6 week PUSH YOURSELF challenge, WEEK 1

Options

Replies

• TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    So, I have a question. I forgot to wear my HRM this morning when I went to work on the farm. I did 3.5 hours of work with 30 minute break in between. We were up and down, planting peas, carrying straw and laying it down, carrying boxes of plants.

I plan on using this only as 50-60 minutes of my total 350 minutes, and also as 60 minutes of strength training (I seriously can't move and I have to work 8 hours tonight!)

So, my question, how many calories? I looked online and somewhere it said 1,000 calories!! I only counted it as 600 for today, and I hopefully will remember to wear the HRM next time!

Well, the database, for MFP, says that if I was gardening for 180 minutes, 3 hours, that I would burn 1109 calories. Again, that is just the database for MFP, which is usually a little low. Plus, this was probably more that just gardening. I think you are safe with the guesstimate of using 600 calories and I would easily use it as 60 minutes of strength training. I think you are right one there.
  • TracieJ65
    Options
    Hi all, yes I'm the new guy on the block. I'm new to MFP as well. I started about a month ago at 215lbs, would LOVE to get below 200 and STAY there. I'm shooting to hit 190lbs. I really like the app, I never realized my caloric intake...WOW what an eye opener.

Water - not an issue for me, that's pretty much all I drink. I bring two 1 liter Nalgene bottles of water with me to work.

Exercise - that's going to be the kicker. I haven't really done a lot lately, time seems to be an issue, but Ihope with this challenge, motivation will kick start me to get rid of my 'dunlop' belly into gear.

Literally you are the new guy on the block! :happy:

Welcome to our challenge and actually welcome to MFP. So, you have four days, and yes that is counting today because there is still a lot of today left, to get in as must of the requirements for the week as possible. I will leave it up to you as to how hard you want to push yourself to get in what you can but I would personally push for the requirements. I bet you can do it!!!! What do you think everyone else!

Then on Monday we will start week 2!
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    just not feeling it today , not sure what is wrong with me. so i went for a 2 mile walk and that didnt make me feel better,so i decided to do turbo jam cardio party. still feeling blah.

total mins this week 276.

still drinking my water but i will get it all in . 4/8
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    59 minutes in today. Plus 12 8oz. glasses of water.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks, no workout this morning, just couldn't get up at 6am! But Im off to my 1 hour Yoga torture, oh sorry I mean class :)

So far Im at after today 300 minutes of exercise, 15 of which is strength training with weights, unless you count yoga as strength training?????

Anyway the week is going pretty good so far :)
  • TracieJ65
    Options

Here is my day one results! (disclaimer to those who don't know me well yet, I said I was going to push myself harder than ever before! I normally work out 60-90 minutes every day. So don't be too surprised with what I am pushing myself to do!)

I have had 18 glasses of water to drink but I normally drink right around that, so that part accomplished for the day!

I did 45 minutes on the elliptical, this morning, and per my heart rate monitor burned 698 calories
    I did a 30 minute walk with the dog this afternoon and per my heart rate monitor burned 367 calories
    I did 20 minutes of circuit strength training before my kettle bell class and per my heart rate monitor burned 200 calories
    I did a 40 minute kettle bell class and per my hear rate monitor burned 617 calories

So that is 135 minutes. 20 strength, 85 cardio, and 30 minutes other.

Fantastic day everyone who has reported in today! I am feeding off of the enthusiasm you are all showing towards this challenge!

My results for Tuesday,

35 minutes on the elliptical this morning, burned, per my HRM, 525 calories
    88 minutes of walking the dog during three different walks, burned, per my HRM, 896 calories
    68 minutes of circuit strength training and right into a muscle pump class, burned, per my HRM, 769 calories

Just finished my 18th, 8 oz, glass of water

So, I have met the "minimum" requirement of cardio and strenght but I promise you all there will be more this week.

You are all doing FANTASTIC! I hope you are all proud of yourselves. You are working on a better you by PUSHING YOURSELVES!

My results for Wednesday: (going a little lighter today to recuperate a little bit)

30 minutes of walking the dog burned, per my HRM, 300 calories
    35 minutes of circuit training, (11 minutes cardio, 34 minutes strength training) burned, per my HRM 423 calories

I am at 9 glasses of water but it isn't even noon so I fully expect I will get in the 18 that I ususally do

Hope your Wednesday is going good and you are working the challenge!

Hi to all, happy Thursday and those who have reported, fantastic, way to get it done!

My Thursday results are as follows

30 minute walk/run intervals this morning burned, per my HRM, 350 calories
    15 minutes of roller skating after that burned, per my HRM, 189 calories
    28 minutes on the stationary bicycle burned, per my HRM, 326 calories
    45 minute kettlebell class burned, per my HRM, 701 calories (she kicked our boo-tays tonight)

I have had 18 glasses of water but I think I will get in more because I am still parched after that kettlebell class

WORK IT EVERYONE! Great, great job!
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Here's my numbers for Thursday:

40 minutes elliptical
    30 minutes walking
    60 minutes strength training/circuit training class

For the week: 495 minutes and 4407 calories burned. Glad I made my totals for the week since I will be out of town for the weekend so very little chance to work out (and no access to a computer to log).

