PLEASE educate yourselves!

Options
123457»

Replies

• DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have my own two cents to throw in here as well - there are so many diagnoses, like PCOS, that isn't diagnosed for many reasons - the symptoms present differently in each patient, and many women don't go to the doctor to ge things checked out, so the docs may not be looking for it. Also, symptoms are every bit as important as lab tests - there are plenty of symptoms that are too embarrassing to discuss for some, but without them, a wrong diagnosis can be delivered. People look at someone who is overweight and assume that they are lazy - if you looked at me, you'd never know that I can do push-ups like a guy, box, and complete an Insanity DVD. I also have normal blood sugar, normal BP, and I eat within my calories (for the most part, everyone gets wiggle room on that one!). I, however, have PCOS, so I have major difficulty losing weight, and just by looking at me, things appear very different than they actually are.

For the doctors and nurses who gained weight in school - lack of sleep alone can cause that, and we know how little sleep they get for the first 80 years of their education. (LOL!) I think that looking to doctors and nurses for guidance is one thing, putting them on pedestals like they can do no wrong is completely different. My OBGYN wasn't convinced that I had PCOS and didn't want to order some of the labwork - he felt as if the endo I had chosen could do a more thorough job and connect the dots further because my case wasn't classic (if there can be such a thing). I had a great deal of respect for him because he was totally OK with my pushing for more info and following up with the endo. I have been put on the medication I need to reverse symptoms, and even though I take almost 30 pills a day to teach my body what to do, I do it because the docs and nurses know better than I do about all of this. I researched and raised plenty of questions, but I left the medicine to the professionals. I go to my follow up appointments and discuss all of the crazy things that happen to me, and these nurses are the kindest ever - you can tell the ones who are going to be more blunt, but since they are there to help me save my life, I'm OK with that!!!!! Those same blunt nurses are also the most compassionate after you have lost a baby or have such embarrassing symptoms that you can't hardly talk about it......

Thank you! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I can honestly say I started nursing school quiet, shy, and ridiculously polite. I got ran all over by the nurses I worked with when doing clinicals, doctors walked right past me as if I wasn't there (not because they were rude, but because they are busy and if you need their attention for something, you damn well better GRAB it), and patients really blew me off.

One day, in clinicals, I had a particularly difficult pt. He was in for diabetic ketoacidosis, refused to take a bath and stunk to high heaven, and was just RUDE to me and EVERY one he encountered, including the doctors. By the end of that day I was in tears because I just didn't know what to do.
    On the 2nd day of caring for him, during my lunch break I caught him in the cafeteria eating apple cobbler. That was IT! I stormed over to his table, yanked the fork out of his hand, and asked him if he wanted to die? He stared at me with a blank expression on his face, then looked REALLY angry and I started to panic. But then something amazing happened! He THANKED ME. He cried and said thank you!
    From then on out he was cooperative, he ASKED for further diabetic teaching and ASKED for a nutritionist consult. He also came to my graduation and we STILL keep in contact. And his last HA1C was 8.1 =)

....and if that was the only patient you saved that day, you saved one!!!! Good numbers, too! LOL! Nicely done, and way to get through to someone who probably couldn't be reached because no one had the guts to do it!

and I've never been sweet and polite since! I'm not rude, I can't recall a patient that has ever told me I'm rude. I know I've offended patients by being blunt, but that's going to happen. They have to hear the truth, that's just the way it is! But once they get past that, you can bet they thank me later! I will rock a baby, I will hold a hand, I will cry along with that poor mother who just miscarried. I care, I DO care about my patients, every single one of them! I desperately miss being in a clinic/hopsital setting on a daily basis! But I will not coddle!
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    I for one trust healers more than some dr's and nurses. Do not get me wrong there is a need for Dr.s and Nurses for sure without question.

Being blunt or in your words honest is not the same as rude.

Being mad or getting frustrated when someone doesn't listen to you even though you know better, is more a form of righteousness not professionalism.

I deal with people every day that do not listen to what will work in their lives and then I get blamed. Does that make me rant and rave? No, because it is their life and because I would be lying as would each of you getting all up in arms about how people don't listen.....if I or you said we listened every time someone told us something that can help us...Growing up with our parents for just an example...

As far is being overweight because of long hours in University.. I have met many nurses, Dr.s, lawyers, I could keep going on, even a therapist like myself and yet none have blamed their schooling for their weight. Over eating...I know, don't mean to sound hurtful.. Over eating is what makes us overweight.

I get your frustration, I really do, and maybe you had no intention of creating such an uproar with your post.

Maybe you need to read it again and see how it made the uproar, or maybe we need to just suck up that you believe without question you are right. Of course believing and being are not always the same thing. Not saying either way in this case just stating.

Everyone is going to do things their own way, with their own bodies, and if doing things their own way leads to major health issues then that is their cross to bare. You went to school to help, not control, judge or ridicule, but to help. You went to school to become a nurse because it is what you wanted to do for a living.

We all have freedom of choices. We are all accountable to our own decisions. I really do get what you are saying, it is the manner in which you keep saying it that seems to be the problem.

