What do You Do for a Living?

Options

Replies

• Tem_loves_Vern
    Options
    I'm in the Air Force and althought fitness is supposed to be apart of my daily routine it was not so easy a few months ago. I work in an office and sitting at the computer all day and getting the energy later in the evening to work out was not happening. I've since changed my routine and added it to my lunch break and I feel so much better, physically and mentally.
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    I am an Accounts Payable Manager, so I sit all day.

I have a very hard time getting out to exercise in the am or pm because my commute is one hour each way. So I have started walking during my lunch. I just walk around the parking lot. I am sure my co-workers think I am crazy, but they will not think that once I start losing weight!!

I may have some walking buddies by then. :laugh:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I really loved reading about everyone's interesting jobs and lifestyles :)

I'm a legal researcher for an industrial hygiene company (primarily work in the area of asbestos-related lawsuits) I read/research/write documents all day long...but I love the regular hours because it allows me to fit in workouts pretty much every night after work (I used to be a special ed teacher and worked about12 hours a day plus commute time, plus lesson planning at home. Very glad to be in a new career!)

On the side I am a freelance photographer--I mostly shoot local bands and concerts so I am on my feet at shows a couple times a week. Any photographers...well ok anybody, feel free to friend/message me. I am loving all the support I am finding on MFP!
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Stay at home mom who's has been looking for a job. Anyone want to hire me?
  • cassieinor
    cassieinor Posts: 584
    Options
    Professional Pet Stylist (aka pet groomer) for the last 32 years. Owned my own business for the last 19 of those 32 years.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    I am a self employed Clairvoyant. After having a 5 year radio show I have just finished my pilot for our TV show and it is out in the market being sold. I teach intuition and the law of attraction and I am a Psychologist. I set my own hours so I work out whenever I can. My husband does all the cooking so that makes it easy and I have a 24 hour gym that I go to. When I am not either at the local pool or the pool here at home. I usually work out every day.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm a graphic designer and photographer for a school supply company in Baltimore, MD.

I get to design kick-*kitten* products for kids and teachers!

68309A_F.JPG
    68127A_F.JPG
    68225A_F.JPG

Love it
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm an unemployed Pharmacy Technician. Hoping I can find something soon.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly a stay-at-home mom. Every couple years, I take a job for a while, and this summer, I'm working as attendant at one of the cleanest laundromats in the US. (I have that information from several RVers from all over).

I love both jobs, and the kids are getting old enough that we exercise together.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) of a teenager who will be graduating next month.
    I am also the editor of my dad's company's newsletter which I put together on my home computer & email it to an employee who sends it out on the company website.
    I can complete the monthly newsletter in a week & then have 3 weeks to do as I please. So, I have nothing to stop me from exercising - but me.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I work full time at McDonald's. Long hours standing in a very hot grill area, so I try to drink lots of water. For lunch we don't have a refrigerator or microwave in the break room so you have to eat the food there. I try to make healthier choices for sandwiches but almost every thing is very high in sodium.
  • IslanderLily
    IslanderLily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a decorative artist and professional faux finisher..most people have no clue what that means and if they think they do, they are usually wrong. I do custom finishes on walls, ceilings, furniture..you name it., using glazes, paint, plasters etc to achieve whatever finish someone points at and say "make it look like that". I also do Venetian plaster and murals, stenciling, antiquing blah blah blah. What it boils down to is a lot of time on ladders, monkeying up and down on tall scaffolds, and a heck of a lot of "wax on wax off" and "paint the fence" motions. I LOVE my job, it provides me with a huge creative outlet(that pays well, which is nice :D ) and it can be, for the most part, very labor intensive.. but it's just not enough to keep off the weight, so here I am!!!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i am a brand manager for a major healthcare company, currently working in the international side of infant formulas. it's mostly a desk job, so that's why i feel the need to exercise daily, so i can get my booty moving and shaking! ;) my job also has regular hours so i can consistently make it to classes at the gym. i'll be moving to los angeles area this summer for my final rotation of my job program. definitely am looking forward to living near the beaches and biking/running along it! it really helps that LA is really health-conscious, so the environment will be very conducive to me reaching my goals here! :)
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I launched my own business last year and work as a portrait photographer. However, I haven’t had a client since December, so it feels odd saying that I do it for a living. My primary occupation these days is caring for my 3 1/2-year-old daughter and praying to the gods that some more work flows my way (I am also a contract e-learning instructional designer). Right now I work out whenever I want and generally cook three meals a day from scratch.
  • JulieChocolate
    JulieChocolate Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bet I can beat everyone: I have owned and operated a bakery for 10 years. I never get tired of sugar so it is such a huge temptation every day. I've done Weight Watchers, The Zone, Adkins, South Beach and others. My goal this time is more of the "clean eating" and doing it every 2-3 hours in smaller portions. The issue is that I feel like I am ALWAYS hungry.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I work full-time as a Personal Assistant for a Federal Govt research organisation. I'm a widow with a 21 yo son and an 18 yo daughter, both at university.

I get up at 5.30 four times a week to ride my bike 30 kms. I get up once a week at 6.00 to go to the gym and once a week (on the weekend), I get up at 7.00 to ride 45 kms with my friends. I have also started to go to Bikram yoga twice a week.

I don't love my job but it gives me the flexibility to fit in the other things in my life I give a high priority to.

GG
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I'm a legal assistant too! It's definitely hard to get in exercise during the day, but making those extra trips to the copy room or trying to stand while you aren't forced to type up those pleadings helps! I also try to walk a lot during my breaks. I take public transportation so it gives me a good 10 minute walk to and from work. Also, I am unsure if this actually works, but I heard tightening your stomach muscles while you are sitting at your desk can help to build a stronger core. Basically, I try to move around as much as I can.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I currently work corporate security, but my position is called flex office, which means I am on-call 24/7, work all over central TX (from Waco down to San Marcos) and work all kinds of shifts and jobs (currently over 45 sites in the central TX region). One day I could be working a desk job for some big fortune 500 company or walking a beat for 8 hours. Work 4, 8, 12 and 16 hour shifts, first, second and third shift. So working out depends on the schedule that week. I try to hit the gym for at least an hour 6-7 days a week, schedule permitting.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I work in Mortgage Loss mitigation, I also work as a part time film editor/event videographer, AND work part time in an upscale Irish Restaurant.
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a probation officer, 95 % at the desk, tons of paperwork, on the phone all the time. I do home visits too, but in the office I try to drink as much water as I can. I work out eary in the morning around 5:30 am or late in the evening around 6:00 pm. I am also a graduate student, so of course on the computer when I get off work. I stay busy with church activities, family activities & projects around the house & with my 9 year old who cant stay still!