Ended up with 9 glasses of water today and counting.

Jenn
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to workout anymore today, apart from my 20 minute outside walk. Then I got home and cleaned some. And then I decided that I wanted to workout, so I went and worked out and got all my planned workout in. I would've scheduled it in throughout the week if I'd missed, but it's better being on track.

Here is my results for day four, week one.
    - I did 20 minutes of 3.0 walking outside and according to MFP, I burned 130 calories.
    - I vaccuumed for 5 minutes, and according to MFP, I burned 14 calories.
    - I did a Fitness magazine walk, doing just 3.0. That lasted 35 minutes and according to my treadmill, I burned 233 calories.
    - My strength training lasted about 10 minutes. According to MFP, I burned 38 calories.
    - I did get in 8 glasses of water, and I'll be counting the extra one I got in yesterday but wasn't able to edit my post.
    Total: 70 minutes. 55 minutes is cardio and 15 minutes is strength.

chickadee's weekly progress:
    Total Minutes: 314
    Cardio Minutes: 265
    Strength Minutes: 39
    Water: 33 glasses

Today I met my strength training goal with 39 minutes. But of course I'll keep it up and log it in. :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Going to have to push myself to get to 3500. I feel so sore as I've mixed up my workout routine and found that I'm not in as good as shape as I thought. :( Switched from elliptical to recumbent bike for a couple of days. Ouch my legs are killing me for sure....

I'm currently @ 2100 so I'm really going to have to tear it up to make the weekly goal...

Oh also don't let your stress and life get in the way of eating. I'm going to have to do better. I tend to get super busy and not eat... Then when I get hungry I totally pig out. More veggies I keep saying more veggies.... :)
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What a tremendously long day!!! I took my granddaughters to a children's theater production of 101 Dalmatians. They were mesmerized. Submitted my last paper before I graduate! And I spent the entire morning trying to figure out how this whole government shutdown affects my agency, my employees, and my own household (dual gov employees). Needless to say, I NEEDED to go to the play! Who has great plans for the weekend??? Let's hear them!

Day 4

Cardio: 20 minutes - Walked (carrying TWO 25lb little girls) - yes my heart rate was high enough to consider it cardio...I checked (should probably count it as strength as well!!! :-) )

Strength: 40 minutes - Resistance Band training - biceps, triceps, lunges, side lifts, shoulders and Ball crunches

Other: 60 minutes - Major housecleaning, nonstop movement but not target heart rate

Week totals: 209 mins/cardio; 98 mins/strength; 94 mins/Other = 431 minutes

Keep up the great work!!!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Going to have to push myself to get to 3500. I feel so sore as I've mixed up my workout routine and found that I'm not in as good as shape as I thought. :( Switched from elliptical to recumbent bike for a couple of days. Ouch my legs are killing me for sure....

I'm currently @ 2100 so I'm really going to have to tear it up to make the weekly goal...

Oh also don't let your stress and life get in the way of eating. I'm going to have to do better. I tend to get super busy and not eat... Then when I get hungry I totally pig out. More veggies I keep saying more veggies.... :)
    I did that on April 1, switched to new workouts. I was sore that whole weekend. It gets better. I know you've got this! You can make it to 3500.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    sherrillg, you did great today! And I must say that that 101 Dalmations production sounds awesome! I love theater performances, even though I've never been to one.
  • jodik11
    jodik11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey Tracie, I'm at 2804 calories burned this week! I'm almost there! I'm hoping to go way over the 3500 calories after my workouts this weekend. Thanks for the motivation!! :smile:
  • TracieJ65
    Options

Here is my day one results! (disclaimer to those who don't know me well yet, I said I was going to push myself harder than ever before! I normally work out 60-90 minutes every day. So don't be too surprised with what I am pushing myself to do!)

I have had 18 glasses of water to drink but I normally drink right around that, so that part accomplished for the day!

I did 45 minutes on the elliptical, this morning, and per my heart rate monitor burned 698 calories
    I did a 30 minute walk with the dog this afternoon and per my heart rate monitor burned 367 calories
    I did 20 minutes of circuit strength training before my kettle bell class and per my heart rate monitor burned 200 calories
    I did a 40 minute kettle bell class and per my hear rate monitor burned 617 calories

So that is 135 minutes. 20 strength, 85 cardio, and 30 minutes other.

Fantastic day everyone who has reported in today! I am feeding off of the enthusiasm you are all showing towards this challenge!