Life is not black and white and there is many reasons a person does things. You went to school to help people, not be better than them. Not judging, just saying.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I for one trust healers more than some dr's and nurses. Do not get me wrong there is a need for Dr.s and Nurses for sure without question.

Being blunt or in your words honest is not the same as rude.

Being mad or getting frustrated when someone doesn't listen to you even though you know better, is more a form of righteousness not professionalism.

I deal with people every day that do not listen to what will work in their lives and then I get blamed. Does that make me rant and rave? No, because it is their life and because I would be lying as would each of you getting all up in arms about how people don't listen.....if I or you said we listened every time someone told us something that can help us...Growing up with our parents for just an example...

As far is being overweight because of long hours in University.. I have met many nurses, Dr.s, lawyers, I could keep going on, even a therapist like myself and yet none have blamed their schooling for their weight. Over eating...I know, don't mean to sound hurtful.. Over eating is what makes us overweight.

I get your frustration, I really do, and maybe you had no intention of creating such an uproar with your post.

Maybe you need to read it again and see how it made the uproar, or maybe we need to just suck up that you believe without question you are right. Of course believing and being are not always the same thing. Not saying either way in this case just stating.

Everyone is going to do things their own way, with their own bodies, and if doing things their own way leads to major health issues then that is their cross to bare. You went to school to help, not control, judge or ridicule, but to help. You went to school to become a nurse because it is what you wanted to do for a living.

We all have freedom of choices. We are all accountable to our own decisions. I really do get what you are saying, it is the manner in which you keep saying it that seems to be the problem.

Life is not black and white and there is many reasons a person does things. You went to school to help people, not be better than them. Not judging, just saying.

Well said.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended by the rant, not in the least bit. I almost completely agree. (I've been misdiagnosed and it's a pretty big deal. Nothing to do with my not asking the right questions, everything to do with negligence. So I'm leary of any and everyone.) I'm not a nurse, I couldn't handle nursing school what with all the poop clean ups and vomit.:sick: But I give nurses props for doing what I cannot. I'm still in the medical field though. I can handle blood and guts, but not poop or vomit. lol I know it's weird, but it's just me.:blushing:

I agree that there are way to many people on here looking for medical advice... and getting it from totally unqualified people. Not to mention taking nutritional advice from unqualified people. I wouldn't take nutritional advice from my doctor, but I'd rather her advise me than some random person on here. They might sound smart, but they might also have flunked out of the 9th grade. At least I know my doctor is real and so is her degree. Needless to say, when I question my nutrition, I do my own research and seek the help of a RD if I can't answer my own question.

I also agree that people aren't 100% with their doctors and still expect a miracle. They tend to think that because they feel ok, they are ok. A yearly physical never hurt anyone. Those diagnostic tests can detect things before you feel them. My aunt was just diagnosed with colon cancer that was discovered only because her appendix leaked. Had she not refused a conoloscopy for the past 15 years, perhaps she wouldn't be sitting in the hospital with a tube up her nose right now.

Then there's denial. People think it's not going to happen to them. They are invincible and can do whatever they want. My mom, for example, just found out she had a heart attack that she didn't know about. When I asked if she was ready to consider some lifestyle changes, she said, I'll see what the doctor says. When they said there was no permanent damage, she decided that meant she didn't have to do anything. So she's still smoking and eating butter on everything. I know that the next one won't be silent, but she chooses to live in denial. And when it does happen, she's going to blame the doctor that she doesn't bother to see on a yearly basis because there's nothing wrong with her. She's overweight because she's big boned, she has asthma because of the weather, and she can't climb a flight of stairs because she's getting old. No concern for her high sodium diet, 2 packs of Kools a day, or complete lack of anything exercize related. I'm thinking this is the kind of patient that drives you INSANE? Yeah, me too.

In spite of what it says under my avatar, I've been on this site for years. I have learned alot about research, moreso than anything else from MFP. I don't take anyone's word on here, but I do hold it in my memory bank and look into it if it relates to me. Then I discuss it with my doctor before I go and make any drastic changes. I like rants like this because it is so true. Everyone want something for nothing. I've seen the stuff about periods too. It drives me crazy because I know as A) an anorexic and B) having PCOS and PMDD, thats not something to take lightly. When the body isn't doing what it is supposed to do, something is wrong. It may be something that will work itself out, but it also may be a sign of something more serious. Better safe than sorry.

Anyways, thanks for this post. Let the haters hate. We always need to hear it like it is, even when.... especially when.... it hurts! I like your saying, "If the truth hurts, change it." I'm going to tweet that now. lol:drinker:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I suggest that people step away from this thread and gather your thoughts together and calm down.

This was a brilliant post to start with and could be really helpful to a lot of people.

However, please don't make things personal...you're risking a very informative thread being deleted because of the personal remarks.

Step away, have a cuppa and come back with a smile! :flowerforyou:

Tempers will flare when a debate starts, but the debates without the personal insults are far more educational for us all. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.