough. Most of my frustration lies in the fact that, it may not look like it to you, but I have made some major life style changes. I used to never work out, never eat healthy, never watch calories or any other nutrients, and I didn't care. But despite my major changes (which I need to continue to make) I have had very very minimal results. I lost all my weight in the first 2 weeks and have been up and down and on a plateau since. My goal is 1.5lbs a week and I have missed two goals of being below 200. I was on the road to be below 200 on Feb 22 my goal was March 14, and then I changed it to April 1. Still can't seem to get there. It is hard after all the hard work I have put in to miss my goals. It seems that the math should be simple, eat less, work out, make healthier choices and you will lose weight. I am not experiencing this! A lot of people have given me a lot to reflect on. I plan to take a couple of days, review what I have learned and then start with a whole new game plan. Thanks to you all for all the advice and new insights. This is something I am pretty well educated on, but there is always something new to learn which many of you have offered.
    Thanks again,
    Kristin
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat as you. I have wanted to give up b/c there have been numerous people who have joined after me and lost my total amount needed in like 2-3months. I have been working out since 2006 but didn't start watching what I ate until Oct. Even though I'm only down 12lbs and record/weigh everything I eat it keeps me from eating to much junk. From Oct 2010 to Jan 2011 I had only lost 1lbs. Then Feb-March somehow I lost 6.5lbs.

Hopefully you can figure out something that works for you. I know I still haven't. I would suggest adding some strength training into your workout plan. I do weights MWF. Strength helps build muscle and burn fat. I know that I need cardio but I hate it so much I just don't do it. Which could be why I'm not losing, but MFP has the calorie deficit so you would think I could lose something. I have it set for 1.0lb a week.

Just keep trucking along and we can get there slow and steady. If you lose it slowly then you will have less chance of excess fat hanging around and can tighten up.
  • samsoto167
    Options
    I hope your not thinking of weight loss as in terms of what you see on that show biggest loser. We are not all going to lose 4,5,or even 10 lbs in a weeks time . besides who has 8 hrs a day to spend in a gym . someone said it may be muscle your gaining which does weigh more than fat. Another person commented on the fact that you have to be feeling so much better health wise than what you did those few months ago. Keep your head up .Push through the wall that may or may not be holding you back. And remember we have your back. No one here wants anyone to give up there dream of being healthier and losing some weight in the process. The next time you step on that scale you WILL see a difference.

P.S. you ever check the scale to make sure its calibrated right. lol
  • lilyrossell
    lilyrossell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You MUst continue. You won't see immediate results but the body is changing little by little. I was thinking the same thing. But actually as a motivation this weekend I went shopping and I have lost 10 pounds and I couldn't believe that I was size Large in some items!!! I was vey happy because i was wearing X1 or xxl and I know it depends on the brand but I think I have done a little progress even though we don't notice it at all. Keep going!!
  • georgiajuly
    Options
    Re: (how do you people cite these to your post?)
    "Well, after reading what a lot of you have said, I have myself gone back over my diary (which I am sorry but I made avail. for friends only for personal reasons) and I found that I am eating out a lot more than I even realized. I am happy that the amount is down from how often I used to as well as I have changed what I eat when I eat out. I look at a nutrition guide and decide before I go, but maybe it isn't enough. Most of my frustration lies in the fact that, it may not look like it to you, but I have made some major life style changes. I used to never work out, never eat healthy, never watch calories or any other nutrients, and I didn't care. But despite my major changes (which I need to continue to make) I have had very very minimal results. I lost all my weight in the first 2 weeks and have been up and down and on a plateau since. My goal is 1.5lbs a week and I have missed two goals of being below 200. I was on the road to be below 200 on Feb 22 my goal was March 14, and then I changed it to April 1. Still can't seem to get there. It is hard after all the hard work I have put in to miss my goals. It seems that the math should be simple, eat less, work out, make healthier choices and you will lose weight. I am not experiencing this! A lot of people have given me a lot to reflect on. I plan to take a couple of days, review what I have learned and then start with a whole new game plan. Thanks to you all for all the advice and new insights. This is something I am pretty well educated on, but there is always something new to learn which many of you have offered.
    Thanks again,
    Kristin"

Now you're talking! Best of luck.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you're back on track!

I am in a similar situation -- and have about the same amount of weight to lose. I had terrible eating habits before, and although they may not seem perfect to others, have made tremendous strides to become healthier. I lost quite a bit of weight in the beginning, but now have stalled.

I am hoping to see you back on the 'boards!
  • kristinwalker
    Options
    I hope your not thinking of weight loss as in terms of what you see on that show biggest loser. We are not all going to lose 4,5,or even 10 lbs in a weeks time . besides who has 8 hrs a day to spend in a gym . someone said it may be muscle your gaining which does weigh more than fat. Another person commented on the fact that you have to be feeling so much better health wise than what you did those few months ago. Keep your head up .Push through the wall that may or may not be holding you back. And remember we have your back. No one here wants anyone to give up there dream of being healthier and losing some weight in the process. The next time you step on that scale you WILL see a difference.

P.S. you ever check the scale to make sure its calibrated right. lol
    LOL...I don't really watch biggest loser, sometimes on the weekends when my kids are napping and I want to vege out...but I know I don't weigh that much!!! I have checked my scale and I weigh on two separate ones (one digital one analog) to keep them accountable. I only record the losses from one, the same one each time.
  • kristinwalker
    Options
    Re: (how do you people cite these to your post?)

Now you're talking! Best of luck.
    Hit the quote button on the posts you want to quote. It puts it in blue for you and you don't have to copy and paste. You can also delete what you don't want to quote from between the boxes that say quote in them.

And thanks!
  • missie21
    missie21 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I dont get this whole weight loss thing. You put in the work, and the results dont show. But look at your little lady bug...you have lost 14 pounds!!! That is nothing to take lightly. You earned every one of those pounds. There is something that needs tweeked. Somehow we have to find out what that is and it is going to melt away. I know its frustrating. But dont stop. Six months will go by before you know it. You can look back with regret wishing you would have kept going, or you can look at yourself and say dang, I look good!

Come on friends, lets try and help Kristen figure this out. Lets get the lady bug home!!!!
    Well said!!!

I agree.... have you tried measuring yourself instead of getting on the scale?

don't give up......