My results for Tuesday,

35 minutes on the elliptical this morning, burned, per my HRM, 525 calories
    88 minutes of walking the dog during three different walks, burned, per my HRM, 896 calories
    68 minutes of circuit strength training and right into a muscle pump class, burned, per my HRM, 769 calories

Just finished my 18th, 8 oz, glass of water

So, I have met the "minimum" requirement of cardio and strenght but I promise you all there will be more this week.

You are all doing FANTASTIC! I hope you are all proud of yourselves. You are working on a better you by PUSHING YOURSELVES!

My results for Wednesday: (going a little lighter today to recuperate a little bit)

30 minutes of walking the dog burned, per my HRM, 300 calories
    35 minutes of circuit training, (11 minutes cardio, 34 minutes strength training) burned, per my HRM 423 calories

I am at 9 glasses of water but it isn't even noon so I fully expect I will get in the 18 that I ususally do

Hope your Wednesday is going good and you are working the challenge!

Hi to all, happy Thursday and those who have reported, fantastic, way to get it done!

My Thursday results are as follows

30 minute walk/run intervals this morning burned, per my HRM, 350 calories
    15 minutes of roller skating after that burned, per my HRM, 189 calories
    28 minutes on the stationary bicycle burned, per my HRM, 326 calories
    45 minute kettlebell class burned, per my HRM, 701 calories (she kicked our boo-tays tonight)

I have had 18 glasses of water but I think I will get in more because I am still parched after that kettlebell class

WORK IT EVERYONE! Great, great job!

My Friday results are as follow

40 minutes of running walking burned, per my HRM, 610 calories (actually I would run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute, and hula hoop for one minute. Did these intervals for 40 minutes.)
    30 minutes of roller skating burned, per my HRM, 360 calories
    40 minutes of a stretch & strength class burned, per my HRM, 389 calories

I have had 13 glasses of water, so far, but there is a lot of day left and that is pretty much all I drink.

We are two days away from Sunday and I have to say I am getting very excited to hear from EVERYONE and see the results of those that have not posted anything yet. I sincerely hope you are all working it and have kept the challenge alive within yourselves.
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So, a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday update:

Wednesday I did a run on the treadmill for 45 minutes and burned 476 calories.
    Thursday I did farm work for 4 hours. I plan on only counting this for 60 minutes, and since I didn't bring my HRM, I am counting it as 600 calories this week.
    Unfortunately, today (Friday), I could barely walk. It hurts so much to even move. I took the day off, which means I will need to push myself the rest of the week.

Time total so far: 200 minutes
    Calories so far: 2044

Oh, I only got in about 6 glasses yesterday, but I am up to 7 today already and it's only 6 p.m. here.
  • MoM2LayLa09
    MoM2LayLa09 Posts: 152
    Options
    Day 3 & Day 4

Okay - So i'm not going to pretend all this is easy, cuz it aint! lol but i'm really doing my best and this is the first week in a long time I have at least 4 workouts.

18 total glasses of water yesterday and today

Thursday - 65min on elliptical
    Friday - 32 minutes of Netflix cardio videos
    Friday - 15 minutes of strength training

Totals for the week -
    Cardio 246/350 ( gotta admit i'm nervous about getting to this goal but i'm trying! )
    Strength Training 15/30 ( i'll get this is somehow )
    Water - 45C/56C
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    well today is a bust no exercise today i just couldnt do it but i have met my goals already for the week i am still struggling really hard with water i just dontg like it all but ill do better tomorrow gonna go for run/ slash walk and gonna get in 9 cups of water
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Alirght made it to the gym and did 45 min bike random hills and Ellip. for 35 min. Then I walked the mile home in a 50mph wind blowing me back up hill. I thought I was on the treadmill. LOL.

I forgot my HRM so guessed at what I thought it was based on time etc. I looked at MFP and they're high I believe and even my inputs from previous seem high(even though I know I was wearing an HRM). So I low balled my workout. For example yesterday I rode the bike for 65 min and burned 550, so today I logged 450 and then 354 for the 35 min on Ellip and walk.

I'm feeling better about making the weekly goal of 3500 cals and way over on time already. I also am good with the ratio's of cardio vs. strength training. :) I've got water down. :)))

So glad to see you all kicking it as well. Keep up the great work and this pushing myself is making me sore. How about you?
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    well today is a bust no exercise today i just couldnt do it but i have met my goals already for the week i am still struggling really hard with water i just dontg like it all but ill do better tomorrow gonna go for run/ slash walk and gonna get in 9 cups of water

have you tried some flavored water packets?
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I did some run/walk intervals tonight for a total of 60 minutes. Yesterday was my rest day so I didn't workout but I got 6 glasses of water in. I'm behind on water today but I'm trying to get it all in. I'm barely over half way done with my minutes but I have theist free time on the weekends so I will get 2 big workouts in in the next couple days. Great job everyone!

Cardio minutes: 25
    Strength minutes: 0
    Other minutes: 35

Total minutes: 190/350